Noob w/XBMC - installs won't run
I HAVE searched so if this is somewhere else, tell so I can look, I've installed on an XP SP3 fully patched P4/2.4 and it installs with no problems indicated, but when I try to run I get an error caused in the exe.

Tried a clean boot, same thing, I've NO IDEA where to go from here.
Core 2/Duo 3.3g, 8Gb Memory, Win7/x32, Remote Wonder stuffed into a Antec Theatre Case.
SageTV, Kodi.
There needs to be a sticky entitled "Why XBMC will install but not run."

Alright, so you haven't posted a log, your hardware config, or anything else, but I bet I can figure out the problem.

If your video card is ATI or NVIDIA, download the latest driver.
If your video card is INTEL, download the latest driver from the intel website. If that doesn't work, maybe check the Microsoft website.

Almost certainly you are currently running a card that has not been updated to OpenGL 2.0 specs. If this does not help, see the sticky that describes how to post a problem.
OH, and download either the alpha of XBMC 9.04 found here:

http://xbmc.org/blog/2009/04/05/xbmc-904...-released/

or the lastest SVN found here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35452&page=49
You can put every sticky up there and people still do not read them. Its almost pointless. Everyone wants "NOW".
natethomas Wrote:There needs to be a sticky entitled "Why XBMC will install but not run."

Alright, so you haven't posted a log, your hardware config, or anything else, but I bet I can figure out the problem.

If your video card is ATI or NVIDIA, download the latest driver.
If your video card is INTEL, download the latest driver from the intel website. If that doesn't work, maybe check the Microsoft website.

Almost certainly you are currently running a card that has not been updated to OpenGL 2.0 specs. If this does not help, see the sticky that describes how to post a problem.

Thanks for all the help, and flack. IF there HAD been a log I'd have posted it.

My fault for not being a bit more informative regarding my hardware, but I'd gotten ahead of myself, and thought I'd already quoted the spec's.

- YES I DO have an ATI card and YES I DO have the latest drivers.

You claim there is a sticky that deals with this - where? I read them all.
So I'm assuming there isn't one, therefore there should be a sticky that reads - in part - "Installs but will not run" as it seems this is a problem that occurs often, because IF - and I did - you SEARCH using those words - and gee I even spelled them correctly - you'll come up with ZIP/NOTHING/NADA, so instead of ripping me, why not fix the bloody problem and act like grown ups.
Core 2/Duo 3.3g, 8Gb Memory, Win7/x32, Remote Wonder stuffed into a Antec Theatre Case.
SageTV, Kodi.
Does it complain about msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll at all in the crash? Also does it make a log file? What version are you trying to install?
SlaveUnit Wrote:Does it complain about msvcp71.dll and msvcr71.dll at all in the crash? Also does it make a log file? What version are you trying to install?

There is NO log file - not that I can find. It starts, asks for Internet access, and then "this application ... debug/close".

I've got no where to go.
SageTV, Kodi.
Once again. What version are you trying to install?
SlaveUnit Wrote:Once again. What version are you trying to install?

Sorry missed that - 8.10 and tried 9.03.
SageTV, Kodi.
I didn't claim there was such a sticky. I very clearly said, "there needs to be a sticky," which is an indication that there is not one. The only sticky that I said existed was the one that explains how to properly describe a problem.

Alright, here should be how to get a log file. Install a recent version. This means 9.04 or an SVN. When the installer asks, don't attempt to install the portable version. Install the default mode.

Attempt to run XBMC. Watch it crash.

Now the log file should have been created. Go to this location.

C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\XBMC

It's possible that "AppData" will not be visible. In that case, you'll just have to type in that location. This is where a file called xbmc.log should be located. There may also be an xbmc.old.log file.

Post the log file the way the stick tells you to post it.
Note: This describes how to get a log file under Vista or Windows 7. I'm not sure if it is exactly the same under XP.

Wait, I just checked. Under the "how to" sticky it says you get the XP log file from this folder:

c:\Documents and Settings\[user]\Application Data\XBMC\

Of course, you replace "[user]" with your own user name.
natethomas Wrote:I didn't claim there was such a sticky. I very clearly said, "there needs to be a sticky," which is an indication that there is not one. The only sticky that I said existed was the one that explains how to properly describe a problem.

Alright, here should be how to get a log file. Install a recent version. This means 9.04 or an SVN. When the installer asks, don't attempt to install the portable version. Install the default mode.

