Using itunes to manage music library
itunes can export it's library in .xml format, is it possible to ftp this xml file to the xbox and have xbmc read/use this file so that i don't have to have my laptop running itunes? (i don't really care if it's constantly sync'd, i could update this file monthly and re-ftp it) where would i put this and is there something in the xboxmediacenter.xml file that i would need to edit?

thanks,
dij
not possible atm. moving to the "feature suggestions".
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
lovely, thanks! i'd like to minimize the the network usage to just playing and streaming. i.e. not using it for browsing - which seems to make things a bit sluggish.

btw, i just got everything set up and have been absolutely amazed at the quality of this product!!!!

dij
change your 'view' to anything other than files and it won't use the network for browsing.
--jaga
i think i noticed this, although it doesn't seem to contain my entire itunes library. is there some limitation here either on apples' side or xbmc's side?

my artist list contains only 280 objects but in my itunes library i have 535 artists (1035 albums)

sorry if i'm taking this feature request off-track...

dij
i'm not sure how itunes sharing/scanning works. maybe you have bad tags? maybe it doesn't work properly with itunes. i'm sure someone else can chime in who knows more.
--jaga
well it's definitely not the tags Smile i'm pretty meticulous about that! i've been running slimserver with 2 squeezeboxes (sorry guys!Wink before i got xbmc up and running. (i had one more room in the house to musicify and i figured turning my dust-gathering xbox into something useful would be just the trick!
have you shared your entire library? each song must appear on at least one shared playlist.

regarding browsing - this is a one hit penalty. when you connect to the itunes 'server' the entire music library is downloaded and cached in memory - browsing within artists and albums using xbmc's itunes is faster than most other methods (imho).
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

just wondering, but when using itunes and scanning, does xbmc put itunes information in its db?
--jaga
there's no need to use scanning on itunes shares - all the information is read from the itunes d/b on the fly. storing this information in xbmc serves no purpose - tbh i'm not sure it even works!
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

but wouldn't it be nice to merge all of the itunes information with the media that lives on other shares --- wouldn't that be necessary to see all artists in artst view, etc?
--jaga
(forza @ nov. 28 2004,21:32 Wrote:there's no need to use scanning on itunes shares - all the information is read from the itunes d/b on the fly. storing this information in xbmc serves no purpose - tbh i'm not sure it even works!
this is strange to me...i have an itunes share which i can view in 'file' view, but i cannot view in 'artist' because it says that "no information has been scanned, please select file view". could this be because of what you said about "each song must appear on at least one shared playlist"?

so should i jmake a playlist, called "all songs" to which i add all the songs in my itunes library? ( i already had my whole library shared)

dij
ok i just tried it. i made a playlist in itunes and added all my songs (took awhile). i made sure i was sharing my whole library and then went to xbmc. my main itunes share popped up as did my new playlist, cleverly titled "all songs". i clicked on the playlist in file view and it took about 6 minutes of hard disk whirring and net activity to come up. i then switched view to 'artists' and it said that i did not have any scan information on this file and to switch back to file view. i tried it again with my main itunes share and got the same results. when i try scanning, it hangs after 30 sec and i have to reboot.

now becasuse i had tried a scan earlier which i aborted because it hangs after 30 seconds could it be possible that if there's any scan info at all it just assumes that itunes needs it to? so scan infomation and itunes are incompatible? i don't know, i'm just sharing my findings. anyone using this successfully or in a way i'm not thinking of?
i have this problem too (i.e. "no information has been scanned, please select file view" when trying to search in itunes playlists).  is it something i am doing wrong?
same problem here, it freezes after scanning for 30 sec : )

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using itunes to manage music library0