Linux or XBMC Live for me?
Never messed with linux (besides a few rescue discs), but I think I'm going linux as I build some atom htpcs:

The whole point will be to run XBMC, but I also need the following:

*Remote support, looking at one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-RC6-IR-Remote-Con...286.c0.m14

*Emulators - SNES, N64, etc...
*Microsoft Xbox360 wireless controller for said games
*Use Launcher plugin to launch those
*FTP server running in the background
*SMB share running
*linuxlemmul's dvd ripper script

I'd like to get all this set up (never used linux, but do know terminal from MacOS), and then have everything technical hidden from there on!

Can all this be done with XBMC Live, or I am going to need to install Ubuntu and go from there?
Full desktop Ubuntu installation. Anyone who suggests otherwise is an idiot.
Can you please elaborate on that, althekiller?

What are the limitations of a 'Live' install on a USB Flash drive that makes a full installation so much better? I've searched all over and I can't really find any specific downsides to using a Live installation.
Live is fine for a linux novice so long as they plan to use it as is. Modifying it is less than straight forward, though. He'll have a far better experience starting from a full desktop installation and working backwards as knowlege and skills in Linux increase.
Fair enough.

One more question, if you don't mind: Is it feasible or advisable to do a full Ubuntu/XBMC install on a USB Flash drive? I would love to avoid using a hard drive if possible (noise, heat, cost, etc.) and I'd ideally like to use just an 8GB flash drive. Is 8GB enough room for the OS and XBMC? All media is stored on a separate server.

I'm putting together my first XBMC system soon and I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible (must meet all applicable Girlfriend Compatibility Regulations ™). Skin changes and a widget/program or two are all that I really see needing to modify in the near future.
Quote:nelson11@hermes:~$ df -h | grep -E '\/$|home|Mou'
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2 15G 3.1G 11G 23% /
/dev/sda10 22G 1.3G 20G 7% /home

Note "used" column. That's a vanilla desktop jaunty install with xbmc. You're obviously on your own in terms of finding the best FS for flash and optimizing writes for longevity of the usb stick. There are plenty of articles on-line for that, give it a google.
22GB!!!? That's more than Windows Vista uses!

Unless I'm reading it wrong...
clock2113 Wrote:22GB!!!? That's more than Windows Vista uses!

Unless I'm reading it wrong...

Yeah you are Smile its 3.1gb for the desktop and xbmc and 1.3gb for the contents of the home dir, cached thumbs, fanart and your db etc.

cheers

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux or XBMC Live for me?0