x264 support in Linux installation
Yesterday, I did a minimal install of Ubuntu and followed the howto from this post without the NVidia bits. Everything seems to be working fine for the most part except whenever I try to play something that was encoded with x264 using Handbrake, XBMC crashes and it drops down to the terminal. Would XBMC play these files if I install the external codecs for them? Or is there an easier/better way to do this?
See the sticky about posting a problem in a useful manner.
What HandBrake settings are you using? I rip my stuff using the AppleTV setting and it works fine on my system.... and if you've followed my howto, your system will be the same as mine!

Do you have an Acer Revo? If so, you will need the NVIDIA drivers or you will get problems.

Pete
I guess by saying "without the nvidia bits" he's implying that his system is ATI or (even worse) intel-based. but without more information, especially without pastebinning a debug log, we have no chance to help him.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
The Ubuntu Jaunty minimal installation is was fully up to date as of July 4, 2009. The version of XBMC installed is from xbmc-standalone_9.04.2+svn21333-jaunty1_i386.deb in the PPA repository mentioned in the howto thread. The problem happens whenever I try to play x264 encoded files in an MP4 container made with Handbrake 0.9.3. The settings I used in Handbrake are a slightly modified version of the Basic/Normal preset and the only things I've changed are bitrates (video=1000 -- audio=128 down mixed to stereo) and the resolution, which I use loose anamorphic with a width of 512. AVI files made using the same settings, only with XVID video encoding, MP3 audio encoding, and AVI container work just fine. This is what leads me to think it's a codec problem, so I return to my original question... can/will XBMC use external codecs? These MP4 files are the only ones that cause problems.

No, I'm not using an Acer Revo. I am using a Dell Inspiron 1501 with Intel GMA950 video.
You still did not read the sticky on how to post in a useful manner.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
And I still haven't gotten a useful answer. I asked a simple question... can it use external codecs. I have enough evidence to know it's a codec problem and that's what I want to fix. Therefore, I'm not wasting my time and will be downloading Mythbuntu.
Then I won't waste my time answering.

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
At the rate things were going here, that wasn't going to happen anyway. That's why I'm going to be using something where I can ask a question and actually get an answer.
Well, we were going to help you assuming you provided all the necessary details. But you didn't. We could have easily helped you based on the log file. MKV should be playing and does not require external codecs. XBMC uses ffmpeg.

Anyhow, you should learn how to read the rules if you want proper help. People here are more than willing to help if you provide the proper details.

digitalhead Wrote:At the rate things were going here, that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Ah yes the witty retort. A much better choice then the debug log everyone wants you to post so they can help you.
Tslayer is just mad 'cause I took away his magic eightball so he can't read users minds anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
x264 support in Linux installation0