Ultimate HD MediaCenter/Server/Router based on Acer Revo 3600
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Acer Aspire Revo 3600 (the Atom one with ION chipset). For (energy) effiency reasons, I would like to convert it to the ultimate media center & server. For this purpose I would like to include the following features:

- Ubuntu based
- XBMC as autostart
- Samba-Server to provide network resources to other computers (especially to upload media content)
- FTP server - to upload/download to internet-users (I have two homes ;-))
- Webserver (LAMP) for HTTP filebrowsing
- Wireless LAN accesspoint, based on hostap
- Router capabilities (any software available?)

This little thing will then be online 24/7, so energy settings optimization is the last step which is necessary.

Anyone has experience in setting up such a box? Especially the last to capabilities provide some headache to me (is the Atheros chipset supported in AP mode and how do I set up router capabilities?).

Thank you very much for your ideas and help!
Alex
Use this is your starting point

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

Then install samba, your choice of ftp server. Don't use the wireless on my revo but shouldn't be an issue to set it up.

What do you mean by router - it only has one ethernet port....
I would like to use the wireless card as a access point (with hostap). And maybe in the future the LAN port with an additional switch.
Nogga Wrote:- Router capabilities (any software available?)

What I know, every major linux distro nowadays already support routing and NAT (Network Address Translator). What you need is just configure it with iptables
You can specify with iptables, where you want to route the packet, what kind of packet that need to be translated, and what it should be translated.

If you want setup transparent proxy, then install squid, and configure iptables to route any outgoing tcp port 80 to the squid proxy.
Thank you peprasetya - this is exactly what I meant with routing capabilities... Let's see if I get this to run ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ultimate HD MediaCenter/Server/Router based on Acer Revo 36000