Sound issues, sort of..
Hi everyone.

I've been using/not using xbmc for about a year now. After mistakingly updating my platform (ubuntu) I've had all sorts of problems.

This is where I'm at right now:

Ubuntu Karmic Koala
Alsa 1.0.22.1
NVIDIA driver 195

My problem is that sound works in alsaplayer. Sound works in xbmc navigation. But when I try to play movies there is zero sound. I am not getting sound out of vlc either, so it's obviously an application-driven problem. I'm just not sure what to do about it.

My xbmc sound settings read "hdmi" and "hdmi" (without the quotes).

If anyone could give me pointers, I'd be grateful. I've googled repeatedly over the last three or so weeks and still haven't had success with anything.
Just looking for someone who could give a pointer about what to put in the xbmc sound settings.

It's fairly craptastic to not be able to watch movies Sad
bump
You need to pastebin a log before anyone can help you
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
gnif Wrote:You need to pastebin a log before anyone can help you

http://pastebin.com/m41ef69ba
It seems that you have pulseaudio, try to disable it and see if everything works via ALSA

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop
xbmc
No sound across the board now.
Pulse does not support passthrough, which falls over to ALSA, it seems you have an ALSA issue.

Try playback via aplay, or some other alsa based player to confirm if its ALSA or XBMC
gnif Wrote:Pulse does not support passthrough, which falls over to ALSA, it seems you have an ALSA issue.

Try playback via aplay, or some other alsa based player to confirm if its ALSA or XBMC

Alsaplayer played sound fine (before stopping pulse - not sure why pulse was running in the first place, though). XBMC only played navigation sounds and start up sound, but no sound in movie playback.
does alsaplayer play without pulse?
Stupid as this sounds, it seems like pulseaudio keeps restarting itself. Even if I kill -9 its main process.

Trying to use init.d to shut it down gives "PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions"
hehe Wrote:Stupid as this sounds, it seems like pulseaudio keeps restarting itself. Even if I kill -9 its main process.

Trying to use init.d to shut it down gives "PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions"

pulseaudio -k
davilla Wrote:pulseaudio -k

Says that no such daemon is running.

I tried changing /etc/init.d/pulseaudio to not start it up as a per session thing, but this doesn't work either.

I also tried removing pulseaudio from the list of system startup programs in the startup program gui. Didn't work either.

killall -9 pulseaudio just kills the current process only to have a new pulseaudio process start up. What kind of devil program is this?
I suppose you could just remove pulse
Code:
apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
gnif Wrote:I suppose you could just remove pulse
Code:
apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio

That's probably what I'll end up doing, but I think just purging pulseaudio at this stage will break a lot of things.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sound issues, sort of..0