[LINUX] Need Help: I want to use GDM to choose to load XBMC or Boxee, no DE or WM!
I'm looking for some help from Linux experts...

I'm currently using Springy's guide for minimal install on Karmic [1]. I want to be able to choose between launching XBMC or Boxee at startup, however.

To do this, I want the PC to boot to GDM, at which point I'd select either the XBMC user or the Boxee user, and upon logging in, it would launch either XBMC or Boxee, INSTEAD of Gnome.

Is this possible? FYI: I plan to use passwordless accounts and map "Up", "Down" and "Enter" through my remote via LIRC.

[1]: http://www.springydevelopment.co.uk/2009...mic-koala/
OK, presuming you've got gdm working it should be a case of creating 2 different files in /usr/share/xsessions one called xbmc.desktop which contains:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=xbmc
Comment=Launch xbmc media center
Exec=xbmc
Type=Application

and one called boxee.desktop that has a changed Exec= line that points to the boxee executable (sorry I don't use boxee so can't help with that).

HTH
I don't have GDM installed yet, but I'm curious about your suggestion and have a follow-up question:

what will cause xbmc.desktop to launch upon logging in as user "xbmc" and what will cause boxee.desktop to launch upon logging in as user "boxee"?

maybe i'm not seeing the full picture here?
Well, I was doing this I would use xubuntu and have two different users and on each one on Sessions->Session and Autostart each starts it's own application Wink

How you will choose you login with remote is mystery, but I assume this is not a problem for you..

Other solution will include irexevent and two buttons from remote mapped to launch two applications Wink
openricky Wrote:I don't have GDM installed yet, but I'm curious about your suggestion and have a follow-up question:

what will cause xbmc.desktop to launch upon logging in as user "xbmc" and what will cause boxee.desktop to launch upon logging in as user "boxee"?

maybe i'm not seeing the full picture here?

Once you select a user in gdm (and before you enter the password) at the bottom is a sessions menu which will contain the xbmc and boxee options. The selection you make is remembered for each user so you would set the xbmc user to use the xbmc option and the boxee user the boxee option. I guess then it's a case of figuring out how to config the remote to work with gdm (I don't use a remote so can't help but I guess you'd need it mapped to cursor up and down and the enter key) so you can select the user.

HTH.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Need Help: I want to use GDM to choose to load XBMC or Boxee, no DE or WM!0