delay problems when launching "some" of my videos.
Hell'o,
long time user of xbmc on my hard-moded xbox, i bought one of the new mac minis (80go HD, 1go RAM) to make a HTPC with my hdtv.
Everything works fine except when launching some of my videos.
The installation is :
- the mini (hosting the pictures)
- a 160go HD with all my ripped music
- a 120go for the dramas of my wife
- a 500go for tv_shows, fun videos, music clips and movies
- a 320go for backup purpose
The last usb port is used when i need to sync my ipod.

I customized the pictures link in xbmc to directly point to the folder with all my pics (easier for my wife).
I customized the music link in xbmc to point to the 160go HD.
I created a shortcuts in xbmc with two sources, the 500go and the 120go and put that shortcut by default when opening the movie link in xbmc.

When i browse, sometimes, it seems slow but with so much things, i can understand.
My problem is when i want to watch a clip or an iso of a dvd : it takes so long to start, and without showing any activity.
When i want to see an music clip of 5min, it can take 45sec to start and often the sound starts before the video (without losing the sync).
I ripped my favourites movies in iso and when i want to watch them, same problem, it takes so long (like 60sec) to start.

I have not that problem with movies, tv_shows or itunes podcasts like happy tree friend. I even tested 720p mkv movies, without that kind of delay.
It is bearable but if someone has information or an idea, ...

I use the latest XBMC. I hadn't that kind of delay when watching the same music videos with my xbox and at least, when it was long, buffering an iso file, i had a progress bar.

Thank for any help,

Nerd
not a clue with any indication of which version you are running Smile
Hell'o,
the version i use is :
8.10.bf1 (SVN-16366M)
Nerd
If it happens with files that are in folders together with many other files, look for a thread talking about 'statfiles'
Thanks for the idea.
I'll try tomorrow to modify/create an advancedsettings.xml.
Still, i'm wondering : the posts i found with the keyword statfiles are about smb shares, and folders with a lot of things inside.
Since my case is not about smb protocol, could it help to split the content into subfolders ?

Thanks for the trail,
Cool
Hell'o again,
i did the advancesettings. xml thing without seeing significant changes then a split my 260 clips into subfolders (by artists name) and found it needed less time to launch.
i do not remember having that kind of problem with my xbox but well now i know how to solve that kind of problem : split the content of a folder into subfolders.
Thanks for the trail...

Cool
Then it might be related to the same problem, xbmc gets the extended attributes from ALL the files when you enter a folder and then do it AGAIN when you choose one file to be played. A gentle developer created the "statfiles" parameter to solve this problem with SMB shares, but maybe the same thing happens with local data.

Glad to know you found a solution.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
delay problems when launching "some" of my videos.0