Exit XBMC to Ubuntu desktop
Hi,

Okay - I am a Ubuntu noob but I have got everything working perfectly on the Ubuntu 10 LTS install. I followed this how to:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

And it autoboots to XBMC, but I need to exit this and get to the Ubuntu desktop for some final tweaks. Can anyone help me out and tell me how to do this? I "Exit XBMC" and all I have is a black screen with a black and white "X" cursor.

Many thanks.

Barney
Hi Barney,
By "desktop", do you mean terminal window? Either you can do ssh remote login for that or press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (F1 to F6, depending of your configuration) to go to terminal mode and Alt+F7 to go back to your XBMC screen. Does it help? cheers!!!
MINIX NEO U22-XJ | Denon AVC-X3800H | KEF Q750 | KEF Q250c | KEF Q150 | KEF Q50a | KEF Kube 10 MIE | LG OLED65G16LA | CoreELEC
I'm using XBMC Live version with comes with a minimal 9.10 Ubtunu.

For this I once exited XBMC and logged in to my command line.
Here I installed a minimal Desktop GUI version (which you may already have if you're using a Ubuntu Desktop version?).

sudo apt-get install gnome-core

After this I just start my GUI with

startx
Quote:sudo apt-get install gnome-core
In 9.11 this will break usb automount. Use the pre-installed fluxbox.
Sorry, I should be more specific. I am using Ubuntu Desktop version, not XBMC Live or XBMCUbuntu.

When I say Desktop I guess I mean Gnome. Problem is, I dont even get a command line when I log out of XBMC now.

I may just do a fresh install, but use XBMC as an autorun, rather than a default session as it seems very hard to back out of this choice.
You need to be even more specific. You are running in the xbmc session?
You cant exit from xbmc-session to desktop since no desktop is running. You need to run it in the gnome session. You can easily get xbmc to autostart in gnome but starting / killing with remote requires more work and is not included in the xbmc package.
from the guide he mentioned above:

" Autostart XBMC (optional)

By following these instructions, your system will boot directly into XBMC rather than your desktop from now on. It is advised that you delay this step until XBMC is setup as you'd like it.

* From the desktop click System -> Administration -> Login Screen
* From the "Security" tab choose "Enable Automatic Login" and select your username.
* Click "OK" to exit.
* Logout of your system.
* From the Login screen choose "Select Session"
* Choose "XBMC" and click "Change Session"

You're finished. Next time you login you should be greeted with XBMC. "

well, should be added how to revert that, i.e. get back into "Gnome Mode" Wink
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks for the advice - I am going to try a couple of things tonight, if they work I will post them here. However, it is a fresh install and I dont mind starting from scratch - I just will not be so rash in autostarting to XBMC. Big Grin
I have exactly the same problem, When I start the htpc it directly start xbmc, when I quit xbmc, I'm back to the login screen.
when I log in xbmc start again and I quit XBMC ... loop

my mistake I have only one account Sad

and I use, in gnome desktop the automatic start application tool.

I already delete .desktop in autostart but it still login on xbmc Sad
for me me it's a dead end, please help me
Quote:for me me it's a dead end, please help me

Have you considered reading this thread where the answer is already posted?
vikjon0 Wrote:Have you considered reading this thread where the answer is already posted?

I've read all the thread, but I can't access the gnome desktop
I'm stupid

/home/xbmc/.xsessionrc

exec xbmc --standalone

just add an #
Quote:I'm stupid

No, but read more carefully

Hannes The Hun Wrote:from the guide he mentioned above:

* Logout of your system.
* From the Login screen choose "Select Session"
* Choose "XBMC" and click "Change Session"

You do this from the login screen (gdm) not the gnome desktop. To reverse the process select "gnome" instead of "xbmc"
vikjon0 Wrote:No, but read more carefully

You do this from the login screen (gdm) not the gnome desktop. To reverse the process select "gnome" instead of "xbmc"

that did not work

but with putty and a ssh connection no problem Wink
vikjon0 Wrote:No, but read more carefully

I also followed the manual mentioned in post #7 on a full Ubuntu Lucid desktop install. With this one boot directly into XBMC. I need to get back into GNOME.

I have carefully read the whole thread 3x (including another one http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53215) but am sorry to not see the answer.

Is there a way to exit the XBMC session (like CTRL ALT F1) and logout/in and then start a GNOME session?

I have access with putty and winscp, but thats not what I want.

It tried commands gdm and xstart but they fail.

If the answer is in this thread I apologise for not seeing it.
KODI: LibreElec on Raspberry Pi
KODI: LibreElec on Asus Chromebox

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Exit XBMC to Ubuntu desktop0