Acer Aspire Revo 3610 and AC3 SPDIF
Hello,

I have set up my new Acer Aspire Revo 3610 with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic (via Wubi) and XBMC Kamelot beta2. Everything works well, except that I cannot get AC3 to work over SPDIF (Toslink). Since my receiver cannot handle HDMI, this is my only option for surround sound. Downsampling to stereo works, but as soon as I enable AC3/DTS in the settings I get "Unable to initialize audio device". So I removed Pulse Audio and installed ALSA, as recommended by others. Now I do get a AC3 passthrough, but the sound does stutter a lot, so nothing can be understood.

What I found very interesting is, that the very same problem occures with Windows 7, which is preinstalled on that machine. Also AC3 with many dropouts (no way to understand voices). I also tried the last stable XBMC with no luck.

Any ideas how to get that to work? Maybe there are others with the same problem?
I tested this for some dude who was thinking of buying a 3610 and got the same problem. Through SPDIF, Dolby worked fine, but AC3 didn't work, which was odd.

I guess it is a bug in the decoding somewhere, It would be useful if you turned on debugging (from the settings menu) and then tried to play some AC3 content and then posted your logs....otherwise the devs wont know what is wrong
Hi all

I had this one too
After a couple of hours of head scratching, searching and my better half going to bed before we could watch CSI in HD with 5.1, I eventually found this link

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/xbmc-nvidia-ion/...ijkertijd/

You can run it through google translate or babelfish but basically put this text into ~/.asoundrc (back up the file if one is there already)

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/wp-content/uploa...oundrc.txt

then change the outputs for custom to be plug:both

Works a treat now outputting ac3 and pcm (including mp3 etc) over spdif to my amp. Havent tried DTS yet though
Hey - I'm the "dude" prupert helped out. I did end up buying a 3610 - but I am pretty sure AC3 was working, and that it was AAC (if there is a difference) that wasn't working out. I'll test this tonight and let you know.
Yeah, deepblue is correct, that's what I did. Sorry for calling you dude, hope you weren't offended, it's just I am shiate with names Wink
prupert Wrote:Yeah, deepblue is correct, that's what I did. Sorry for calling you dude, hope you weren't offended, it's just I am shiate with names Wink

Hah - no sweat, I don't mind being referred to as "the dude" Smile
But there is only one "The Dude" Wink
Im embarassed about this, but I have found the source of the problem: a broken Toslink cable. Sorry if I have wasted your time...

Now AC3/PCM also works via the standard IEC958 output. (Pulse Audio removed and manually installed ALSA 1.0.22).

Thanks for your help.
insider - can you try to test this file:
AAC Test File

To see if you can get the audio to work? This is the one that prupert and I had trouble with. If it works, we'd appreciate hearing how your have your audio and ALSA settings configured.

Thanks.
prupert, I know Deepblue and based on that pick I would say "Dude" is accurate.

Rolleyes
...only not as much facial hair Smile
ahh, I love the interwebs, always brings a smile to my face Wink
insider Wrote:Im embarassed about this, but I have found the source of the problem: a broken Toslink cable. Sorry if I have wasted your time...

Now AC3/PCM also works via the standard IEC958 output. (Pulse Audio removed and manually installed ALSA 1.0.22).

Thanks for your help.

Decent of you to admit the problem, so all us 3610'ers dont get scared it could all go tits up Wink

Glad it is fixed.
deepblue: Yes I do get audio with this file. The HiFi-Unit receives PCM and the voice says "Front left, Front right". Is there supposed to be sorround sound in the file? If so, I dont get it.
edz2k9 Wrote:Hi all

I had this one too
After a couple of hours of head scratching, searching and my better half going to bed before we could watch CSI in HD with 5.1, I eventually found this link

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/xbmc-nvidia-ion/...ijkertijd/

You can run it through google translate or babelfish but basically put this text into ~/.asoundrc (back up the file if one is there already)

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/wp-content/uploa...oundrc.txt

then change the outputs for custom to be plug:both

Works a treat now outputting ac3 and pcm (including mp3 etc) over spdif to my amp. Havent tried DTS yet though

i tried using the latter link and pasted into terminal on ubuntu dont think im doing it correct as i have pasted into it and getting command not found on all the lines

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Aspire Revo 3610 and AC3 SPDIF0