VMware supports OpenGL 2.1 with Workstation 7
Hey folks, I gave a run at all the current releases in VMware Workstation 7 as it now supports OpenGL 2.1.

"3D Graphics Improvements for Windows XP guests — OpenGL 2.1 and Shader Model 3.0 support is now available for Windows XP virtual machines."
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws7/doc/re...s_ws7.html

I ran both 9.11-b2 and 9.04.1 in both Live CD and Windows XP Pro SP3 environments to see if I'd be met with success in either attempts.

9.11-b2 Live CD will boot in and you have access to the menus and all functions it's just insanely lagged.. as in almost unusable. I think I read somewhere about 5fps which may be what it was doing. I selected Intel.

9.11-b2 Windows XP installs fine, though when run the screen is black and you when you move your keys up/down you hear the tick noises of it changing menu selections.

9.04.1 Live CD doesn't fare very well, it displays the throbbing xbmc image and then a few seconds later a half screen of lines/red/green. Now when you move your keys up/down you hear the tick noises of it changing menu selections. but screen is black.

9.04.1 Windows XP installs fine but gives the "MS default OpenGL drivers detected. Please get OpenGL drivers from your video card" error. Thus not launching.

I can test easily any suggestions, I have access to ESX vSphere 4, ESX 3.5, Workstation 7, Workstation 6.5. Though given what I've read, the only version of use would be Windows XP running in Workstation 7.

Perhaps only some slight driver mods are required to make function with now that OpenGL 2.1 is supported. Do let me know!
I'm sure you did this, but did you remember to install the vmware tools?
Maybe I'm wrong but the virtual disk should be on version 7 as well.
You should consider convert the vmdk to the newest format.
Interesting. Why would you want it though? Smile
havix Wrote:I'm sure you did this, but did you remember to install the vmware tools?

Yes these were installed for the Windows XP test anyhow.

//Maybe I'm wrong but the virtual disk should be on version 7 as well.
You should consider convert the vmdk to the newest format. //

Yes this was a fresh XP install in the v7 format.

//Interesting. Why would you want it though? //

Well lots of reasons. Think about it you could run XBMC without a dedicated piece of hardware in your living room. If you were so inclined you could have wireless video being transmitted throughout your house to a number of TV's and control XBMC in the VM through a RF remote. (perhaps with an extender) For myself I can run the audio/video cables to my living room next door easily and would just use a RF remote. No need to spend money on hardware or have something unsightly in my AV area.

Another is for developers, this would allow for a very easy testing environment with snapshots and the ability to revert back to previous points in testing etc.

I could go on.. but given VMware Workstation 7 now supports what is required. I'm sure the community and the devs would benefit if we could get it working.

This is why I'm offering to test any suggestions in the environments I have available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VMware supports OpenGL 2.1 with Workstation 70