Starting XBMC remotely
Scenario:
I have a headerless MS WHS running XBMC in my cellar with HDMI and optical cabling to the lounge to my HD Plasma and surround system.

Issue:
As I don't have a keyboard/mouse/monitor directly connected to WHS in cellar I would like to remotely start XBMC

Now I've tried using the WHS Console remotely, tried Remote Desktop from XP but each time I try to start XBMC using these methods it will not start giving the error about Color Depth which is driving me mad.

Can anyone suggest a solution please?

Thanks
You could try a program called TinyVNC. Unlike Remote Desktop it leaves the main console session in place and just remote controls it.
dj_gerbil Wrote:You could try a program called TinyVNC. Unlike Remote Desktop it leaves the main console session in place and just remote controls it.

Thanks I've tried UltraVNC and that didn't work. Trying to Goolgle TinyVNC to be able to download it but can't seem to find it every other flavour of VNC is coming up but not Tiny! Do you have a url by any chance?

Thanks
doesn´t really matter which client you use.. VNC is a standard protocol... which doesn´t let you use video overlay or direct3d in any kind of "usefull"..
XBMC on Win7
Zotac IONITX-A
Sorry meant to say TightTVC. Here's the link http://www.tightvnc.com/ And demalak, I know it won't allow you to do direct3d and so on, but if I'm understanding the poster correctly he's just trying to start XBMC remotely not use it remotely although I may be wrong. Another approach maybe to start XBMC automatically via a shortcut in the Startup folder and then perhaps a bluetooth or RF keyboard/remote??
you could also use logmein.com

the only problem is you cannot control xbmc well (if at all) using this method, but I know from experience that you can at least start it.
Thanks for the help thus far guys

So I've installed UltraVNC and I can connect and see the press CTRL+ALT+DEL to login,etc

but for some reason the VNC options such as the ability to send CTRL+ALT+DEL to the server don't work....

This is driving me mad!!

Anyone know why this might not be working?

Thanks
TightVNC is very better than UltraVNC for several reasons. I can't name any of them but get rid of UltraVNC and install TightVNC instead. As well us the TightVNC client as it has more features than the UltraVNC client.
I agree with Maxim, Get rid of UltraVNC and go with TightVNC. I don't know why but TightVNC seems to be a lot more stable and a lot more reliable.
If using VNC or RDP make sure you set it to use the remote systems resolution and color bit-depth. Your issue with RDP was probably because it was set to reduce the color to 8-bit which XBMC doesn't like.

Another way to do what you want is this:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Re...Exec.shtml

It's a freeware program that will start an application on a remote computer. No need to VNC if you just want to start XBMC and not do any remote administration.
I use teamviewer to do mine. check it out (google it)
Another issue that hasn't been addressed is remotely turning the machine on. In order to do so the machine must be put to sleep first otherwise it's "off." If it's asleep it can be woken up using a magic packet on the network. There are several applications available to generate magic packets. The only issue is you'll need another computer to generate the magic packet. Otherwise you'll have to rig up a physical power switch that's long enough to turn on the machine from the room upstairs.

Also make sure the humidity is pretty low in the cellar otherwise it could cause issues with the computer hardware over time. Good place to put it for temperature-wise, but bad for humidity.
y not use a remote control to control your pc using a ir reply, i have a button on mine that i press to start xbmc.
steve2493 Wrote:y not use a remote control to control your pc using a ir reply, i have a button on mine that i press to start xbmc.

Because my WHS is in the cellar and not near to the TV
You know you can use an IR sender that'll allow you to send the IR signals to your cellar so steve's idea would work?? You could also look at an X10 remote which uses RF instead of IR allowing you to control the PC from another room.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting XBMC remotely0