New Xbmc Build
I am building a new media rig for me brother and wanted some advice before I start installing.

I know there has been countless threads about how run xbmc runs on different os's etc but searching all the different threads has not given me the answer I need.

Basically I have run xbmc on Win 7, Win Vista and xp myself but my setup is slightly different to the rig I have built for him.

The specs :

Intel core 2 Duo 2.6ghz
4gb ddr2 running at 1066
XFX Geforce 9600 1.5gb
Asus D2X Xonar with hd output to amp
2x 16gb solid state drives running raid 0 300mb read 180mb write

The rig will be used on a 42 inch hd tv running at 1920x1080 via dvi->hdmi

Basically I want to know from anyone will sinilar specs to what you found the best os for xbmc is. Nothing else is going to be running on the rig apart from xbmc. I want to avoid putting linux on the box because me brother has no idea about linux and knows windows so wishes to stick with what he knows.

Options on Os's are... Windows 7 32 or 64 bit, Windows Vista 32 or 64 or Windows XP 32 or 64.

SO far I have cvome to teh conlusion myself that XP 32bit could be the best but I would like confirmation from others with opinions. Also if you suggest xp would you go with sp3 or stick with sp2.

Please avoid all FANBOY responses to this I dont care if one is flasher than another I would like just proven feedback for the ultimate setup to allow xbmc run as smooth as possible with mentioned kit.

Thanks.
XMBC Live. Yea I know it's linux, but it really doesn't matter if you only will be running XMBC on the box. Just follow this page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live

"It is as simple as 1, 2, 3"
(Quote from that page)
cewan Wrote:XBMC Live. Yea I know it's linux, but it really doesn't matter if you only will be running XBMC on the box. Just follow this page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Live

"It is as simple as 1, 2, 3"
(Quote from that page)

ok thanks I will give that a look tonight.

Is there any known issues with live when using The new Aeon skin or using a Microsoft IR with a Logitech Harmony remote?
I am using Harmony remote with XBMC live, works fine :-)
Haven't tried Aeon yet though.
cewan Wrote:I am using Harmony remote with XBMC live, works fine :-)
Haven't tried Aeon yet though.

How would the live install handle usb attached hd's which are ntfs formatted?

IGNORE THIS Smile
As to the original question, there should be no practical difference among all windows versions. Particularly with that much RAM installed. Some have argued that XP is slightly faster, but I'm guessing there's a placebo effect. Also, I don't know about XP 64 driver support. It might be worth making sure that's up to snuff.
Really whatever you are comfortable with. I've run Vista x64 but I'm back to XP x86 and happy.

I would ask why the 2 SSDs in a RAID array though? If you are just running XBMC and, I assume, streaming media from a networked server, what's the point of the RAIDed SSDs?
The only problems i had with xp vs vista on my setup, was bluray playback.
I could not get xp to handle bluray at all, but vista worked great.

Not sure if you're planning on adding a bluray drive anytime soon, but that might be something to think about.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you Image Read Me First

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Xbmc Build0