optical discs in xbmc
Hi,

I'm a VDR-user and at the moment I'm trying out the pvr-testing-branch. And XBMC is a very nice piece of software I have to say Wink

But I cannot get CDs and DVDs working here. If I connect a USB-Stick, everything is working perfect with it, XBMC is detecting it and adds it to the sources. But it simply ignores inserted optical discs Sad

I'm using openSUSE 11.2 x86_64. Has anybody any hints where I have to look to resolve this problem?

Greets
I'm guessing you're using the default skin (which is PM3 I think for PVR Testing)? In the regular branch when a disc is inserted it will start playing. Have you tried browsing to the actual drive in file mode? Can XBMC see the drive? What hardware do you have?
Thanks for the really quick answer Smile

I'm using PM3.HD-Skin

If I insert the disk, nothing happens in XBMC, but KDE is showing me that I've inserted a disk. VLC for example can play it without problems.

XBMC does not add a mediasource for the drive.

After manual mounting the disc to some place XBMC can access (it seems to ignore the root-partition?), I can see the vob-files but cannot start them here.

I have an DVD-RAM-drive by LG, an AMD Phenom II X4 945 with 4GB RAM and a nvidia geforce 9600GT if this helps you Wink

dvdcss is enabled as seen in the configure-output:

Code:
------------------------
  XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
  Debugging:    Yes
  Profiling:    No
  Optimization: Yes
  OpenGL:       Yes
  VDPAU:        Yes
  Joystick:     Yes
  XRandR:       Yes
  GOOM:         No
  PCRE Support: Yes
  MID Support:  No
  ccache:       Yes
  PulseAudio:   No
  FAAC:         Yes
  DVDCSS:       Yes
  Avahi:        Yes
  Non-free:     Yes
  External Libraries:   Yes
  prefix:       /usr/local
------------------------
Unfortunately I don't have pvr testing on my system so I'm unsure of any idiosyncracies with that branch, however the regular branch has a setting iirc to automatically play DVDs when inserted. It should be there but I can't confirm as to where exactly because I don't have access to my system at the moment. Hopefully somebody with the pvr testing branch can chime in. Sorry I can't be of more help.
balta, I have the same problem on Mandriva 2010.0 with the current default branch svn of XBMC (haven't tried older builds).

When I insert a DVD nothing happens in XBMC, but the KDE desktop sees the DVD fine and I can play the DVD with xine, or any other 'normal' player from KDE.

I wonder if XBMC is using some debian specific method to detect the presence of a DVD that doesn't work in RPM based distros (Mandriva, Suse, Fedora, etc)?
Could this be a problem with DeviceKit? I have removed DeviceKit-discs, and now inserted optical discs were displayed as hard drive in xbmc, with a message on inserting...

The hard drive has a CD-logo in the menu, but if i want to add it as a source, it displays that I should insert a disc...
balta Wrote:Could this be a problem with DeviceKit? I have removed DeviceKit-discs, and now inserted optical discs were displayed as hard drive in xbmc, with a message on inserting...

The hard drive has a CD-logo in the menu, but if i want to add it as a source, it displays that I should insert a disc...

HALManager in XBMC is trying to autosource the disk. The DeviceKit.Disks implementation doesn't do this as you have noticed, since it's not working well in HAL we don't do it in devicekit.disks. I do have a plan on fixing it properly on both subsystems but it requires a huge rewrite on how we handle CDs.

Cheers,
Tobias.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Thanks for your answer Smile

But it seems to work in debian-based distros, are you using something special here? Why it is not working in my suse-system?

