unable to start X
Hi

I have been successfully running xbmc on 9.04 and 9.11-b1.

My hardware is an intel dual core with an old geforce 7800gtx. Pretty much everything runs fine.

I have decided to go out and buy a asus geforce GT220 to reap the benefits of VPDAU.

Anyway inserting the new graphics card, X failed to load.
Decided to install on a sep harddrive and have failed to get XBMC working with the following builds above as well as 9.11-rc1

When trying to start X i get the following error
This taken from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

http://pastebin.com/m1794fbab

if i run sudo xbmc, i get the following

(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo xbmc
Error: unable to open display
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server

(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ glxinfo
Error: unable to open display

Any pointers? Anything I can supply further

I have tried updating the nvidia drivers etc.
To get X Server running, type this:
sudo apt-get install xbmc xinit x11-xserver-utils

For the Nvidia drivers run these commands:
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 wget dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
wget http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...2-pkg1.run
sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.42-pkg1.run
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.42-pkg1.run
sudo nvidia-xconfig -s –no-logo –force-generate
Then you need to install X server
sudo apt-get install fluxbox xterm
Hi madcat

Thanks for the response.

I found this procedure on another website. Tried it out. The only thing thats happens with that is x windows does start but there is no xbmc environment. I just get a very basic x-windows screen.
Into your .bashrc (It is in /home/<user> or into /root/ if you logged in as root) for the user logged insert this (at last line):

Quote:/usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/xbmc --standalone

Best regards.
Ok still no joy – but now i have a black screen. I see the xbmc banner flash up, get notified about hardware abstraction etc and then just a black screen.

This is what I have done so far.

Installed RC1

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Followed madcat’s procedure:-

sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 wget dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
wget http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...90.42-pkg1.run
sudo nvidia-xconfig -s –no-logo –force-generate (was unable to complete this command)

And then followed ljpaffs recommendation

Line added >> /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/xbmc –standalone
Reboot
Black screen
bigjoe7 Wrote:Ok still no joy – but now i have a black screen. I see the xbmc banner flash up, get notified about hardware abstraction etc and then just a black screen.

This is what I have done so far.

Installed RC1

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Followed madcat’s procedure:-

wget http://uk.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...90.42-pkg1.run
sudo nvidia-xconfig -s –no-logo –force-generate (was unable to complete this command)

And then followed ljpaffs recommendation

Line added >> /usr/bin/xinit /usr/bin/xbmc –standalone
Reboot
Black screen

Try to login as root instead of another user.

If you are using Karmic /etc/init/tty1.conf like this:

Quote:# tty1 - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on tty1 from the point the system is
# started until it is shut down again.

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]
stop on runlevel [!2345]

respawn
#exec /sbin/getty -8 38400 tty1
exec /sbin/mingetty --autologin root tty1

And add .bashrc to /root dir
Please don't, get a debug log from ~/.xbmc/temp.xbmc.log (see the post on how to report problems in a useful manner for more info) and post that. Running xbmc as root is not a solution and should be avoided.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Clumsy Wrote:Please don't, get a debug log from ~/.xbmc/temp.xbmc.log (see the post on how to report problems in a useful manner for more info) and post that. Running xbmc as root is not a solution and should be avoided.

What is the correct way to have xbmc autostart in Karmic? I've did the following for jaunty:
sudo nano /etc/event.d/tty1
change exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty1 to exec /bin/login -f xbmc </dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1 2>&1
nano ~/.bash_profile added
case "`tty`" in
/dev/tty1) clear && startx &>/dev/null;;
esac
nano ~/.xsession
added exec xbmc --standalone

I tried to upgrade to Karmic but it wouldn't boot into xbmc so I reverted back to jaunty.
Don't have access to my karmic appletv box atm and I can't recall how I did it so you might want to wait or search he forums. There are several ways to do what you want - I personally don't like to mess with the tty stuff, I use a program called nodm/ that acts like a minimal login manager that does not much more than start a X session and restart on crash and let that call a script that starts a) xbmc and b) unclutter. Unclutter isn't really needed for an xbmc only machine though, I use it so nodm doesn't rstart my xbmc session if xbmc is killed when I start my vdr frontend.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Thanks Clumsy. I'll wait. I searched around but didn't have much success.
Hi just recap then since buying a gt220 i cannot make it into XBMC. I have tested this card on multiple PCS with the different underlying hardware. I have now changed the gt220 today from one brand to another and still no joy.
I have successfully got into XBMC using a 7800gtx and a 8500gt.

I have uploaded a xbmc.log file but concerned that output is not upto date as the time stamps do not match. Time is correct on the xbmc.

Here is the output taken from /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log >>> http://pastebin.com/f589d587c
Ritzie Wrote:What is the correct way to have xbmc autostart in Karmic? I've did the following for jaunty:
sudo nano /etc/event.d/tty1
change exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty1 to exec /bin/login -f xbmc </dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1 2>&1
nano ~/.bash_profile added
case "`tty`" in
/dev/tty1) clear && startx &>/dev/null;;
esac
nano ~/.xsession
added exec xbmc --standalone

I tried to upgrade to Karmic but it wouldn't boot into xbmc so I reverted back to jaunty.

Hi,

Code:
sudo apt-get xbmc-live
That did the trick for me. I just installed minimal Karmic server. Installed xbmc, xinit, x11-xserver-utils and xbmc-live, and system boots right to the xbmc interface
bigjoe7 Wrote:Hi just recap then since buying a gt220 i cannot make it into XBMC. I have tested this card on multiple PCS with the different underlying hardware. I have now changed the gt220 today from one brand to another and still no joy.
I have successfully got into XBMC using a 7800gtx and a 8500gt.

I have uploaded a xbmc.log file but concerned that output is not upto date as the time stamps do not match. Time is correct on the xbmc.

Here is the output taken from /home/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log >>> http://pastebin.com/f589d587c

Hi,

What driver are you using? I installed 190.53 (Actually didn't even try any other drivers) and xbmc works fine (well, some xsession-errors, but thats another story, another thread...)
mpukki Wrote:Hi,

Code:
sudo apt-get xbmc-live
That did the trick for me. I just installed minimal Karmic server. Installed xbmc, xinit, x11-xserver-utils and xbmc-live, and system boots right to the xbmc interface

Wow that is? Does it matter what verison I used ie: server or desktop? I used server.
Ritzie Wrote:Wow that is? Does it matter what verison I used ie: server or desktop? I used server.

No it doesn't. Actually I would prefer server version, as it installs less unnecessary packages. If/when you install software with package manager, depedencies will be installed anyway, so it does not matter what version (server/desktop) you are using.

Just remember, that xbmc-live expects that you have user "xbmc". It has to be added to audio, video, etc groups. Easiest way is to add xbmc user to sudoers group and sudp atp-get install xbmc-live adds xbmc -user to needed groups. Or if doing a fresh install, add only user xbmc, so sudo is enabled for that user by default.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unable to start X0