[LINUX] [LIVE] WICD Request: WICD intergration, €20.-
Exclamation 
Dear all,

as i finaly got the right hardware (or at least i thought so)
to run xbmc on my 'shulte xpc' there is one thing that hugely dissapointed me.

its the network part of the linux port (thus also (esspecially for the live iso) - its just outdated and really un-helpfull

since the live-cd is is not running a desktop, the user, is bound by either the features xbmc's gui or teh commandline-interface.

my idea is that you create a plugin (default installed in the live edition) that give the user a gui to wicd (wired & wireless internet connection deamon)

because i can understand that this may be a bit of work, i want do a commitment to this feature.

especially to those wanting to use xbmc-live it is important that they can get a gui to set up thair networks (wired or wireless) so that xbmc will be more friendly to setup for all its users.

I hereby PROMISE a donation of € 20.- Euro or its equiv in US-dollars for the programmer(s) who will have this feature done and usable for the next (stable) release of xbmc-(live).

[diclaimer and rules]
  • I will give you 20 euro's or dollars, if you build this feature, that works out of the box, it should be able to configure manual and dhcp based networks, wireless and WPA2 (all features that wicd allready supports)...
  • The plugin should be nicely intergrated in xbmc's gui as a frontend to wicd (its more sleek than network manager)
  • You are commited to update the plugin for a reasonable time, as needed with newer versions of xbmc.
  • Even though i pay for it, the sourcecode will belong to the xbmc-comunity, under a 'free (as in speech) licence, either GPL2, GPL3, LGPL, BSSD, or the beer-license if you prefere.
    IT will NOT be sold, made pay-ware or closed-source.
  • If more than 1 plugins are made availible only the best one, selected by me or by a poll (to be desided later) will be funded by me. though others may be free to join this 'sponsoring' to speed up this request. they can contact my by this board or prefeably by irc: you can find me in chan #ubuntu on freenode. or email itech(dot)services (on) gmail.com

if you are a programmer and want to aply please also contact me for details. (english or Dutch)

if for some reason i see it fit i may consider donating an aditional €10 euro (or dollar) to the XBMC project itself for its support in getting this feature well intergrated.

[note]: to moderators: if this is the wrong forum please redirect it to the right one, also any links referalls mailinglists-posts about this offer are verry apreciated.

this offer is genuine, please contact me if you dont trust that it is [/note]
Information 
[aditional info on wicd] -
*any aditional info on wicd can be added to this post if asked for i will gladly sumorize any relevant info here. *

Wicd is a 'conection deamon that looks for availible networks, and helps you configure you machine to connect to the network,

in way its mutch like gnome-network manager, but it has no bindigns (dependancies) for gnome. and is modular in setup - so any language could be used for its front-end, - i see no reason why it could not be python to bind to its deamon.

find more info about wicd on: wicd.sf.net

i found a possible solution, witch could be considered a vallid option,
requiring less development time,

- it will require creating a stand-alone install of the wicd gui, that runs under the same minimal instance of the x-session as the xbmc gui, - if that works you can run the deamon at startup and call the wicd-gui from this plugin it should be less work for intergration (just add the right packages to the installer), but it may stil be hard to make a minimal UI that doesn't depend on tons of DEPS like GTK QT or others.
---
but an all intergrated plugin would still be my prefered option...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] [LIVE] WICD Request: WICD intergration, €20.-0