no sound on xbmc live cd v.9.14 with nvidia gt240
Hi, iam using xbox live cd v.9.14, and i have graphic card NVIDIA gt240. All ok, but no sound. I connect The pc to my tv by hdmi cable. I news to update something? If so, how?
you need to update alsa to 10.23

just use the forum search, lots of tutorials and scripts available
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Thanks for your help. For updating The graphic card There are posts also?
granger33 Wrote:Thanks for your help. For updating The graphic card There are posts also?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=546854&postcount=6

That will get you some updated graphic drivers I believe. There are other ways to do it too but that is right from NVIDIA.
Openelec Gotham, MCE remote(s), Intel i3 NUC, DVDs fed from unRAID cataloged by DVD Profiler. HD-DVD encoded with Handbrake to x.264. Yamaha receiver(s)
Hello.

Scuse my chipping in Granger33 but I was about to post the same problem.

I have the same problem but on Ubuntu 10.04 and the standalone version of XBMC and a GT240 card. No sound over HDMI since this morning when Ubuntu Update Manager took my Nvidia driver to version 195.

Questions from a nubie.
Why does Update Manager not offer to update ALSA to the latest version ? Why do we need to use a "script" to do it ?

About updating the GT240 graphics driver, is there something wrong with the latest Nvidia 195 driver ? or is it just that we need to update ALSA ? I read on the forum that 195 "breaks audio over HDMI" so does ALSA work at all with this newest 195 Nvidia driver ?

regards
videodrone.
Videodrone Wrote:Why does Update Manager not offer to update ALSA to the latest version ? Why do we need to use a "script" to do it ?

because there's no precompiled package support for alsa 10.23 in the ubuntu repos yet.

Videodrone Wrote:About updating the GT240 graphics driver, is there something wrong with the latest Nvidia 195 driver ? or is it just that we need to update ALSA ?

that's not the latest driver Wink but yes, *if* your HDMI audio was working before, it could also be related to the 195 driver, AFAIR nvidia issued a patch some weeks ago addressing this problem.

but without more details (output of "aplay -l", XBMC audio settings, etc) we can't do much here for your problems.

regarding the graphics drivers updating stuff: *if* you want to go bleeding edge, just add ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates to your system's Software Sources, but remember: if something goes bonkers, you really should know how to fix it yourself! else stay with official ubuntu nvidia-current package.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
i setup a gt240 on ubuntu 10.04.

i used nvidia 195
the alsa upgrade script to 1.0.23-2
i then unmuted everything in alsamixer (you need to press f6(or one of the f* buttons) to choose your card.

type aplay -l and note the card number of the third nvidia one eg 0,7

in xbmc go to audio hardware and for passthrough and the other one, change them to custom and type in hw:0,7 or whatever you got for the above red bit.

worked for me (navigation sounds was a bit more awkward)
I see the following on a post (update grpphic drivers)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6 dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...4-pkg1.run
sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-195.36.24-pkg1.run

Now there is the version 195.36.31, to update to the last version just need to edit 195.36.24 to 195.36.31?
Hannes The Hun Wrote:you need to update alsa to 10.23

just use the forum search, lots of tutorials and scripts available

i searched a tutorial but no sound, all ok with upgrading alsa version to 10.23 with aplay --version, but continue with no sound, HDA Nvidia HDMI on both but nothing.
also, i try to send the sound.conf file to /etc/modprob and i can´t send it, do not have permission, i have all in attributes 777.

here is my config:

media@Media-PC:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
oh my god, that's a lot of HDMI devices you got there... as neil already wrote, go to your audio settings and make sure you enter custom --> "plughw:0,3" and so on until you find the "right" one

for the graphics driver updating, why don't you just read my posting above with the x-swat ppa....
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
it's 0,7 on both of my gt240 cards.
yeah, just wanted to make sure he tries all of them until he probably finds the one that works Wink
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
hi,

sorry for just posting today. I followed this post http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=540...stcount=32, and it worked ok, but the next day nothing, no sound, changed the option for hdm, nvidia hdmi default and nothing. Strange because worked at 100% during one day, and the next day nothing. What can be the problem?
on system -> audio output where i can see "plughw:0,3"?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no sound on xbmc live cd v.9.14 with nvidia gt2400