mkv large files - no sound
Hi folks,

I have had some issues of running XBMC with some large mkv file (4Gb and larger, some at more than 10 Gb each movie). Below is my full specs:

System: Intel Quad Core Q9400 at 3.0Hz
Memory: 8GB
Hard drive ~ 4TB
Video card: GTX 260
XBMC: ppa version (9.10 R20884) with MediaStream 1.00

Those mkv files' videos (encoded x264) run fine but without sound. Running those mkv files with SMPlayer or VLC without any problem, so it is not that those fiiles are broken.

Do I miss something or do I have to install any kind of codecs? I found this post but reencoding those huge files seem not to be a good solution. Also since other players run just fine, I hope that XBMC runs those files without any other effort.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

D.
I'd start by using mediainfo to identify exactly which type of files are causing problems. Also, a log wouldn't hurt.
fasteddy Wrote:I'd start by using mediainfo to identify exactly which type of files are causing problems. Also, a log wouldn't hurt.
Could you please instruct more detail? How do I use mediainfo?
fasteddy Wrote:Also, a log wouldn't hurt.
Here is the log file with the mkv file named Internal Affair I.mkv.

Thanks,

D.
dunno if it helps, but try "sudo killall pulseaudio" and/or "./configure --disable-pulse && make && sudo make install" next time you svn up.
Don't cut your log. Paste the full log - it contains helpful information. For mediainfo, do a Google search.
fasteddy Wrote:Don't cut your log. Paste the full log - it contains helpful information. For mediainfo, do a Google search.

Sorry, it was a long log cause I ran XBMC for long. I shut it down, started it again and ran Internal Affair I.mkv only. Here is the log.

I will try mediainfo and will post it back here later today.
slacker666 Wrote:dunno if it helps, but try "sudo killall pulseaudio" and/or "./configure --disable-pulse && make && sudo make install" next time you svn up.

Not sure here either, and I have not tried it yet, but it seems to happen to some specific mkv formats, so I dont know I should disable pulse when installing XBMC. Also I use the repository, not the source. Should I use the source (svn) version anywayHuh

Thanks,

D.
It seems to me that not only large mkv movies, but xbmc mutes when playing some other avi files as well (about 600-700MB) whereas SMPlayer or VLC plays just fine.

Is there a way of adding codecs to XBMC?

Thanks,

D.
dukevn Wrote:It seems to me that not only large mkv movies, but xbmc mutes when playing some other avi files as well (about 600-700MB) whereas SMPlayer or VLC plays just fine.

Is there a way of adding codecs to XBMC?

Thanks,

D.

I found temporary solution: change Audio to Analog and now all files (mkv etc...) run fine with audio. Why Analog Audio matters here? Anybody has the same problem?

Thanks,

D.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mkv large files - no sound0