Changes to how the HD posters work
MIP will also have this function for file level items, if configured to do so, to automatically move and create all the needed files. It's on my todo list.

Folders also rock as you can use the Media Images (cover, inserts, inlay, disc image, etc) and even get those into the skin Big Grin
fekker Wrote:Folders also rock as you can use the Media Images (cover, inserts, inlay, disc image, etc) and even get those into the skin Big Grin
That's kinda pointless IMO.
I was reluctant to use folders at first but now I could never go back to the mess of one folder containing everything.
It's also easier when I want to remove a movie - find the folder and delete.
Hitcher Wrote:I was reluctant to use folders at first but now I could never go back to the mess of one folder containing everything.
It's also easier when I want to remove a movie - find the folder and delete.

I second that. It really makes my life easier too.

I think it took me about 2 hours to rename and move about 4-500 movies.
I used the following naming convention: {Movie Name} ({Year}).{extension}

Right now all the thumbnail/nfo and fanart files are also name the same way ({Movie Name} ({Year}).{extension}). If at some point i will have to rename them to movie.{extension} all i'll have to do is a global renaming, which shouldn't take more than a minute or so.

- Cas
Nazgulled Wrote:So, you are saying that with this new update djh_ is doing to Aeon, I have to explicitly set a movie per folder?

Only Duncan can anwer that, but it sounds like the answer is "Yes" if you want HD posters on the info screen.
djh_ Wrote:So I've just discovered (having suspected it for a while) that it is possible to do the HD thumbnails without the need for a duplicate file. It does mean having to use the folder structure for your movies, though, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway.

So if you have:

Wonderful Days (folder) -> Wonderful Days.mkv
movie.tbn
movie.nfo
fanart.jpg

...that's all you need to have HD thumbnails. Well, you only really need the movie.tbn in there along with the movie.

I'm pondering whether to leave the old -big.png system in for people who've changed their stuff around, but I'm leaning towards switching entirely to the folder structure which seems superior in every way.

What if it's 2 files for one movie.

Star Wars.disk1.mvk
Star Wars.disk1.nfo
Star Wars.disk1.tbn
Star Wars.disk1.fanart.jpg
Star Wars.disk2.mvk
Star Wars.disk2.nfo
Star Wars.disk2.tbn
Star Wars.disk2.fanart.jpg

How would it work and also would this work if I'm using Media Companion
Quote:I second that. It really makes my life easier too.

I think it took me about 2 hours to rename and move about 4-500 movies.
I used the following naming convention: {Movie Name} ({Year}).{extension}

easierHuh?

seriously guys i was under the impression that its one of the the tasks Xbmc should solve, using an extra 23 apps just to get other fanart or what ever then what Xbmc allready set up for u seems like hard labour to me, and doing it for 500 movies and more,
NO WAY!!!

As for me the only thing i'm willing to do after downloading the torrent with deluge is "move to storage" and let Xbmc do is thing.
thats why i like Xbmc that much.

just my 2 cent.

cheers
I understand your guys point view, actually, I do almost what you do... I prefer to have one folder per movie and that's what I have. I don't have all movies inside the same folder if it was that what you understood.

For most movies, it's one folder for movie. Now, for Star Wars, I prefer to have a folder named "Star Wars Saga" and put all six movies there, for The Matrix I prefer to have "The Matrix Trilogy" and put all 3 movies there, the same goes for "The Lord of the Rings Trilogy", etc... Stuff like that only...
Okey dokey. I've done it so you can use either the movie.tbn or the previous -big.png method. No need to pick one or the other - it'll just use what's there.
I can understand the frustration of having to rebuild an entire collection. I was using direct image tagging in MIP to flag all my posters with the media tags. While MIP will fix alot of the general issues with Auto Pilot, I know I'll have to actually look at every movie to make sure it gets them all right. If this is the path you're choosing, there isn't really an easy way out.

It really boils down to preference. What do you prefer? Appearance or convenience? If convenience is what you need, Aeon Stark isn't for you right now. It probably will be much easier in the future, but right now it will add some frustration. Is the work worth it for you? That's the question you have to answer. Most tech geeks will probably answer "Hella Yes!", we strive for the challenge, but I understand the need for something to just work. Wives, girlfriends, regular folks and even our kids are not so forgiving. Aeon Stark needs some time to mature a bit, so hold off on the excitement just a bit and keep checking back til its all solid.

The main issue (as I see it) with the media tagging stuff is that XBMC itself needs a base media tagging facility. This is in the works. I am sure it requires extensions in many directions to support properly. As such, it has already been stated that it won't be supported in 9.04 (next stable version). Since the XBMC developers are in a feature freeze, we also will not see this in any of the incremental builds until after 9.04 is released. This new feature would make life easier for both the skin designers and the users. The media tagging looks like a longer term feature, so if you want the pretty stuff Aeon provides, you have to play along with the workarounds they are providing and sacrifice some short term convenience.

Its actually a piece of brilliance to use the skinning engine to provide features the core currently doesn't provide on its own. I greatly appreciate the work that DJH, Fekker, Digitalhigh and others are putting into modifications in the skins and their own media manager programs to support something as "trivial" as media format tagging. However, the larger your collection gets, the more important these things actually become to you. Keep in mind that once the tagging is supported in the core, all this work people are doing to provide the tagging is somewhat wasted work. Knowing this, these folks are still pushing out the fixes to get this working. Time and skill they are providing happily (or maybe not as much Laugh) free of charge.

This may sound a bit like a rant, so I am sorry if it seems that way. However, my purpose here is just to deflect some of the frustrations I expect a few people are having. If it seems too much, just wait a bit. Its likely things will clarify sooner than you think.
Remember that these are optional flags that you can turn off, and optional HD posters that you don't have to use. They're not quite the price of entry you're suggesting.
webmosher Wrote:Wives, girlfriends, regular folks and even our kids are not so forgiving. Aeon Stark needs some time to mature a bit, so hold off on the excitement just a bit and keep checking back til its all solid.

Are you generalising a little? I mean, sure, the majority of users here may be men. But i'm sure there are women (regardless of their relationships status) using XBMC and are up for the challenge. I can speak for kids (well, teenagers) that i sure do enjoy the challenge, and i'm sure there are plenty of other teenagers on here, right?
I have another question I put all my movies into they own directory and deleted MyVideo32 (something like that) and tried to redo the Library but it scanned in 2 second and it was done. I looked at it was empty is there an option I need to turn on the to get "scan new content" to work with this way?

Thanks

Sorry Figure it out. Been awhile since I used XBMC Wiki Smile
Just to be clear, if we don't have every movie in a separate folder we can't take advantage of this?
You can. Just use the old method.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Changes to how the HD posters work0