help a Ubuntu newb get this set up....
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu (just basic skills/knowledge at this point) and I'm trying to get XBMC set up on a simple Ubuntu build.

I set up two PPA links in the Software Sources menu. Though I'm not sure what version I should be using (Jaunty? Hardy? Etc...)
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/hardy-ppa/ubuntu hardy main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/hardy-ppa/ubuntu hardy main

I've added the PGP key (that was an initial error I was getting) and that issue seems to have gone away as I don't get that error popping up anymore.

However, XBMC is not dloading and not installing.

Suggestions? help?
Appreciated.
Best bet would be to follow my HOWTO which is a sticky at the top of this page. Even though it's for ION machines, you can use it without the NVIDIA drivers if it suits you.
Start with providing a detailed error message and details about your system (version, etc...). Though it seems you're better of in the ubuntu forums to gain some basic ubuntu/linux knowledge. Up to now there's no xbmc involved in your trouble.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Haggy Wrote:Start with providing a detailed error message and details about your system (version, etc...). Though it seems you're better of in the ubuntu forums to gain some basic ubuntu/linux knowledge. Up to now there's no xbmc involved in your trouble.

Thats the thing... no errors. No msgs. No nothing. Just checks for updates and no updates found. Nothing installed yet either. (hell I got Pidgin working fine)
Well try with the howto Pete mentioned. That should cover basic installation until you get it running.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Haggy Wrote:Well try with the howto Pete mentioned. That should cover basic installation until you get it running.

yeah I got it running now.
Though its pegging 100% of my CPU for some reason.
Maybe this old AMD 1700+ isn't enough? I thought it could at least run XBMC itself though and play some mp3/XVID etc.

I've been using XBC on Xbox1 forever at this point. Just wanted to try something new.
enable sync to vblank in the video settings.
Haggy Wrote:enable sync to vblank in the video settings.

Settings > Appearance > Screen > Vertical Blank Sync > enabled
Still 100% sadly
I tried disable and video driver select too
Hmm. Then as always enable debugging and pastebin a FULL debug logfile (located in ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log).
Add this to the end of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

If I'm not mistaken ubuntu enabled the composite extension by default, which is a bit of a disaster in combination with opengl.
bobo1on1 Wrote:If I'm not mistaken ubuntu enabled the composite extension by default, which is a bit of a disaster in combination with opengl.

Unfortunately that's not only true for Ubuntu. It got enabled upstream for all X releases. That's what you get from transparent and wobbly windows Smile
got the log but too long to paste here...
I dont see an option for posting files either.
as i said: use pastebin.com for logfiles.
Haggy Wrote:as i said: use pastebin.com for logfiles.

the .com was key Smile
http://pastebin.com/m36eca7e0

awesome site/idea
Code:
GL_VENDOR = Mesa Project
GL_RENDERER = Software Rasterizer

There's the problem, you need to install a proper driver for your videocard.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help a Ubuntu newb get this set up....0