Idea for a makeshift multi-room setup with only one HTPC, feedback?
Now let me start by saying that this obviously wouldn't be a true multi-room setup, but rather a makeshift solution. This design works mainly because it's in a fairly small apartment. XBMC Live will be installed on an Acer Aspire Revo nettop in the living room. All of the media will be stored on a NAS server (which will be a RAID-5 setup with as many large drives as my budget allows, but I digress). Now I want the bedroom TV to be setup as well. Reading these forums has me convinced that an "extender" would not be possible, so I plan to split the HDMI coming out of the nettop to the living room TV and run the other cable all the way to the bedroom. I will also run a USB extension cord all the way to the bedroom so I can use a second remote control in the bedroom. Basically I will be duplicating the screen output from the nettop.

Any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated!
How far do you plan to run the HDMI cable and are you wanting 1080p at the other end?

With R3600s at just under £150 (plus maybe £30 for 1GB of RAM) - it may not work out much more expensive to have a second Revo - far more flexible too! Smile
I'd say about 30 to 50 feet as just a ballpark estimate, and yes, 1080p is a must. I've already considered just getting a second Revo, but I don't want to maintain 2 separate instances of XBMC.
You will need to check the specifications of the splitter carefully before buying. 50ft(15m) is a very long HDMI cable without other repeater/amplification technology. Many splitters can only support a 5m cable at 1080p.

I have five XBMC (Revo) installs on the network. I have no requirement for keeping the "watched" flag in sync between them so I copy movies to the central NAS, scan for new content on "my" Revo and then export my Revo's video library back to the Nas from the System/Video menu.

This creates the fanart jpg, thumbnails and an nfo file "caching" the information from imdb.

The other Revos are all configured to update on start - and pull down the new nfo and associated files as they find the new media file.

It works well. If you delete a movie from the NAS - the other Revos delete it from their library on the update too (if you select cleanonupdate in advancedsettings.xml).

And, depending on the condition of your properties wiring, you may find a couple of "homeplug" networking thingies will work for you - many people have bad experience of them.... it really depends on internal factors of your electrical system. Either way, running 50ft of CAT5 will be a lot easier than 50ft of HDMI. Smile

One other thing - I haven't tried them - but my local Maplins has a MCE remote which uses 2.4Ghz not IR - this would prevent the need for a USB extension.

Or maybe look at a video/IR repeater - over that distance, a 5Ghz one may suffice... but you won't get HD or not 1080p anyway (i don't think).

Best wishes.

J
If all of your media is stored on a NAS anyways, why would you not just use a second XBMC box on that TV?
jpennell Wrote:I have five XBMC (Revo) installs on the network. I have no requirement for keeping the "watched" flag in sync between them so I copy movies to the central NAS, scan for new content on "my" Revo and then export my Revo's video library back to the Nas from the System/Video menu.

This creates the fanart jpg, thumbnails and an nfo file "caching" the information from imdb.

The other Revos are all configured to update on start - and pull down the new nfo and associated files as they find the new media file.

It works well. If you delete a movie from the NAS - the other Revos delete it from their library on the update too (if you select cleanonupdate in advancedsettings.xml).

Very cool, I didn't realize you could do that with the libraries. I'll probably do that then. I'll just run a CAT6 to the bedroom from the switch and get it on the network. Thanks for the help!
if you are interested in syncing the watched flag I have written a script that just runs on 1 box and syncs all of the boxes together. More info at

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65824

I havent spent much time yet on the site or documentation, but the functionality is all there.
Not to mention, you can still utilise some of the HD space from your Revo's too...

The TWO PC's option is far smarter.
@tim- - Thanks for the heads-up there, I didn't realize that existed.

@AnalogKid - Very true, but I feel the space on there is dwarfed by the size of the server. Plus if I store content on one Revo, I won't be able to access it on the other unless the first one is on, so I prefer an always-on NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Idea for a makeshift multi-room setup with only one HTPC, feedback?0