[Linux] Only Stereo, no DTS or Digital 5.1 output
ok, when i play musik or "normal" encodet movies and look with "o" the status bar, everything with mp3 in front is playing, but when i try to play a DVD there is "ac3" in front, or "dts" and both are not playing.
even with stereo there is "ac3" in front, and also not playing... maybe is there a codec missing??
new system in the house...
pico, do you really need a full jaunty installation, especially the 64bit version?
I would recommend downloading the XBMC live distribution, burn to CD and boot, and see if, with the same settings, you can get multichannel via HDMI.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
i don't need a full installation, but it shouldn't be normaly a big problem to get something like sound to work...

one more info, if i disable ac3 in xbmc settings, the stereo output works in dvd's but still no dts...
I also have this problem. Same motherboard.
After installing xbmcLive 9.04.1 all sound stopped working. When I had the 8.10 everything worked fine.

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1

iecset
Mode: consumer
Data: audio
Rate: 44100 Hz
Copyright: permitted
Emphasis: none
Category: general
Original: 1st generation
Clock: 1000 ppm

IEC985 (all three) are unmuted.......

You could try this link:
http://blog.tuxcoder.com/2009/01/solving...ssues.html

I'm stuck!!!!!
XBMC Live 9.11
Intel core duo 2,E7400 2.80GHz
P5N7A-VM
1 GB DDR2 667MHz
pico Wrote:i don't need a full installation, but it shouldn't be normaly a big problem to get something like sound to work...

one more info, if i disable ac3 in xbmc settings, the stereo output works in dvd's but still no dts...

I use Jaunty as well, but 32bit, other then that i have the same setup as you.
Did you remove (or move) any .asoundrc or asound.conf files?
@Musta78

have you updated alsa to recent version? 1.0.20?

@mlmc
after installing alsa 1.0.20 i removed .asoundrc file
what device have you in xbmc settings for passthrough device?
pico Wrote:@Musta78

have you updated alsa to recent version? 1.0.20?

@mlmc
after installing alsa 1.0.20 i removed .asoundrc file
what device have you in xbmc settings for passthrough device?

hdmi, as mentioned in the post before.
HW: Asus P5N7A-VM / E8400 / 2x2GB PC6400 --> Harman Kardon AVR-255 --> Sony 40D3000 (1080p/24-50-60Hz).
SW: Ubuntu Jaunty (32bit). XBMC SVN mainbranch. HDMI for A/V.
and dts is working for you? or something else with 5.1 output via hdmi?
pico Wrote:and dts is working for you? or something else with 5.1 output via hdmi?

Yes, AC3 and DTS media is being passed through to my receiver. The receiver displays Dolby Digital (AC3) or DTS when being fed.

//M
HW: Asus P5N7A-VM / E8400 / 2x2GB PC6400 --> Harman Kardon AVR-255 --> Sony 40D3000 (1080p/24-50-60Hz).
SW: Ubuntu Jaunty (32bit). XBMC SVN mainbranch. HDMI for A/V.
what really confusing is to me, that i have stereo sound if i disable ac3 in settings of xbmc, and i dont have stereo sound with dvd when i enable ac3...

when i am at home later, i will try an external player for this...
Question 
pico Wrote:[...] will try an external player for this...
You might try:
Code:
cd /media/cdrom
mplayer -dvd-device ./VIDEO_TS/ dvd:// -afm hwac3
(mind that Linux is cApItOls sensitive) This plays my DVD w/ DD 5.1, and the audio part is digitally streamed to my Amplifier. Then, if you watch the babble that mplayer spits out on the command line, you might see what the Audio Id (aid) of the DTS stream is. Then you can (this example is for Gladiator):
Code:
mplayer -dvd-device ./VIDEO_TS/ dvd:// -afm hwac3 -aid 137
Which plays the 3/2 DTS stream and streams the DTS audio part of the DVD undecoded (i.e. digitally) to my DTS/DD amplifier. Does this do anything for you?

P.S. I noticed that you suspect alsa of some sort of incompatibility. You might want to try to start your PC w/ a Knoppix CD. Maybe that has a different version of alsa that does work for you... Hope you solve the problem.Oo
pico Wrote:what really confusing is to me, that i have stereo sound if i disable ac3 in settings of xbmc, and i dont have stereo sound with dvd when i enable ac3...
If you soundcard refuses to passthrough digital audio streams (i.e. 44.1 kHz PCM for audio-CD's, DD or DTS for DVD's etc.) then that is not so strange. If you tell XbMc not to stream AC3 to your receiver then Xbmc downmixes DD5.1 or DTS 3/2 to (analogue) stereo. And if you tell Xbmc to not touch the AC3 (DD5.1) stream and send it to your soundcard then you're in trouble I still think your soundcard is not configured to passthrough digital audio. It may be alsa.... Huh

P.S. I had an old Creative labs Soundblaster card which also did not work w/ DTS. That is because Soundblasters upsample digital signals that are 44.1 kHz (i.e. CD's and sometimes DTS) to 48 kHz. But that'sanother story, first try to pass through Dolby Digital. Good luck Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Only Stereo, no DTS or Digital 5.1 output0