Or does anybody have this working in a non-debian-distro?
I don't think Mandriva 2010.0 which I'm using, uses DeviceKit yet, I can't find any trace of it.
It still seems to use HAL as I can find plenty HAL packages:

$ rpm -qa|grep -i DeviceKit
$ rpm -qa|grep -i Device
libkopete_videodevice4-4.3.2-1mdv2010.0
libk3bdevice6-1.68.0-0.alpha3.1mdv2010.0
$ rpm -qa|grep -i hal
libhal-devel-0.5.13-3mdv2010.0
hal-info-0.0-5.20090716.1mdv2010.0
libkephal4-4.3.2-11.6mdv2010.0
hal-0.5.13-3mdv2010.0
perl-Hal-Cdroms-0.03-4mdv2010.0
libhal1-0.5.13-3mdv2010.0

So I'm still thinking there must be some other reason why CD/DVDs are not detected by XBMC on Mandriva and Suse.

Tobias, could you give us some pointers on where to look in order to debug this further?
I'd like to get this working but without some pointers I have no idea where to start (the xbmc code base is way too huge!)
ion_man Wrote:Tobias, could you give us some pointers on where to look in order to debug this further?
I'd like to get this working but without some pointers I have no idea where to start (the xbmc code base is way too huge!)

Well as always, read the stickies how to form a proper bug report. We don't generally support non-debian but if possible we want it to work there Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Ok here is my (suspected) bug report, if you need any further info or if you need me to do any further testing I'm glad to help!

-XBMC svn25333 using default Confluence skin, debug logging enabled in system settings, and built from untouched svn source like this:
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-debug --disable-ccache --enable-goom
make -j2
(if you need it I could rebuild XBMC without --disable-debug)

-PC: Intel E5300 C2D cpu, 3GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel 945GC onboard graphics (yeah I know it sucks but this is a testing/development box not my HTPC!) attached to 17" LCD monitor (1280x1024), Samsung SATA DVD supermulti writer

-OS: Mandriva Linux 2010.0 32bit (i686), updated with all official updates
using default Mandriva 2010.0 kernel: 2.6.31.5-desktop586-1mnb SMP

- xbmc.log: xbmc01.log

This is a log of a brief XBMC session, starting xbmc-standalone as user xbmc straight from the KDM login screen, inserting a commercial DVD-Video disc, which results in a XBMC pop-up saying "Mounted removable Harddrive", then I click on the '>' play button in the lower lleft corner of XBMC and I get a popup message saying:
Quote:No media disc detected
XBMC has not detected a disc.
Please insert a disc into your drive and
try again or cancel
eject - cancel
If I press the eject buttom on the popup the DVD ejects and I get a popup saying: "unsafe device removal"

So XBMC seems unable to detect the DVD correctly as DVD-video and play it, despite mounting it and being able to eject it.

While inserted the DVD is showing as mounted when I type df in a ssh session:
Code:
$ df
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda13             16G  8,2G  6,8G  55% /
none                 1008M  8,0K 1008M   1% /tmp
/dev/sda6              47G   12G   36G  25% /data
/dev/sda5              16G  6,4G  8,9G  42% /mdv2009.1
/dev/sda2              12G  7,6G  3,7G  68% /mdv2008.1
/dev/sr0              3,7G  3,7G     0 100% /media/P9070DVD
I'm using xbmc on kubuntu karmic, and have the same problem.
My dvd won't show in xbmc, even when it does on kde, and i can play it with Dragon Player.

I thought I missed a dependence somewhere but maybe not. What package would xbmc need ?
I have opened a ticket for this now:
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8026
I can confirm that this seems to be a libcdio issue.
I have rebuilt my Mandriva package with the older libcdio included in the svn (xbmc/libs/libcdio) and now CD/DVD playback works fine.
I tryed this with ubutu karmic and jaunty

1: karmic(mini) and Camelot no automount and no eject. I can mount the DVD manual and can play it afterwards with xbmc but I have to unmount manual.

2: jaunty(mini) and Camelot automount works I can watch the DVD but eject is not working. I can eject the DVD after closing down of xbmc.

I tryed to compile the latest trunk but my POV ION 330 died on this. I will try today again. I hope this Problem will be solved soon Blush
How can I aply this "use_cdio_system_headers_on_non_win32.patch" patch to the source, and is eject working with this ??

trac Link http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8026

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
optical discs in xbmc0