Setting up upnp for a NOOB
I'm sure there are great instructions here somewhere, but I can't seem to find them, so maybe someone can help this total noob? I have an AppleTV with ATV flash and xbmc installed. I have a macbook pro running 10.5.x on it. I have installed xbmc on both my mac and my ATV. I can see all my volumes, both internal and external drives from xbmc on the laptop, but I can't see them on my ATV. I am not sure all the steps to get my ATV to see my computer drives that hooked to my laptop? Is this even possible?

wireless network provided by time capsule
external drive is OWC mercury elite AL-pro hooked to laptop via fw800

Any help in getting my media to be viewed on the ATV is greatly appreciated...
Are you sharing them on the network? I suggest sharing them with NFS, AFP, or Samba, as you can't take advantage of the library if you're sharing with UPNP.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ok, I don't understand anything you said, but I'm open to learning, but i did some research and found out Samba is a unix suite of apps that runs SMB. I don't want you to think I'm not willing to learn. I AM. The issue is I don't know where to start. I have a simple home internet wireless network. The question is this. Is there a way to get my ATV to see an external hard drive that has all my media on it through a wireless network? The time capsule is my wireless network router, and my laptop is hooked to the network and the external hard drive, as well, the ATV is hooked to the wireless network. In itunes, my laptop can see and sync with the ATV, so I know they "see" each other. That is the extent of my knowledge
system preference -> sharing -> file sharing, click

system preference -> sharing -> file sharing -> options (share files and folders using SMB), click.
that worked that worked!!!! Thank you so much, as stupid as that seems, I am really grateful for the help. Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up upnp for a NOOB0