Is it possible to make XBMC Live work on this machine?
The machine is an old machine that has been sitting around doing nothing for many years:

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1333 MHz CPU
768 MB PC2100 DDR RAM
PNY-manufactured Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP video card

All that would be required of it would be playback of 640 x ___ resolution, ~700 MB Xvid or Divx-encoded (MPEG-4 ASP) .AVI files, and DVDs.

I'd want to install XBMC Live to the hard drive.

I have very little experience with Linux, though I can follow specific instructions (such as entering apt-get commands, etc.).

I tried the current version of XBMC Live (9.11), as a Live CD, and I got the message:

Quote:XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL ...

I then installed it to the hard drive, hoping I could just apt-get the necessary Nvidia drivers, but I didn't get very far. For example, I followed these instructions. On the second to last step, I got the message:

Quote:Package libstdc++5 is not available, but is referred to by another package.

So I followed these instructions, which seemed to do what they were supposed to do, but upon rebooting, I still got the message:

Quote:XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL ...

If it is not possible to get the current version of XBMC Live working with my hardware, then is there an older version that will work? Whichever version I install, I would need specific instructions, or a link to specific instructions (unless of course there is an XBMC Live version that would work as-is).

Edit: I just tried XBMC Live Atlantis 8.10 as a Live CD, and it showed the splash screen, and allowed me to select a boot option (I chose the default Nvidia graphics option), and then it went to a blank black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner, and did nothing else.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to make XBMC Live work on this machine?0