Build a XBMC Live USB without burning a CD on OSX
I just got my Revo in the mail and I set upon it using The Burgemaster Guide and I found no one had given any advice on how to burn a XBMC Live(or Linux) to a USB stick under OSX. Google didn't have the answers and using Disk Utility wasn't panning out either. After being forced to find a solution myself I realized that Parallels was the answer(or any other virtualization software).
  • First download a stable XBMC Live build. If you got the talent or sources go for a bleeding edge build, but I went with what's known. You can always update later.
  • Extract the ISO image and put it in a brightly lit room.
  • Run Parallels and go to File->New Virtual Machine
  • Click the option to use a CD/DVD Image and choose the XBMC iso image. If it asks for an operating system just choose Linux/Ubuntu
  • After starting your new virtual machine build scroll down to "Install XBMCLive to disk (USB or HDD)" before the timer runs out. Before you hit enter remember to check to see if you have your USB stick mounted to your new virtual machine. After that hit enter, press a button, and then choose where you want to install XBMC Live.(Hint: Not your hard drive, be careful) It'll take a couple minutes to install.
  • If you want to create permanent system storage file, well that's up to you. I had no need to do so.

Once it's finished put your new USB stick in the computer of your choice and change the boot up to run off your USB stick. After I used this process I got it to install on my Revo the first try. I know this isn't an option for all OSX users since it requires virtualization software, but if you have it already you can burn a USB installer in minutes. Like I said before, this process can be used for creating Linux USB installers as well.
if your going through the trouble of creating a VM, why not just do a quick linux VM and use http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to install the iso to thumbdrive?

EDIT: they have an OSX build as well so no need at all for a VM.
iOS XBMC users PLEASE use the advanced search function before starting a new thread. Make sure to click on 'XBMC for iOS Specific Support' so your results are narrowed down correctly.

Please make sure to visit the Sticky section for common issues/questions/etc. Also, XBMC for iOS information

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Build a XBMC Live USB without burning a CD on OSX1