Adventures with the Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10)
At least there is a great new way of adding repositories to Ubuntu. You don't have to deal with keys and so on:

For example for nvidia repo you just need to add this in Synaptic
ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

Or in command line:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

The rest is done by the script. Including key import.
Now it is easier to make guides at least.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
heh wow much easier
I came across an issue that prevented autologin and starting up xbmc using scripts that are very similar to the way xbmc-live does it. Manually logging in with a static .xsession did work with startx. Curious!!

The scripts wouldnt start up X until I reconfigured the xserver with

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure x11-common

and choose "anybody"

My scripts work fine again. This is using a .xsession and no GDM. Hope this helps the Karmic Adventurers

Zepp
HW : Multiple Asrock 330HT + NAS
SYS: xbmc-live 10.0
Had some problems with mp3's making cracking sounds after a playing a few tracks. This was after installing Karmic on my Asrock ION 330. I'm using the SVN builds of XBMC. The following solved this problem:

sudo apt-get install linux-rt

It seems this rt linux kernel didn't cause any other problems. Hope this might help others with similar issues.
Karmic working fine here. No problems at all, upgraded and XBMC ran fine. Sadly, it did not magically fix WMV playback.
Well, I'm having a hell of a time with lirc.

Works great, until I reboot... then everything stops functioning.

if I reconfigure it with
Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

it will work again. Until I reboot anyway. Driving me batty.

edit: that being said, its more responsive and works better than it ever has before.
Weird. Lirc works fine for me. The only change I made was adding the release flag so hulu desktop works.
Restart lirc in terminal when its not working, to see what the problem is,
#sudo service lirc restart

my problem was that it removed a folder /var/run/lirc that is needed to
store pidfiles while its running, and that folder is removed with each reboot
so had to add making of it to the lirc startup script.

Good luck
I did a clean 9.10 install a couple of days ago. Things i noticed with XBMC are:

- one of my cores used to always be at 100% under Jaunty, now in the GUI they're both around 5% or so
- when I launch XBMC I get a brief flash of whatever was on the screen when I shutdown XBMC the last time, sometimes with a mosaic affect (pretty weird)
- key clicks seem to change their volume at times and sometimes get skipped altogether
- GUI does seem more responsive

No major issues, though.

ST
TSlackM Wrote:Restart lirc in terminal when its not working, to see what the problem is,
#sudo service lirc restart

my problem was that it removed a folder /var/run/lirc that is needed to
store pidfiles while its running, and that folder is removed with each reboot
so had to add making of it to the lirc startup script.

Good luck

Did you do an upgrade or a clean install? I did a clean install, not sure if that makes a difference.

No errors when restarting lirc. Kinda weird actually - what i have to do to get the remote working after a reboot is run:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc

the remote still doesn't work though, I then have to run irw which will immediately give output from the remote, but its only after several button presses/seconds of running irw that the remote controls xbmc.

not sure what to make of all this.

noumenon
Shotgun Ted Wrote:- when I launch XBMC I get a brief flash of whatever was on the screen when I shutdown XBMC the last time, sometimes with a mosaic affect (pretty weird)

I am seeing something vaguely similar on my setup.

I am running a fresh Karmic install, the latest SVN XBMC from the PPA, the latest 190 nvidia drivers from the nvidia-vdpau PPA. My machine is dual-headed and XBMC runs windowed on my LCD TV over HDMI in an independent X server.

I get seemingly random flashes on the screen. Most of the time, the flashes are black, but if I open up a console under XBMC, I have the feeling that the flashes are white (my console background is white). So I am under the impression that the flashes are actually showing whatever is under XBMC.

I am not able to trigger those flashes. Sometimes I do not get any for a couple of minutes, sometimes I get one every 2 seconds, which is extremely annoying. All I know is that running Totem (or leaving the Ubuntu desktop) in the same conditions do not give any flashes, so I am pretty certain this is an XBMC problem, not a system problem.

Does any of you guys have any knowledge of this issue, or, even better, a workaround?

Other than that, my VDPAU performance is not great, but then I have a 8200 IGP, so...
do u have disabled compiz and composite extension?
Yes, I shut down compiz. I saw no difference with composite extension on or off so I let it on to avoid the problem described by Freek (first post).
Loaded a fresh copy of Karmic based Mythbuntu today and installed an svn build of XBMC, build no. 24207. It seems that VDPAU is broken in this one as when it is selected, any video will play for a couple of minutes then exit XBMC completely. It worked fine under Jaunty. I do know it is not a hardware related issue as I have VDPAU running fine under MythTV .22.

For reference I am running a Gigabyte GT220 1GB DDR3 video card with Nvidia 190.42 drivers.

I am hoping a fix or update is available soon as without VDPAU I get audio synch issues with hi def movies like Battlestar Galactica: The Plan.
Anyone know of any other way to get rid of the screen tearing? I added the code below to my xorg.conf file and it fixed it but now I lost transparency on my dock. Using Cairo dock and in its troubleshooting it states it needs it on. I can live without it but if I can get everything working correctly it would be great.

Code:
Section "Extensions"
          Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

If it makes a difference, I'm running it on a Zotac Ion N330 w/ 3gb ram. Karmic flies on that board compared to Windows 7. I've tried all sorts of resolutions and refresh rates and I'm running the latest Nvidia 190 driver and nothing else gets rid of the tearing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adventures with the Karmic Koala (Ubuntu 9.10)0