Video playback gives black screen
Hey guys,

Right, I'm having a bit of a problem with playback of video files. I originally had it working on a portable installation but then removed the installation and installed the non-portable version and now can't get any video files to play back (although audio works fine). I checked the wiki first which stated I needed to update my DX, however I have the latest version (whatever that may be) and my hardware uses 3.0 shaders so no issue there either.

PC:
Windows 7x64
Intel i5
4GB RAM
ATi Radeon 5850, 8.712.0.0
Audigy 4, 6.0.1.1371
XBMC 9.11

My debug.log is here -> http://pastebin.com/69WftTVw
Mediainfo output is here -> http://pastebin.com/QciQgeFr
I've now tried both the latest precompiled SVN version (r28256), and the old 9.04.1, both experience video playback issues. The latest 2 have only a black screen + audio, with 9.04 having a flickering screen and audio.
Has no one got any suggestions? I'm liking the interface from XBMC but if it can't do a simple media centre task such as video playback then it's useless to me...
hmm i dont see anything in the log to suggest a problem. does this happen on any video try to play?

It could be a problem with video shaders maybe. People used to get blank screens because they were missing a particular shader file needed by XBMC.

At the very least you should be able to run the Camelot release without issues. Can anyone more experienced in debug log reading pipe in?
Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
Gigabyte MA78GM-U2SH Mainboard
ATI HD3200 Onboard
AMD 7750BE Dual-Core 4.00GB RAM
ATI HD3200 HDMI Sound
HTPC HMDI -> ONKYO TX-SR605 -> Panasonic TH-46PZ85U Plasma
Did you try all display modes? Windowed, true fullscreen, fake fullscreen.
During playback, does something happen if you try to display the OSD, the codec information screen, or the info screen?

Did you try all the upscalers, as joshuass suggested?
set everything to application controlled in ati ccc
I notice you have windows 7 64bit,

I had exactly the same issue and it was because 64bit was detecting my display as a generic plug and play monitor, cant remember the resolution 1600 x something was the max it would go to.

I reinstalled with windows 7 32bit and my 42" Samsung was detected properly and now I can go up to full 1080p.

Hope that helps
Sad 
I just installed XBMC and the audio plays OK, I can see the mouse cursor but no video. I also have Windows 7 64 bit.
Do you have dxva enabled in the settings? of so set it to auto... I get blank screen when its enabled.
How do I disable dxva? It doesn't appear to have this option in the XBMC program.
For whatever its worth. the preview picture of the video file shows up. Also, when I play a video with captions, they show up, but the video is otherwise blank.
Johnhnhn Wrote:How do I disable dxva? It doesn't appear to have this option in the XBMC program.

It is under system settings, appearance and video I think just off the top of my head Smile

One more thought also, is your resolution set to one your actual tv screen can handle? it is pointless having htpc set to 1080 if your screen can't handle it it will not show the video Smile
Wow, I didn't notice this had come back to life on me! I opened another thread as this didn't seem to be purely a Windows specific bug but a hardware conflict...

Anyway, I tried all the different modes available to me but nothing helped, uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times completely removing everything linking to XBMC (appdata, regedit, etc) but still nothing. I did a system restore and videos worked again, I then closed XBMC and reopened it and yet again it refused to play, system restore a second time, plays fine and this time I made no changes to settings to avoid botching anything, close and reopen and no playback.

Changing to the OGL verions allows me to playback using either software or basic shaders (ARB) but using the advanced shaders either crashes, gives me a black screen or gives me flickering colours.

I recently installed a nightly build (1/5/10) to see if there was any change, and everything played fine on DXVA, being really happy I removed the OGL version and went to play a movie, yet again the DX version failed to playback video of any kind.

Now the only useful bit of information I've found while having this problem is that it works fine no matter what changes I make if I play a movie the first time I open XBMC however as soon as I close XBMC everything stops working, when I load it for a second time no videos work anymore. Obviously there is something being changed when XBMC shuts down but what it is I'm unsure of, it's certainly not a setting I've changed as this issue still happens when I do nothing more than add a path to the video section.

The OGL version plays fine as I mentioned, but there is no hardware acceleration and I can't find any OGL visualisations so I'm left with a black screen on music playback.
chunk1982 Wrote:set everything to application controlled in ati ccc

Interestingly, this has fixed the DX versions using standard software rendering; I still can't get an image using DXVA but my CPU is by far beefy enough to handle the rendering so as long as I can play videos, use a remote and have visualisations I'm happy, hardware acceleration for me is only a small bonus :p
Auraomega, it sounds like XBMC is quietly changing your settings, or not restoring them properly. Can you pastebin working settings files, and the same files after you first close XBMC. Hopefully a difference will stand out, and then a debug log might help fix it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video playback gives black screen0