Attempt to run XBMC. Watch it crash.

Now the log file should have been created. Go to this location.

C:\Users\(your user name)\AppData\Roaming\XBMC

It's possible that "AppData" will not be visible. In that case, you'll just have to type in that location. This is where a file called xbmc.log should be located. There may also be an xbmc.old.log file.

Post the log file the way the stick tells you to post it.

Ok, here it is. I see errors but nothing that would cause a complete stop:

14:38:07 T:1424 M:548663296 NOTICE: Mapping drive Z to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\cache
14:38:07 T:1424 M:548163584 NOTICE: Mapping drive T to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\userdata
14:38:07 T:1424 M:556146688 NOTICE: Mapping drive Q to C:\Program Files\XBMC
14:38:07 T:1424 M:556146688 NOTICE: Mapping drive U to C:\Program Files\XBMC
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559874048 NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559869952 NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 build 2600. Built on Nov 13 2008 (compiler 1500)
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559869952 NOTICE: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559869952 NOTICE: Desktop Resolution: 1024x768 32Bit at 60Hz
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559869952 NOTICE: Q is mapped to: C:\Program Files\XBMC
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559869952 NOTICE: The executable running is: C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559869952 NOTICE: Log File is located: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\xbmc.log
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559869952 NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
14:38:08 T:1424 M:559738880 NOTICE: Setup SDL
14:38:08 T:1424 M:558477312 NOTICE: load settings...
14:38:08 T:1424 M:558465024 NOTICE: Mapping drive P to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\userdata
14:38:08 T:1424 M:558460928 NOTICE: loading C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml
14:38:08 T:1424 M:558432256 ERROR: Unable to load C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml, creating new C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\guisettings.xml with default values
14:38:09 T:1424 M:549179392 NOTICE: Getting hardware information now...
14:38:09 T:1424 M:549179392 NOTICE: Checking resolution 10
14:38:09 T:1424 M:549179392 NOTICE: Setting autoresolution mode 12
14:38:09 T:1424 M:549167104 NOTICE: No advancedsettings.xml to load (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\advancedsettings.xml)
14:38:09 T:1424 M:549224448 NOTICE: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\sources.xml
14:38:09 T:1424 M:549224448 ERROR: CSettings::Load Error loading C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\sources.xml: Line 0, Failed to open file
SageTV, Kodi.
Is that the whole log file? If not, I suggest pasting in the full log file using one the sites at the bottom of the first post on this thread, after following the steps outlined below.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=42708

First, uninstall XBMC. When it asks if you want to uninstall userdata, say yes. If it doesn't ask that, go back to the XBMC folder where you got the log, and delete it.

Second, install an up-to-date version of XBMC from this webpage:

Run XBMC.

Paste the full debug log, possibly using this site.

http://www.pastebin.com/

edit: Sometimes getting all the info is like pulling teeth! (I'm adding this because I realized I didn't give you any flack on this one. Wink )
natethomas Wrote:Is that the whole log file? If not, I suggest pasting in the full log file using one the sites at the bottom of the first post on this thread, after following the steps outlined below.

That's it.

natethomas Wrote:First, uninstall XBMC. When it asks if you want to uninstall userdata, say yes. If it doesn't ask that, go back to the XBMC folder where you got the log, and delete it.

I HAD uninstalled it, and interestingly it did NOT ask where it wanted me to install, yet installed the user/data files in the docs and settings folder.

natethomas Wrote:Second, install an up-to-date version of XBMC from this webpage:

Run XBMC.

OVER this install?

natethomas Wrote:Paste the full debug log, possibly using this site.

http://www.pastebin.com/

edit: Sometimes getting all the info is like pulling teeth! (I'm adding this because I realized I didn't give you any flack on this one. Wink )

Love and kisses ;-)

Now, that really is the whole thing. I've been doing IT since very large very cold rooms with very large machines. I gave up any real meaningful programming due to physical and memory problems, so I do know what you're after, but that really is all there was. I deleted it and ran the proggie again and it was verbatim - this is why I've no idea where to even start.

Now then, the machine which is basically a test bed, is a P4/2.4 with an ASUS P4B533 Mobo , a gig of memory and an ATi Radeon AIO board - nothing else that's remarkable.
SageTV, Kodi.
Crazy stuff. Alright, no, do not install over the old install. Uninstall the old install. Delete the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\XBMC

Install from this website:

Try running again. If it crashes, post that log file.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob w/XBMC - installs won't run0