Rendering artefacts in 1080p videos and vdpau
Hi xbmc users,

After solving my judder problem recently I am facing severe render artifacts on 1080p videos with latest svn. Artefacts are always at the top of the screen, in the same line (around 1/10th of the screen) and they look similar to tearing problems.

They appear only with 1080p videos not with 720p. I've seen it in h.264 videos in mkv containers and vc1 videos in m2ts containers. I'm using nvidia driver 190.42, asus p5n7a-vm with onboard chipset and ubuntu jaunty.

Anyone also with these problems? Huh
Do you mean artifacts like these? I only have them when navigating through a movie:
Have you seen this:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61463

I think there's a solution for your tearing...
Gerabit Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61463

Thanks for the link, I have already compiz disabled (also composite from xorg.conf). To be honest, I don't think it is a tearing problem. Looks similar to tearing but it is always at the same position in the screen and it only happens in 1080p videos. Looks more like a rendering artifact in vdpau Stare

I went back to svn 24161 (from a couple of months) and I see the same problem but somehow more subtle so I guess I didn't see it back then. With recent svn revisions the problem is very noticeable Confused

Tried to go back to nvidia driver 180.44 (I am using jaunty packages so I can only go between 180.44 and 190.42) and xbmc was sluggish in all my 1080p so couldn't do a proper test.

I am going to try to make a movie of the problem with a camera, it is bad enough I think I will be able to record it. Wonder what's different in my config that nobody notices it Huh
pilluli Wrote:Thanks for the link, I have already compiz disabled (also composite from xorg.conf). To be honest, I don't think it is a tearing problem. Looks similar to tearing but it is always at the same position in the screen and it only happens in 1080p videos. Looks more like a rendering artifact in vdpau Stare

I went back to svn 24161 (from a couple of months) and I see the same problem but somehow more subtle so I guess I didn't see it back then. With recent svn revisions the problem is very noticeable Confused

Tried to go back to nvidia driver 180.44 (I am using jaunty packages so I can only go between 180.44 and 190.42) and xbmc was sluggish in all my 1080p so couldn't do a proper test.

I am going to try to make a movie of the problem with a camera, it is bad enough I think I will be able to record it. Wonder what's different in my config that nobody notices it Huh

Do you have the setting "noflip = true" in your xorg.conf? That one causes the same issues for me. But disabling it gives me some occasional judder - one small hickup once every 1:30-2 minutes.
WWWilco Wrote:Do you mean artifacts like these? I only have them when navigating through a movie:

sorry wwwilco, didn't see your post before but NO, my problems are more like tearing. One line about 1/10th of the screen that does not get updated like the rest of them so it is very noticiable in motion scenes...
tedh Wrote:Do you have the setting "noflip = true" in your xorg.conf? That one causes the same issues for me. But disabling it gives me some occasional judder - one small hickup once every 1:30-2 minutes.

Yes, i have that option in my xorg.conf and I put it to get rid of the judder (exactly the same as you mention, hickup every 1-2 minutes). I will try disabling it to see if the rendering problem goes away.

regards,
tedh Wrote:Do you have the setting "noflip = true" in your xorg.conf? That one causes the same issues for me. But disabling it gives me some occasional judder - one small hickup once every 1:30-2 minutes.

OK, so we have the winner, Option "noflip = true" does come with very ugly artefacts with it No

Many thanks tedh, again, for your help. I guess we have similar hardware and similar level of "annoyance" Laugh Laugh

So, I have to choose between judder or tearing. Oo I am going to get back to software rendering for a while, vdpau has too many issues in my machine. Unfortunately my 3GHz dual core can not cope with 1080p videos...

Last question, Anywhere I can check the difference between "basic shaders", "advance shaders" and "software"?
pilluli Wrote:Unfortunately my 3GHz dual core can not cope with 1080p videos...

Why is that? My C2D @ 3ghz works fine.
I have no issues like that at all with the same mobo(asus p5n7a-vm) and also, my E7300 C2D is clocked at stock speed (2.66GHz)...

So this is for sure not a HW issue.
mbosner Wrote:Why is that? My C2D @ 3ghz works fine.

When the bitrate is high enough (usually in m2ts files directly ripped from my blurays) my dual core does not balance both CPUs correctly (like this post mentions) and I have some frame drops.. Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Rendering artefacts in 1080p videos and vdpau0