[REQUEST] OpenVPN support in XBMC - Maybe port the Boxee VPN script?
I did a script that could be run in linux, so I guess it could be converted to an XBMC script. I can post it here if you like.
If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
Yes please!
Sorry missed your post until now.
Send me a pm with your email and I can send it to you. Can't seem to attach anything other than pictures.
I wrote a complete how to document which takes you step by step through the commands and finishes off with the script, and a few other things to make it run more smoothly.
If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.
did anything come of this?
This script starts openvpn - I am not sure how to pass the username and password to it:

Code:
import os
os.system('sudo /Users/frontrow/Applications/Tunnelblick.app/Contents/Resources/openvpn --config /Users/frontrow/Library/openvpn/Overplay\ -\ US-East-1.conf --auth-user-pass /Users/frontrow/thing')

All I want to do is add it to my favorites and click it to start the vpn and then have another to stop it.

Any help appreciated.
in my post above I should say as I am using tunnelblick binary I am pretty sure the auth-user-pass will not work as it needs to be compiled with --enable-password-save - I guess tunnelblick is not. If someone could provide a complied binary of this for the mac with this that would cool too. I do not have a mac to do this.
I think I know how to do this now using the openvpn telnet interface and a bash script to spawn a telent session and 'expect' to send the username and password I will post it whne I get it workig!
Should be easy to make ....
I created a addon called swiss-army-knife.
Inside this addon the user can integrate up to 9 shell-scripts.
(EDIT : svn-version do support the user-shell functions sine a few hours)

If you have 2 scripts ....
one script do connect the vpn and the other do disconnect .....
you can save this 2 scripts inside this directory
~/swiss.army.knife
and name them user1.sh and user2.sh
You can make 2 description files that will be loaded into the menu ....

[email]user@xbmcdev:~/swiss.army.knife[/email]$ cat user1.desc
vpn connection on
[email]user@xbmcdev:~/swiss.army.knife[/email]$

[email]user@xbmcdev:~/swiss.army.knife[/email]$ cat user2.desc
vpn connection off
[email]user@xbmcdev:~/swiss.army.knife[/email]$
@linuxluemmel - cheers I will look at this. I have managed to get a binary that has the --enable-password-save enabled from the overplay boxee overplay plugin - this includes a linux binary aswell as the mac one - hopefully this will make the script a bit simpler.
The solution than you place any shell-script or binary into a folder and create a description that appear inside the addon-menu is more valuable, than to write addon only for a specific kind of vpn.

For the addon it doesn't make a difference to build a openvpn connection or a pptp connection as long you have shell-scripts that do the job.

My solution has now one downside ....
In the moment I can not pass parameters but this could change soon.

I allready made a few openvpn shell-scripts for customers from spain ( to watch the BBC at UK) and that was easy ....(I was paid for this work and the code to call the shell-scripts from within xbmc was not puplished with a gpl-licence on request of the customer)

I used a few little tricks to make this working correctly ....

- set suid bit Zero for the executable openvpn / route / kill

With this little trick you can add a vpn connection as user / add a default route and
last bot not least kill the openvpn connection on request.
nice so is it possible to use this in conjunction with the iPlayer plugin that usually only works for UK users? (using a UK proxy of course thru open VPN)
Yes ... this was the intention behind all. The customer reside in spain and do connect over
the xbmc interface a openvpn connection and use IPlayer to watch BBC.
There are multiple companys that provide openvpn access to uk and the states.
During the development I used the provided openvpn-setting to test hulu ;-)
and I saw a few videos from youtube I can't watch from switzerland.
Of course you can still use a open proxy inside the uk or the states.
Or a simple redirector like
http://www.hidemyass.com/
frieten Wrote:nice so is it possible to use this in conjunction with the iPlayer plugin that usually only works for UK users? (using a UK proxy of course thru open VPN)

You don't need a UK proxy If you establish a UK openvpn connection.All you have to do is connect to the vpn ....
You default puplic ip change to UK IP.
linuxluemmel Wrote:You don't need a UK proxy If you establish a UK openvpn connection.All you have to do is connect to the vpn ....
You default puplic ip change to UK IP.

yeah cool sweet as thanks man. i've used openVPN before on windows to use iplayer to watch F1 qualifying etc so this will be awesome.
I have actually got the vpn scripts working they are simple python scripts which I have added as favourites so I can run them from within xbmc. The biggest problem is that I am doing this on an appletv. I am sure it is a lot easier todo on a linux box!

I need to test them as I tried it this morning with hulu and it didn't work not sure whether this is the vpn not working or hulu not working. I will need to try it when I am logged in to make sure the vpn is starting up properly.

Once I get them working might try and make them a bit cleverer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] OpenVPN support in XBMC - Maybe port the Boxee VPN script?0