Option to disable "automatic" mounting of removable USB / FireWire disks?
Lightbulb 
I looked all over advanced settings and tried digging through the source, I can't figure out how to disable automounting of disks. I know XBMC is trying to be helpful but I now have a half-dozen disks showing up that I don't want to.

Everything is connected via Firewire to an external 6 bay case. I have all of my volumes named: /mnt/Movies /mnt/Movies 2 /mnt/Movies 3, /mnt/TV /mnt/TV 2

I also have 2 sources added to my Video files: Movies / TV.

However when XBMC starts up, it insists on adding all the drives because they show up as 'hot swappable'.

So now in my video files I have:
Movies
Movies
Movies 2
Movies 3
TV
TV
TV 2

This machine doesn't even have a DVD drive. I don't carry media on jump drives. Is there anyway to turn off this helpful 'feature'?

PHP Code:
02:29:07 T:3035973520 M:2286448640   DEBUGHALAdded disk UUID 57ff49c2-e2fb-4ba8-892b-7386644c82e6 FileSystem ext3 Mounted on / | HotPlugged NO  Type 1 |Approved NO
:29:07 T:3035973520 M:2286448640   DEBUGHALAdded disk UUID e089a743-f66b-428d-8a65-58e29e367717 FileSystem ext3 HotPlugged YES Type 1 |Approved YES
:29:07 T:3035973520 M:2286448640   DEBUGHALAdded disk UUID fd6cd098-183d-4af1-ac52-7e4da055deb4 FileSystem ext3 Mounted on /mnt/TV/ | HotPlugged YES Type 1 |Approved YES
:29:07 T:3035973520 M:2286448640   DEBUGHALAdded disk UUID c99dcd20-ef3d-45d6-b0df-c2c2b4b3a951 FileSystem ext3 Mounted on /mnt/Movies 2/ | HotPlugged YES Type 1 |Approved YES
:29:07 T:3035973520 M:2286448640   DEBUGHALAdded disk UUID 6442894a-2255-4d0e-9e96-e06264ff1e5e FileSystem ext3 Mounted on /mnt/Movies/ | HotPlugged YES Type 1 |Approved YES 
Unfortuanatly no, but it could be arranged. Ticket #5348.

I'll take a look at it in a few hours, but please make suggestions about were the option should be and proper naming and such. Any discussion is worth a lot, especially since we are in a removal of unnecessary settings period the better suggestion about were and how it should look and ofc. the need. will make it more likely to be included.

Cheers,
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Unfortuanatly no, but it could be arranged. Ticket #5348.

I'll take a look at it in a few hours, but please make suggestions about were the option should be and proper naming and such. Any discussion is worth a lot, especially since we are in a removal of unnecessary settings period the better suggestion about were and how it should look and ofc. the need. will make it more likely to be included.

Cheers,
Tobias.

Advanced settings:
PHP Code:
<automount_blacklist>
<
uuid>aaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd</uuid>
<
uuid>eeee-ffff-1111-2222</uuid>
</
automount_blacklist>

or

<
automount>false</automount
Hi,

For some reason this version auto add's the complete USB external drive in every Menu list with it's capacity.

ex.
Video
1396MB Drive
931 MB Drive
Movies
Documentry
children

I can remove the Movies,Documentry and Children share but not the 1396 and 931 drive

Any thoughts ?
I'm also trying to figure this out and created another thread before I saw yours. As far as I can tell the most I can see is this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60366 which is more than a year old and leads to this ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5348 and the last quote is
jmarshall Wrote:Changed 5 months ago by jmarshall

milestone changed from "Dharma" to Future / Pending
IMO we don't need this for dharma - they show up only in the files views.

so I'm hoping there's an advanced setting or something
I think you can add the USB on UUID in fstab and then you will have better controll, but that may not work if the disk is not connected on boot.
Well that seems to be the problem because it is in fstab on boot:

Code:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    nodev,noexec,nosuid 0       0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=d7dab375-e47f-4ad3-802c-8a25c2d00c6f /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=679298e9-f351-49a8-86e1-2eb70fa5d966 none            swap    sw              0       0
#TwoTerabytes
UUID=b99d980d-4481-4cfd-a0fa-56ee2dde9f01 /home/xbmc/Terabyte ext4 defaults 0 0

The weirdness is I didn't have this problem in Ubuntu 9.04 Dharma RC3 but have it now in 10.04 Dharma
(unless of course this option exists somewhere and I can 't find it)

Devices that are external show up in all file views. It would be nice to disable that view.

As far as I can tell the most I can see is this:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60366 which is more than a year old and leads to this ticket: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/5348 and the last quote is
jmarshall Wrote:Changed 5 months ago by jmarshall

milestone changed from "Dharma" to Future / Pending
IMO we don't need this for dharma - they show up only in the files views.
I have looked up further but found nothing new...

I guess the developers don't like the files view , while others "WAF's" like it.

I like both library and files view but to be honest I still have yet to find additional need for the library view.

The files view is instant if you add a new external usb drive from a friend with 5 complete seasons..You can watch immediately.
Furthermore in files/folder view you can add more categories.
Movies/Series/Children/Documentary etc

If every files is in its proper directory you can upgrade without fear, the metadata stays with the files no need to scrape everything again.

I guess it boils down to adding meta-data separately into a database or group it together with the files.

Both have there merit.
Kind Regards
I agree you're right about the instant access and no fear of upgrading I guess I just don't see the logic of not allowing you to remove it from the files view with at least an advanced setting. I can understand the ease of use of having it there (and I've since learned to ignore it being there). Luckily for me it's only one USB drive. I feel bad for those who have 3-4 USB drives on one machine or like the guy above with 6 drives.

Also, thanks mod for putting this all together as one feature suggestions!
Has this been solved yet? I tried using advancedsettings.xml to blacklist the UUIDs I don't want to show up in the source list, but it doesn't work. I have 6 USB drives and having them show up in the list view is very annoying.
Would be nice to have a black UUIDs list. The problem is quite annoying
Not being able to disable USB drives auto appearing is more than niggle for me.

I've set up multiple profiles, one for our kids who can operate it themselves and one for the grown ups. They both have different sets of sources defined. This works great _except_ when I came to add more storage to my Acer Revo.

The only option for extra HD space was external USB drive. However try as I might I simply can't stop this extra hard disk spamming the full contents of itself into the profile I created for the children.

So ultimately the excellent profile feature is spoilt by this. Please tell me there is a solution to this oversight?
mediainternals.

Did you find a solution to this?

I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts. What is the point of profiles to restrict access when everyone can access the contents of an external HD?

I noticed attached storage doesn't show in the files list on the windows XBMC.

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04, by the way.
Profiles never actually restrict file content, so even if it didn't list it self in the file list, anyone could easily add it as a source using XBMC via "add videos".

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Option to disable "automatic" mounting of removable USB / FireWire disks?0