Changes to how the HD posters work
So I've just discovered (having suspected it for a while) that it is possible to do the HD thumbnails without the need for a duplicate file. It does mean having to use the folder structure for your movies, though, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway.

So if you have:

Wonderful Days (folder) -> Wonderful Days.mkv
movie.tbn
movie.nfo
fanart.jpg

...that's all you need to have HD thumbnails. Well, you only really need the movie.tbn in there along with the movie.

I'm pondering whether to leave the old -big.png system in for people who've changed their stuff around, but I'm leaning towards switching entirely to the folder structure which seems superior in every way.
And this reads the movie.tbn directly and not the cached one?
that's awesome. one thing i've been wondering for a while though... i use the movie name as my .tbn file and not just 'movie'. so in this case it would be Wonderful Days.tbn. is that what people mean when they say 'movie.tbn'? or can you actually use just that? and if this new system is implimented, will i need to rename mine?

regards,

mass

P.S, i haven't said it yet, but thanks for an amazing skin.
Q6600, ASUS P5W, 6GB DDR2 and 2.5TB RAID running Mac OS X 10.5.5 and XBMC
xbox v1.0 (softmod) XBMC Dash
djh_ Wrote:So I've just discovered (having suspected it for a while) that it is possible to do the HD thumbnails without the need for a duplicate file. It does mean having to use the folder structure for your movies, though, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway.

So if you have:

Wonderful Days (folder) -> Wonderful Days.mkv
movie.tbn
movie.nfo
fanart.jpg

...that's all you need to have HD thumbnails. Well, you only really need the movie.tbn in there along with the movie.

I'm pondering whether to leave the old -big.png system in for people who've changed their stuff around, but I'm leaning towards switching entirely to the folder structure which seems superior in every way.

This is good news, but I'm a little confused. The way my movies are currently organized is like this...

I have a folder called "The Dark Knight (2008)" which contains the following files:

The Dark Knight (2008).mkv
The Dark Knight (2008).tbn
The Dark Knight (2008)-fanart.jpg
The Dark Knight (2008)-trailer.mov

Is this correct or do I literally need to have them named "movie.tbn" or "fanart.jpg" without the title of the movie in the filename?
Superb, the notion that my xbmc folder is 1gig+ has always struck me as a tad silly and pointless considering I already have the image files required elsewhere.

I'm a happy bunny Big Grin
I've always wondered and have always been confused by the necessity of "movie.tbn", "movie.nfo" and "fanart.jpg" files in the same folder as the movie itself or even it's existence at all.

I mean, when I use the built in scrappers, all the information that's normally in the files described above, XBMC keeps it somewhere right? XBMC itself has fanart, movie informations and movie thumbnails, why do these files exist? Why was this functionality created? What are the advantages of having these files instead of just XBMC's database? And one last question, theses files are only created by apps like MIP and Media Companion right?

I really want to know...

P.S: If this is not the appropriate place for this post, please some moderador move it. If not and you intend to delete it, please let me now first so I can copy the post to a new thread...
Note that there is a GOOD reason why XBMC has cache for images... (ie. network latency...)

It would be nice, if this option is configurable from Aeon, so that one can define "local" location for HQ images.
"which seems superior in every way." Smile

Thanks I was dreading making -big files. This will work out perfect.
I hope -big.png system will stay alongside the new system. I use bluray and hddvd covers as .tbn files and movie posters as -big.png files.

Nazgulled, I like to have all nfo, fanart, tbn, and big.png files so i am in total control. I can also take my harddrive with me and connect it to different mac without need to scrape all info from internet. And it also works with computers that are off line.
I think it'll have to be movie.tbn only, tbh. Given the extreme limitations on this feature anyway, I don't really have the luxury of options.
El Massman Wrote:that's awesome. one thing i've been wondering for a while though... i use the movie name as my .tbn file and not just 'movie'. so in this case it would be Wonderful Days.tbn. is that what people mean when they say 'movie.tbn'? or can you actually use just that? and if this new system is implimented, will i need to rename mine?

regards,

mass

P.S, i haven't said it yet, but thanks for an amazing skin.

When people say "movie.tbn" they really mean the word "movie." Assuming each movie is in its own separate folder, this makes for an awful lot of convenience. Specifically, you can change or rename the movie file itself, but keep all the old settings without having to rename everything.

As to whether you'll have to rename each tbn to "movie.tbn" I have no answer.
natethomas Wrote:When people say "movie.tbn" they really mean the word "movie." Assuming each movie is in its own separate folder, this makes for an awful lot of convenience. Specifically, you can change or rename the movie file itself, but keep all the old settings without having to rename everything.

As to whether you'll have to rename each tbn to "movie.tbn" I have no answer.

agreed.
Nazgulled Wrote:I've always wondered and have always been confused by the necessity of "movie.tbn", "movie.nfo" and "fanart.jpg" files in the same folder as the movie itself or even it's existence at all.

This allows portability. I can delete XBMC entirely, and not have a concern that any of the data that i've collected in the DB might be lost. When I rescan the media it'll pull the information locally instead of going out to the net to get the information. It's better for the users, and it's better for the service provides that the scrapers use but we only grab the info once instead of each time was reinstall XBMC (For some reinstall of XBMC happens quite often).

As for this feature, the fewer the files the better in my opinion. I wouldn't mind embedding the data in the movie file, but that's really really far fetched, but I could keep all of my movies in one single directory and just store the movie files and have everything inside them. Just a pipe dream really.
I hope you keep both ways in tact, Duncan. That is a lot of work to do for people with large libraries in order to create all those folders and then rename all their nfo, tbn, and fanart files.
smcnally75 Wrote:I hope you keep both ways in tact, Duncan. That is a lot of work to do for people with large libraries in order to create all those folders and then rename all their nfo, tbn, and fanart files.

Agreed on that one. Well sure you could write a small programm doing all of the work for you but I'm no fan of tons of folders and subfolders. Rather keep all the files belonging together in the same folder with a good name convention.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Changes to how the HD posters work0