installing ubuntu on atv from windows system
Hi all,

Im also wanna try to install ubuntu on my atv.
I only have windows machines in my house.
So with the atv-bootloader i can only make a patchstick and not a bootloader what the tutorial is saying.
Can i use the patchstick for windows?

And will i be able to run the whole tutorial with my windows machine?

thnx in adavance.

Riderzzz.
Riderzzz Wrote:Hi all,

Im also wanna try to install ubuntu on my atv.
I only have windows machines in my house.
So with the atv-bootloader i can only make a patchstick and not a bootloader what the tutorial is saying.
Can i use the patchstick for windows?

And will i be able to run the whole tutorial with my windows machine?

thnx in adavance.

Riderzzz.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV

make a patchstick and remove the patchstick bits from the partition that mounts in windows. presto, it's now atv-bootloader.
davilla Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV

make a patchstick and remove the patchstick bits from the partition that mounts in windows. presto, it's now atv-bootloader.

Thank you sir Smile didn't know it was that easy. Couldn't find it in the tutorial @ wiki.
davilla Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...he_AppleTV

i'm feeling pretty stupid atm Undecided
But if i make the patchstick (no problem here) how do i remove the contents of the partition patchstick?
And do i do this already in the img, or do i do this after i burn the image to a usb-stick?

Riderzzz.
Riderzzz Wrote:i'm feeling pretty stupid atm Undecided
But if i make the patchstick (no problem here) how do i remove the contents of the partition patchstick?
And do i do this already in the img, or do i do this after i burn the image to a usb-stick?

Riderzzz.

Windows can't mount the img, make a patchstick which means 1) make the img and 2) write the image to a USB stick. Now you have a patchstick Smile
davilla Wrote:Windows can't mount the img, make a patchstick which means 1) make the img and 2) write the image to a USB stick. Now you have a patchstick Smile

I get you till there :-) but you said before "remove the patchstick contents"
I have now the patchsick usb completed. Now i come to the bit, remove contents from patchstick partition, do i have to do this from the atv or from windows?

Its not that i want the patchstick but the bootloader. Maybe there isnt a problem at all. i just dont wanna trash my atv with wrong usb loaders.......

thanks for the help davilla!
Riderzzz Wrote:I get you till there :-) but you said before "remove the patchstick contents"
I have now the patchsick usb completed. Now i come to the bit, remove contents from patchstick partition, do i have to do this from the atv or from windows?

Its not that i want the patchstick but the bootloader. Maybe there isnt a problem at all. i just dont wanna trash my atv with wrong usb loaders.......

thanks for the help davilla!

A patchstick built by the windows version of atv-usbcreator has two partitions. The 1st partition windows can't mount and contains atv-bootloader bits. The 2nd partition is fat32 and windows can mount it. It will contain patchstick bits, that is, the bits that drive what to install into the appletv. remove everything from the 2nd partition.
davilla Wrote:A patchstick built by the windows version of atv-usbcreator has two partitions. The 1st partition windows can't mount and contains atv-bootloader bits. The 2nd partition is fat32 and windows can mount it. It will contain patchstick bits, that is, the bits that drive what to install into the appletv. remove everything from the 2nd partition.

Maybe this is then the weird part for me. Installed the win version of usbcreator. Created img. put it on usb with usbtool. now windows is saying: 25 mb partition / 219 mb partition / and rest unallocated. now the 219 part is HFS+ in the properties and it will not mount it at all in windows. Is there something im doing wrong? It looks like 3 steps whats easy to do, but it just wont do it Undecided
Riderzzz Wrote:Maybe this is then the weird part for me. Installed the win version of usbcreator. Created img. put it on usb with usbtool. now windows is saying: 25 mb partition / 219 mb partition / and rest unallocated. now the 219 part is HFS+ in the properties and it will not mount it at all in windows. Is there something im doing wrong? It looks like 3 steps whats easy to do, but it just wont do it Undecided

Smells like an older version, the last version is atv-win-3.0.zip.

I just walked someone through doing this exact thing not more that two weeks ago.
Hey,

After you image a disk in Windows, you won't be able to see the drives under Windows and access their data because they are using unsupported file systems. The only way you can access on Windows is by deleting the 25MB partition. This will cause Windows to then mount the FAT32 disk (which is not feasible as it is necesary), by using software such as MacDrive, or by using a tool such as FullFat (which is free but will require Visual Studio and a little know how).

FullFAT can mount the fat32 partition and you can mess around with the contents fine. Have a look - it's on Google Code

Alternatively, there are some ways you can make remove the patchstick and make it a generic atv-bootloader:

1. This is more of a "dodgy" method. When Apple TV is booting from the USB, pull out the USB just before it finds patchstick.sh, this will cause it to load telnetd. I like this method lol, because it makes your USB drive a combo Big Grin, it can be either be a plain atv-bootloader or a patchstick
2. Boot into atvOS with USB support, mount the patchstick partition and remove anything you don't want (patchstick.sh)
3. Alternatively, you can wait, I'm preparing a Ubuntu disk image and I'll upload it shortly when I'm done.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Hey,

After you image a disk in Windows, you won't be able to see the drives under Windows and access their data because they are using unsupported file systems. The only way you can access on Windows is by deleting the 25MB partition. This will cause Windows to then mount the FAT32 disk (which is not feasible as it is necesary), by using software such as MacDrive, or by using a tool such as FullFat (which is free but will require Visual Studio and a little know how).

FullFAT can mount the fat32 partition and you can mess around with the contents fine. Have a look - it's on Google Code

Alternatively, there are some ways you can make remove the patchstick and make it a generic atv-bootloader:

1. This is more of a "dodgy" method. When Apple TV is booting from the USB, pull out the USB just before it finds patchstick.sh, this will cause it to load telnetd. I like this method lol, because it makes your USB drive a combo Big Grin, it can be either be a plain atv-bootloader or a patchstick
2. Boot into atvOS with USB support, mount the patchstick partition and remove anything you don't want (patchstick.sh)
3. Alternatively, you can wait, I'm preparing a Ubuntu disk image and I'll upload it shortly when I'm done.

I will give those options a try.
The second option sounds indeed very good, no need to have 2 boot-sticks in my draw.
The tirth option sounds really really good! but waiting without trying first myself isn't my strongest side :-) but great you're working on it!!

Thanks for explaining

davilla Wrote:Smells like an older version, the last version is atv-win-3.0.zip.

I just walked someone through doing this exact thing not more that two weeks ago.

I do use the new version. i guess i'll go for nazarko's comment ;-)

Thanks for all the help!
In the next atv-win version that I'm developing you will be able to upload custom scripts and files into the disk image, and choose exactly what you want on the USB. A feature that has been long awaited for the windows version.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:In the next atv-win version that I'm developing you will be able to upload custom scripts and files into the disk image, and choose exactly what you want on the USB. A feature that has been long awaited for the windows version.

you are definately right in that! and thanks for the tips, i mounted the usb drive and deleted the contents trough the atvos. Finally it works..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
installing ubuntu on atv from windows system0