please help audio issue with Dolby TrueHD
I have confirmed an issue with dolbly TrueHD audio, I have no sound when trying to play a BD rip with this format. I have set XBMC to let my receiver decode DD/DTS but i have no sound, not even the core track. DTS works just fine, I am able to get the core track. Why does Dobly not work? When I play DVDs with dolbly I have sound, but the TrueHD does not come through at all and I have no audio whatsoever!! My receiver is Onkyo 705, does anyone else have this problem? it is an issue with Onkyo? When I de-select the DD/AC3 option, I get audio through 2ch matrixed to PLIIx.

At first I thought it was a problem with resident evil 3, but then I ripped iron man, also in TRUEHD and again, no sound. Then I reconfirmed RE3, deselected DD/AC3 and had audio for both. Why is it doing this? why can it read DTS but not DD?
anyone??
I would post this over in the windows forum since, currently, this is a platform specific question.

I would also read up on how to post questions in a more useful manner (system configuration, software version ,debug log etc). There are relatively few cards that will bitstream True HD / DTS HDMA. To my knowledge, currently only the 5xxx series from ATI and the Intel H55 chipset and there can be HDMI driver / software issues which muck this up a bit.

While it's not something I have personal experience with, the more info you can give, the more people can help on the exact problem.
I'm pretty sure TrueHD/DTS-MA bitstreaming is still in the testing branch of ffdshow (I know it had serious issues in the past), which means it's almost certainly not fully supported by XBMC yet. It'll probably be another year or so before most people even have hardware capable of bitstreaming those codecs, and even then I'm not sure it will ever become a common format online. DD5.1 and DTS provide a known filesize and good-enough quality for most users, but by definition the lossless audio codecs will always cause tracks to vary in size from disc to disc and they can't be compressed.
It is also one of my wishes to have DTS_HD MA and TrueHD bitstreamed to my Denon AVR-4308 (AppleTV) .....

So it is not platform specific I think...
AFAIK, there is no way and AppleTV can do this (hardware limitation).

Under Linux, the functionality doesn't exist yet (though there i a good guide about decoding and sending as LPCM which works very well), though support will probably come later through ffmpeg, as mentioned above.

OSX doesn't support this AFAIK (not a mac guy).

As such, Windows is the only platform with support for this, which is why I suggested checking the Windows forum.

-Chris
See here for my research on the subject: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67500
You are right. Perhaps I should have been more specific. While having DTS-MA and DD TrueHD would be nice, my initial query is why I cannot get any sound from BD rips with TrueHD tracks. For now I am fine with DD and DTS core tracks. As I said in my first post, BDrips with DTS-MA will down play to a core track, but DD TrueHD doesn't give me ANY audio at all. I want to know why DD doesn't work. Why can't it send/find the core track?

My audio options are set to digital with DTS and DD/AC3 selected. speaker config is set to 7.1. With this setting everything plays fine except TrueHD will not come through even as a core track. Also DVDrips in this setting with original DD works just fine. My only issue is no audio with TrueHD. The only way I can get the audio to work is by un-selecting DD/AC3 in which case it sends it via 2ch, thus screwing me from having DD with DVDs.

The core components to my system are Asus M3A78-EM (latest HDMI drivers), AMD Phenom 9950 Quadcore 2.6Ghz, WinXP home 32bit, and XBMC SVN Build 28007.
knight_40k Wrote:You are right. Perhaps I should have been more specific. While having DTS-MA and DD TrueHD would be nice, my initial query is why I cannot get any sound from BD rips with TrueHD tracks. For now I am fine with DD and DTS core tracks. As I said in my first post, BDrips with DTS-MA will down play to a core track, but DD TrueHD doesn't give me ANY audio at all. I want to know why DD doesn't work. Why can't it send/find the core track?

My audio options are set to digital with DTS and DD/AC3 selected. speaker config is set to 7.1. With this setting everything plays fine except TrueHD will not come through even as a core track. Also DVDrips in this setting with original DD works just fine. My only issue is no audio with TrueHD. The only way I can get the audio to work is by un-selecting DD/AC3 in which case it sends it via 2ch, thus screwing me from having DD with DVDs.

The core components to my system are Asus M3A78-EM (latest HDMI drivers), AMD Phenom 9950 Quadcore 2.6Ghz, WinXP home 32bit, and XBMC SVN Build 28007.

I see the exact same results with Nvidia G210, GT220 and GT240 Cards in Mint 8 XFCE, Helena and Mythbuntu 9.10, alsa 1.0.22.1 with the latest SS drivers, I have tried everything but just revert to Svn 27017 and stay there. I get LPCM, TRUHD and DTS-HD-MA Core with that and nvidia 195.any version of the drivers.

rgds,

Dave

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
please help audio issue with Dolby TrueHD0