Need some help on installing XBMC for linux (webserver and wifi mainly)
Question 
Hi there,

I'm planning to switch from Windows XP to Linux version of XBMC, but i need a little help and tips to solve some problems that i've found.

1) I have a dedicated machine running XBMC (so i want to boot directly on XBMC with the booting logo in linux, etc). I'm not sure if i must use XBMC Live installed in my hard disk or if i must choose to install a Ubuntu minimal install and then manually add all necessary packages for XBMC.

2) The computer uses a USB WIFI dongle to connect to Internet but i've tested XBMC Live and it's not recognized, so i think that i must install aditional modules but i'm not sure about how can i do that using XBMC Live

3) Currently my computer is also running WAMPP (Apache, MySQL and PHP) on windows, and i need to do something simmilar on Linux. I'm researching about alternatives on Linux to make the same task (for a web server running in background). The problem is, again, how to install that using XBMC Live (how to add the packages and configure all the stuff)

4) There is any kind of autoupdater or something simmilar to keep my XBMC installation up to date and try the new SVN builds on linux easily? If it must be done manually, how can i do it?

Many thanks in advance, and i'm sorry for my noob questions, i've a little experience using Linux (and a lot of experience using Windows) so any help is wellcome...

Kind regards, Smile
Quote:1) I have a dedicated machine running XBMC (so i want to boot directly on XBMC with the booting logo in linux, etc). I'm not sure if i must use XBMC Live installed in my hard disk or if i must choose to install a Ubuntu minimal install and then manually add all necessary packages for XBMC
IMHO i think downloading the xbmc-live distro and install it to HD is the
easiest way - i recomend that to linux noobs like myself Wink

Quote:2) The computer uses a USB WIFI dongle to connect to Internet but i've tested XBMC Live and it's not recognized, so i think that i must install aditional modules but i'm not sure about how can i do that using XBMC Live
You probably need to add drivers - you can install new stuff and expand the xbmc-live install how you want. Your best luck is probably to search some ubuntu forums on the net - or check the HOW TO's on this forum.

Quote:3) Currently my computer is also running WAMPP (Apache, MySQL and PHP) on windows, and i need to do something simmilar on Linux. I'm researching about alternatives on Linux to make the same task (for a web server running in background). The problem is, again, how to install that using XBMC Live (how to add the packages and configure all the stuff)
As said you can install whatever you like to the xbmc-live - no problems there.

Quote:4) There is any kind of autoupdater or something simmilar to keep my XBMC installation up to date and try the new SVN builds on linux easily? If it must be done manually, how can i do it?
If you go with the xbmc-live install you can just do a apt-get update/upgrade. i bellive ther also is scripts for it floating around - search this forums.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
Thumbs Up 
Hello, thanks for the info The-Boxhead Wink. The question now is how can i install the drivers and the other stuff because when XBMC live boots i can't see the console or the graphical interface to access to the system functions. How can i close XBMC and go into the console to execute the apt-egt commands?

regards,
Hi Fidoboy,

To access the terminal you can press ALT+F2. Then you will come to Linux Bash where you can input your codes.

To return to XBMC, simply press ALT+F7.

If you are stuck in the terminal, just do a reboot:

Code:
sudo reboot
ASRock ION 330 | Onkyo TX-SR707 | KEF 2005.5 | Samsung LE-40F86 | Harmony 1000 Remote Control | XBMC Media Center Linux Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04
My XBMC Custom Installation script for Linux
Thanks again!
I'm having problems setting up the sound. I get sound when playing movies (all perfect, even with 5.1 sound) but there is no sound when playing MP3 files :S What i'm doing wrong? (I've selected digital out and AC3, and no DTS)
Have you activated all options in Alsamixer?

What happens if you choose "Downmix Multichannel to Stereo" under Audio Options?
ASRock ION 330 | Onkyo TX-SR707 | KEF 2005.5 | Samsung LE-40F86 | Harmony 1000 Remote Control | XBMC Media Center Linux Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04
My XBMC Custom Installation script for Linux
I'm not sure about how to activate options in alsamixer (where can i find it?) and about the "Downmix Multichannel to Stereo" i've activated it (i've a C-Media CMI9880 chipset if it helps)

regards

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need some help on installing XBMC for linux (webserver and wifi mainly)0