Random audio synch issues
Hi there

I'm having some issues with audio playback through xbmc, and they're pretty random.

Every now and then a file will just start having audio synch issues, usually the sound is about 0.5 sec behind the video. There is nothing common on the files, they can be either short or long, AVI/MPEG/MKV etc.

To make matters even more confusing, I have a back up of my media folder, and when I add this as a source, some of the files which have issues on source #1 work fine from source #2 (and when I copy from the working source to overwrite the files which have issues the problem persists)?

It's driving me crazy,

I'm running XBMC on an AS-ROCK ION330, and have tried moving media source from the 1TB ext drive onto the internal HD but this seems to have no effect.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. (I'd rather not move to a linux build, as the wife uses the pc to browse the net and connect to her work webmail etc and linux would confuse the hell out of her)
Don't know what build you are using, or your set up.....but, here's what I found today on my setup.

Latest nightly build running on win7, connected to plasma via hdmi - optical from to tv to av amp.

Now, before I go too far, one VERY important point (dev's)...my TV, like most TV's will NOT pass-through DTS, and will only pass-through AC3 (some two channel only).

Right, so, If I set the audio config (in xbmc) to hdmi, 5.1/2, AC3 capable receiver - next, enable auto refresh & sync to display, select any file with any MKV/TS movie with an AC3 track, hit play, there is a blank screen as xbmc checks fps and refresh rates etc, movie plays and it's in perfect sync.

HOWEVER, if I now go to play an MKV/TS movie that contains a DTS track, the movie starts straight away, then blanks after a second or two, whilst the AC3 encoding kicks in, then the auto refresh etc, movie comes back on-screen, but now it's out of sync. Tested this today on about 30 files.

So, to recap, if using HDMI to TV, TV to receiver via optical, then most TV's will not pass-through DTS, so you have to use the XBMC AC3 encoding, but (when using auto-refresh etc), there seems to be a mis-configuration between the audio encoding and auto refresh that causes sync issues.

K
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
UPDATE - For anyone else with a/v sync issues using auto refresh etc...I found this morning that if I leave ac3 & dts capable reciever not selected, although it's only outputting 2 channel, at least everything I play is in perfect sync...might be help to someone.

K
LG OLED55BX6LB, Zidoo Z1000 Pro (ZDMC 20.2 Arctic Zephyr 2 Resurrection), Yamaha RX-A3060, Polk Signature Fronts & Centre, Wharfedale D300 Atmos surrounds, Heco Victa Prime Sub 252A, DSPeaker Antimode 8033 Cinema
You have optical into your receiver and should use the spdif option, not hdmi.
The transcoding DTS -> AC3 might be the issue here, though.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random audio synch issues0