H.264 Movies with Multiple Audio Tracks?
Excuse me if my hours (2) of searching this forum and the net failed to bring up an already talked about thread on this, but here it goes...

While typical well formatted AC3 passthrough AppleTV files have both an 2-chan track as active and the AC3 track as inactive, is there a way for XBMC to be able to play said files in this format.

So far I can only get these files to play the 2-chan track and can't find a way to switch tracks. The only way I can think of is to plug my drive back into my computer and changed the active track with quicktime...or re-encode all 250+ movies with only an AC3 Passthrough track.

Since XBMC is only a week old for me, any help or guidance would be appreciated.
I've seen a few threads about this lately for atv, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=64631

Switching is fairly easy, I'm not sure what the buttons are to bring up the menu with the atv remote--but basicaly, bring up the menu, and you can switch the audio track in the same area where you can switch subtitles.
Keep pressed the play button that will bring the options up where you can select the track
Thanks for the replys...

Using the XBMC Remote app for my iphone, I was able to get to the menu where I could select tracks (before the 2 responses). While I can choose the second track, it sees the AC3 Passthru as AC3 Stereo; and only plays the left and right channels.

Is there something else I need to do as well. I so love this interface (/w Transparency!) I really want this to work.

Thanks Again.
AppleTV OS 3.0.1
XBMC 911

Debug Log:
http://pastebin.com/f1b5b8c7d

MediaInfo:
Code:
*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report
2010-01-11 06:01:20 -0600
Information for File: District 9.mkv

General / Container Stream # 1
    Total Video Streams for this File -> 1
    Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1
    Video Codecs Used -> AVC
    Audio Codecs Used -> AC3
    File Format -> Matroska
    Play Time -> 7mn 1s
    Total File Size -> 119 MiB
    Total Stream BitRate -> 2 359 Kbps
    Encoded with -> HandBrake svn3035
Video Stream # 1
    Codec (Human Name) -> AVC
    Codec (FourCC) -> V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Codec Profile -> [email protected]
    Frame Width -> 720 pixels
    Frame Height -> 464 pixels
    Frame Rate -> 23.976 fps
    Total Frames -> 10114
    Display Aspect Ratio -> 16/9
    Scan Type -> Progressive
    Colorimetry -> 4:2:0
    Codec Settings (Summary) -> CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
    QF (like Gordian Knot) -> 0.233
    Codec Settings (CABAC) -> Yes
    Video Stream Length -> 7mn 1s 416ms
    Video Stream BitRate -> 1 864 Kbps
    Bit Depth -> 24 bits
    Video Stream Size -> 93.6 MiB (79%)
    Video Encoder -> x264 - core 80
    Video Encoder (Settings) -> cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=0 / wpredp=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=19.5 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Audio Stream # 1
    Codec -> AC-3
    Codec (FourCC) -> A_AC3
    Audio Stream Length -> 7mn 1s 846ms
    Audio Stream BitRate -> 448 Kbps
    Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> CBR
    Number of Audio Channels -> 6
    Audio Channel's Positions -> Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
    Sampling Rate -> 48.0 KHz
    Audio Stream Size -> 22.5 MiB (19%)
    Audio Stream Language -> English

Code:
05:38:28 T:248993280 M: 12492800   DEBUG: Error: Requested setting (audiooutput.passthroughdevice) was not found.  It must be case-sensitive

05:38:28 T:248993280 M: 12492800   ERROR: CoreAudioRenderer::InitializeEncoded: Unable to identify suitable output format.

05:38:28 T:248993280 M: 10555392   ERROR: CCoreAudioDevice::SetMixingSupport: Unable to set MixingSupport to 'Off'. Error = 0x65706f6e (nope)

Since <audiooutput.passthroughdevice> wasn't found, is it possible that its mislabeled somewhere? I wonder if those who has AC3 Passthru working upgraded from the previous version of XBMC; where it wasn't mislabled.

EDIT: Just thought of one more thing. I'm using HDMI for Video only and the SP/DIF on Apple TV (optical) for sound. I saw that SP/DIF on Apple TV support was new in 9.11. Wonder if that is where the problem is?
I always used the optical from the appletv with all previous releases no problems at all
The only other thing I can think of doing to test this out is to restore to factory (again), install vanilla Patchstick (ssh only), install nitoTV / run Smart Installer (for USB support) and then install Launch 3.2.1. Then I will download the previous XBMC release only (9.04 I believe) and see what happens from there.

The only other thing I can think of is to stick with ATV OS 2.x. Since I have a 1st gen. my factory restore takes me back to 1.0. I would stay there if it wasn't for lack of 1080p output.
Do I open a Trac Ticket for this? Almost similar to #8226 but I have moved past .mp4/.m4v and now using the mkv container. Since the mkv container allows XBMC to see the track as 5.1 AC3, the only problem now is playing the passthru.

Let me know what you need from me or what other things I should be trying.
What receiver do you have on the optical?
interceptor121 Wrote:What receiver do you have on the optical?

Sony STR-DE845 - works fine with everything else (native ATV, VLC, etc.).

due to the errors in the logs I posted leads me to believe that XBMC isn't sending the proper signal (because it can't, for some reason).
Did it ever work with any version of XBMC?
I will be trying a fresh install with 9.04 today when I get off work and see if that makes a difference. If I can get AC3 passthru working, I may just get me a Mac mini so I can start ripping and encoding Bluray and watch them at full 1080p.
I submitted a ticket yesterday
http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/8465
Can you check if you also have problem playing the sample file please?
That didn't play for me either. I'm in the process of redoing my ATV with different firmware/patching process. I'll see if that makes a difference or not.
It won't clearly there is a problem with the new implementation of AAC that XBMC team has implemented in Babylon
No point wasting your time

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
H.264 Movies with Multiple Audio Tracks?0