UPnP only works on localhost (doesn't show up on players)
I've been trying for the better part of the last two or three days to get a UPnP server set up. XBMC seems to be what I want, both as a client and as a server.

I got my media library populated with a small number of files to test out and I've enabled the UPnP server. However when I go to look for it on another machine (both from my PS3 and laptop) it doesn't show up. At one point I somehow got my laptop's XBMC to appear on my server (albeit without any files as there are none on the laptop), but I have yet to get it to work in the proper direction.

I installed upnp-inspector on both my laptop and server and was able to see that XBMC's media server is being announced but it's only visible from the server. My laptop can see SSDP requests from my server and the server can see the same from the laptop, but the XBMC announcements aren't making it past the local machine. It's showing up as coming from 127.0.0.1 which is odd since when I run it on my laptop it shows up as coming from the laptop's network IP (not localhost).

So, in short what I've gathered is thus: UPnP announcements are being given on localhost instead of the network interface and this is wrong. They work properly on my laptop with the exact same configuration (I tried copying over the .xbmc directory from my laptop) and the exact same version (installed from the PPA).

What could be blocking it or causing it to be attached to the wrong device? What should I be looking for as a possible cause? What other information can I give you that might help solve this problem?
Oh right, kubuntu karmic is on both. Don't know what else to say, there's probably a good few handfuls of differences in the installed packages, but I couldn't really say what.
Same here, Ubuntu 9.10 AMD64, with XBMC launched in standalone mode. Both UPnP server and renderer can only be found from localhost, not from other devices in the network.
It used to work in previous versions of XBMC. I can paste the debug log, but I can't find any relevant messages in it (except for the "starting upnp server/renderer" message).
Ooh, thank you for mentioning that obvious difference I overlooked. Yes, the server is amd64, my laptop's x86.
Ok, some additional info since I'm a douche and didn't read the "HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner" bit. I'll just include the information as asked even if I've already given it...

1. Package version is: 1:9.11~rc1-karmic2
2. Ubuntu 9.10
3. x86_64
4. PPA
5. Can't find SVN Revision, confluence doesn't have it in the same place.
6. Start UPnP server on x86_64 machine
7. Debug Log though, as polo78 pointed out, nothing useful only "NOTICE: starting upnp server"
i also cannot get my upnp server viewable from my network with the same configuration only 32bit hardware
So, is this a bug which I should file or does anyone have any ideas on what to check or change?
maybe you should upgrade to the full version.
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
What do you mean by "full" version?
Oh, I see, you meant the latest release which came out today. Didn't notice until now, updating...
Ok so I upgraded and the same situation remains: XBMC on the x86_64 machine is only announcing itself on 127.0.0.1 while the x86 laptop is announcing itself properly. Basically the server acts as if it didn't detect a network connection (I know this because that's how it reacted when I launched it on the laptop with the wireless off), however I know the program is still able to connect since the scrapers still work.
So, unless anyone has any further ideas, I'll report this as a bug since I've personally tried it on two different x86_64 machines, one a clean install.
StarkRG Wrote:Ok so I upgraded and the same situation remains: XBMC on the x86_64 machine is only announcing itself on 127.0.0.1 while the x86 laptop is announcing itself properly. Basically the server acts as if it didn't detect a network connection (I know this because that's how it reacted when I launched it on the laptop with the wireless off), however I know the program is still able to connect since the scrapers still work.

same situation here - Debian squeeze x86_64, XBMC compiled from source - XBMC PRE-10.5 r26076
Media Servers - MediaTomb and XBMC.
Client - Nokia E72

With MediaTomb No problem.
With XBMC, Nokia E72 can't find server trough the Wi-Fi. XBMC is announcing itself on 127.0.0.1 as mentioned.
Make sure you have a route for the upnp multicast address.
Yup, multicast addresses are active. Besides which, that wouldn't explain why it works perfectly on the x86 laptop but exhibits this localhost behavior on both x86_64 machines.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UPnP only works on localhost (doesn't show up on players)1