New ION2's Acer? Shuttle? Lenovo? Zbox? Anything else?
We've already seen/heard about many of the ION2 systems coming out.

Zbox seems to be out as a choice.

Lenovo at least LOOKS neat (especially with that wireless keypad thing).

Shuttle, everyone seems to be looking forward to, especially if it is fanless.

Any news on Acer's refresh with ION2?

As someone who was seconds away from purchasing an ION 1 and decided to wait it out, I'm getting kinda anxious.

Any opinions on what will stand out of these choices or any new news about any of them that might be important?
I know, when is all this ION2 stuff gonna come out?

I mean, I personally don't want an ION2 box because I am scared to trade Divx upscaling (the only XBMC advantage of an ION2) for potentially worse higher-end playback (due to the ION2 being on a 1 or 2x PCI Express slot). I just want the ION2 stuff to come out so ION1 stuff would go on fire sale.

I would love 2 or 3 more ION frontends for my house/rents house!
You really think all the ION2 might have potentially worse higher-end playback because of the PCI?

Or do you think it is a possibility that one of these ION2's might actually end up being a great system?
poofyhairguy Wrote:I just want the ION2 stuff to come out so ION1 stuff would go on fire sale.

well, it seems like poofyhairguy really has a great plan going on there *winkwink* Cool
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
SX0T Wrote:You really think all the ION2 might have potentially worse higher-end playback because of the PCI?

Or do you think it is a possibility that one of these ION2's might actually end up being a great system?

No, I am pretty sure that they won't have worse higher end playback.

Even though ION2 is limited by Intel's strong arming in its Pinetrail CPUs, reports say that the ION2 chips (a Nvidia 218GT) have 32 stream processors which is twice as many as ION1 has.

So even though its bus will be limited, it will be twice as powerful in hardware. Even though worse playback is a remote possibility, the brilliant engineers at Nvidia surely have worked out a good solution that allows for excellent playback. I have a lot of faith in that company's solutions.

That plus the Divx upscaling (and maybe better de-interlacing support) will mean that they will be very capable machines. I am not hating on ION2 or its potential, just pointing out what makes the ION1 such a neat box in its time and how Intel did their best to jeopardize the future of such boxes. Also pointing out that ION1's are pretty much fully capable machines already, and that their prices need to finally drop like its 2010!
my main problem with the atom/Ion platform still is that, even while the GPU stays surprisingly cool when doing serious HD decoding, the stupid Atom CPUs (esp. the dual core ones) spread the heat like it's winter 1941... I don't know why the hell intel is absolutely not able to build CPUs with somewhat acceptable performance that *really* can be passively cooled. I saw that with my 3600 revo and it's even worse now with the foxconn netbox (and its lovely form factor): when I'm in the XBMC menu the fan is blowing like mad, but some minutes into a movie and it quiets down.
needless to say that when in windows, the fan is blowing virtually all the time.

why oh why, nvidia, you should have gone forward some years ago and actually built an x86-compatible CPU.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
UGH, I'm so sick of waiting that I get closer to pulling the trigger every day. Especially when that Lenovo multimedia remote has been on sale numerous times already.

C'mon folks. Get these ION2's out on the market so I can make some decisions!!!!
I read a review of the ZBOX, and they mentioned they did not see much improvement from ION to ION2, especially in Flash HD. At least until NVidia updates it's drivers.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3702/zotac...han-ion1/6

So not sure if you want to wait for ION2.
nvidia drivers have been updated, fullscreen flash HD no more a problem for ION2
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
That is good to know. I still wonder if it is worth it to get a ZBOX vs a ASrock.

I too am hoping that the ION 1s go down in price. Still doesn't look like ION2 do that much more for XBMC then ION2.

Does anyone know if this does TrueHD and so on? That would be the biggest benifit of getting this over an ASRock.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:my main problem with the atom/Ion platform still is that, even while the GPU stays surprisingly cool when doing serious HD decoding, the stupid Atom CPUs (esp. the dual core ones) spread the heat like it's winter 1941... I don't know why the hell intel is absolutely not able to build CPUs with somewhat acceptable performance that *really* can be passively cooled. I saw that with my 3600 revo and it's even worse now with the foxconn netbox (and its lovely form factor): when I'm in the XBMC menu the fan is blowing like mad, but some minutes into a movie and it quiets down.
needless to say that when in windows, the fan is blowing virtually all the time.

why oh why, nvidia, you should have gone forward some years ago and actually built an x86-compatible CPU.

Um, cpu on Zotac IonITX-G-E never gets above 80f. Passively cooled gpu never above 120f. A little fan noise, but that's mostly from the power supply.
Yesterday I got an Zotax HD-ID11 (ION & Atom510). After loading Ubuntu 10.04 (not yet runnung XBMC which already is not yet installed) the fan is blowing like mad! This is happening, when it idles with a new scratch installation and with live-boot from USB-stick. The whole box is getting very hot and the hard drive will get cooked also.
I guess, I will give the box back. It's far too loud - although the rest of the box design is very sexy.
overheating problems have already been mentioned, seems like zotac didn't do such a good job with second generation as they did with first gen atom/ion boxes which is really a shame
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
My first HD-ID11 had overheating problems, but the replacement is doing good so far. You may just need to RMA and cross your fingers the replacement is good. I hope they get these problems ironed out in future batches. Personally I have come to expect problems like these being an early adopter of new tech. Maybe the reason we haven't seen an ION2 Shuttle/Revo is thermal design rework needed over existing ION1 designs?
Those Zotac ZBOXs, they don't have much ventilation on them. There's a few small ventilation holes on the side and that's it by the looks of things. And because they're so thin, there's no room for a proper heatsink inside. So it's no wonder they overheat.

Frankly, if I were to buy one, I would probably take it apart and buy a slightly bigger case for it. It's probably just a Mini-ITX board inside, isn't it?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New ION2's Acer? Shuttle? Lenovo? Zbox? Anything else?0