Performance Potential [1080p?]
Hey guys, I've been searching / playing around for a while now and haven't found anything too conclusive.

Stats:
ASUS P2-M3A3200 Barebones PC
AMD X2 2.3ghz
4GB Ram
On Board - ATI Radeon HD3200

Running:
Karmic Koala
Restricted ATI Drivers
XBMC Alpha 2

I've tried many things to get this system to output 1080p content and haven't had any luck. I always get the CPU maxed out and frames dropping. Is it even possible with this system to get 1080p? 720p plays beautifully too.

I actually broke down and ordered a new Nvidia GT220 card only to realize the PC doesn't have a PCI slot... go figure.

Are there any things to try?
Nope - just not enough ponies as there's no way to hand off processing to the GPU.

With an NVidia card you won't have a problem.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Nope - just not enough ponies as there's no way to hand off processing to the GPU.

With an NVidia card you won't have a problem.
The HD3200 shouldn't have any problems playing 1080P. It may be more of a problem with the OS or the restricted drivers. Mine plays fine with Vista.
HTPC= AMD Athlon X2 BE-2350 l Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G l G Skill 2GB l HVR-1800 l PVR-150 l Ultra MicroFly Case l 180GB SATA l 250GB IDE
Old HTPC Build / Current 780G HTPC Build / My Website
Hmm...

Maybe it's time to try Vista out instead of Linux... uggh.

Since I can't change the video card in my system, if I upgraded the CPU would there be hope for 1080p? I could fit a quad core 2.9 ghz chip on there?
The HD3200 will have no part in playing 1080P in XBMC, not quite sure what you're getting at.

TheUni
Is that true? I thought with XBMC Live I can render with vdapu or how it is called which then uses the graphics card?

Am I wrong?

m0bbed
vdpau is nvidia only, the poster has a ati.
The Uni:

Maybe that was the response I was looking for. I didn't know if there was anything to get out of the ATI HD3200. Or really, what options I had to push 1080p video. More Ram, Better CPU, switch to Windows, or if the only option is just to replace the computer.
Not sure how old this is but I'm getting full 1080p using the HD3300 on my Asus M3A78-T board. I have a X2 Black Edition 7750 (2.7ghz) and works great. Can't say for sure how much CPU% load I may have since I havent tried to alt+tab since the xbmc install.

ELP
Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).
What are you using for your video driver?
X2 Black edition can render full hd.

Your cheapest way of achieving 1080p is actually to buy a nvidia 8xxx or higher.
I'm using the Restricted Driver available for 9.04

BTW, I also tested the X2 4850e and it did 1080p as well, no probs whatsoever, using the nvidia 7150 I think. I remember reading that as long as you had a decent video card you could do full 1080p with any dual core CPU, there are many recommended specs on the AVS forums.
Acer something AMD A8-3800K with Trinity Radeon HD6650 (512MB), 10GB DDR3, Ubuntu 15.04, NO KODI HELP Audio: Working great Analog 5.1 (with Infinity Reference Sub and Center).
Yes, would love to buy a new video card, however it is a barebones PC setup and has no expansion slot.
Personally I would go with a CPU upgrade, if you are sure that yours is not up to the task, and if the motherboard supports it.
well i do not got the computer to verify this but several googlings tells me your asus shoud have pci expansion slots.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/...htpc/5.htm
cpu upgrade will probably work as well, just not as cheap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Performance Potential [1080p?]0