[LIVE] No internet connection through Wifi or Ethernet
hello folks, I just got done installing XBMC on a USB stick and got it to run on my Acer Revo 3610.

Now my problem is that I don't get an internet connection through wifi or ethernet.

Something you should know, during the installation process of XBMC on the USB stick I was asked to set up a network connection, but I chose not to since it would do so for my PC and not my Acer Revo. Any idea on how I can get wifi and ethernet working?

Edit: Btw I want to to work while running off of a usb for two reasons, 1. Atm I don't have an external cd drive and the ISO to USB thing isn't working for me, I keep on getting an error saying "Missing bootmgr" 2. I would rather keep my windows 7 installation handy. Also forgot to mention that I am trying to run 9.11.
So nobody here can help me out then?
First off I will say that I cannot help you with a good solution but I am having a similar problem on a Live setup directly to my Revo 3160.

I am able to get an internet connection with my wired connection with ethernet if I boot into XBMC, hit ctrl+alt+f1 to get a command prompt and configure the default gateway with the gateway my router is using
Quote:sudo route add default gw 192.168.1.1

and then I enter

Quote:sudo dhclient eth0

to get my ethernet device to obtain an IP and connect to the internet. If you are using a wireless connection you can use

Quote:sudo dhclient wlan0

to try and obtain an IP.

Have you gone through these steps to get a connection?

My problem is that it looses my internet setting on reboot so I need to enter
Quote:sudo dhclient eth0

everytime I reboot the machine, trying to figure that one out right now.
are both of you speaking of the revo 3610 model? just wondering because ethernet&DHCP work great having done the live install on my 3600 but I'm not aware of a significant difference in hardware else than the CPU itself
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Alright guys, the issue with wireless is still up as I have no way to connect to it, other then through some painful linux commands. I got Ethernet to work though. Aslong as you install XBMC Live using an external cd drive, it will detect the network settings for you, I had the ethernet cable plugged in during the setup if that makes any difference. USB installation doesn't seem to want to play nice.

Basically now I have a connection, just not wireless, and for now I am fine with it.
for wireless, you could follow this guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834 in a SSH terminal
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
thanks, I will definitley look into it later, right now I am trying to figure out how to install a skin on xbmc live lol. It never ends.
please tell me how you figured out the skin installation, that's also on my list

btw revo and wireless: AFAIK the little acer uses some atheros chips, and restricted drivers are already built-in for the live image

"sudo modprobe -l ath*
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath5k/ath5k.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k.ko
kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath.ko"

reading through the ubuntu forums it seems as karmic has some serious problems with the atheros drivers, best solution so far seems to use madwifi instead http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1309072
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
I have a similar problem in that I need to set up XBMC each time i turn it on to connect to my router (using ethernet cable). Is there a way to get it to remember my routers IP address? I am using the Dharma version releases 30/8

Thanks

Update

Unfortunately still not managed to set a static permanent route. Have searched and searched and best guide i have is here. When i follow these instructions i get the following error

netmask doesn't match route address

Now i can get into router settings to see all kinds of numbers! and i can connect my revo by inputting sudo route add default gw 192.168.0.1 so i am sure i am close but just can't get there.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
anyone able to assist with the above post - its driving me mad!!
Fonzie83 Wrote:anyone able to assist with the above post - its driving me mad!!

I used this guide
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=dhcp

my secondary DNS looks like this

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain Belkin
nameserver 205.171.2.25
nameserver 205.171.3.25

Code:
xbmc@XBMCLive:/usr/share/xbmc/system/keymaps$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.5
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1
thanks i'll try it tonight and let you know
If your wireless is Atheros, you can try the guide I wrote for setting up my Foxconn wired and wireless, both static and dhcp.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=69513
scroll to the bottom.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
same problem here, I just noticed this post after repatching, changing ethernet cables, changing cisco ports - you name it.

Looks like Beta 2 doesn't live the Revo 3610 (I think that's the one I have) on ethernet. I don't even get an IP on DHCP during the install (or running in Live mode from the CD).

Has anyone raised a ticket yet?
hey guys still having difficulty with this, when i input this:

Quote:xxxx@XBMCLive:~$ sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces

i get this:

Quote:# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.21
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 192.168.0.2
dns-search dummy.net

Now my poor knowledge indicates to me that the gateway of 192.168.0.21 is incorrect as my router address is 192.168.0.1 and is also the reason why i need to input:

Quote:@XBMCLive:~$ sudo route add default gw 192.168.0.1

everytime i boot. Once i do this it is sorted so if i change the gateway above i assume it will work? Is this correct?

I also wonder whether i should amend the IP address from 192.168.0.2 to something like 192.168.0.100 to avoid conflicts. Would this be sensible?

If this is what needs done - how do i actually amend these? I can't seem to type over them in the text shown above.

Any help much appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] No internet connection through Wifi or Ethernet0