When watching XBMC, my PC is switching back to the desktop by itself
As my title says, lately when I'm watching XBMC, my computer will suddenly switch back to the desktop by itself as if XBMC is minimizing itself. Then, when I get up and switch it back to XBMC, the audio of the video that was playing seems to be out of sync by a few seconds (i.e. the amount of time it took me to switch it back). This then typically sorts itself out after a second or two of playing.

It's happening on a number of different videos (both movies and TV shows) and I cannot find any pattern other than the fact that this seems to happen once a day. I'm running Windows 7 and latest stable build of XBMC (9.11).

Any ideas what could be causing this? Is this more likely a Windows problem or an XBMC problem?
Try enabling full screen window instead of true fullscreen. The setting is in the system video output section.
Something is grabbing the focus. This is probably something in the tray displaying a notification.

By default XBMC uses DirectX fullscreen mode and this can't share the display with any other app. When something else grabs the focus XBMC is forced to minimise. The best solution is to find out what is grabbing the focus and stop it. A work around is thereddog's suggestion. Go to settings, System and enable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen". Note however that will reduce video speed and may give you problems on high res videos.

JR
Thanks. Will try the workaround but would rather try to find whatever it is that is pulling focus away from XBMC. There are no messages popping up in the system tray when this happens and I typically don't have any other programs running at the same time. Maybe something in the background is trying to update itself.

Will do some searching. Thanks.
I know it's not XBMC that's doing this, but it's been driving me slowly mental. I have no idea what's doing it. I've killed pretty much every process I can, when I run XBMC I kill explorer.exe...and it still minimizes every once in a while... I even created a little script that writes to a logfile every .5 seconds to tell me what screen has focus...and that doesn't tell me anything.

The DSPlayer builds don't exhibit this behavior, neither does MPC-HC when set to D3D fullscreen...

So for now, I run with a fake-fullscreen window...and that seems to work OK for me. Very strange. If anyone has any ideas of where else I could look, I'd love to hear them. Smile
nathanjones Wrote:I know it's not XBMC that's doing this, but it's been driving me slowly mental. I have no idea what's doing it. I've killed pretty much every process I can, when I run XBMC I kill explorer.exe...and it still minimizes every once in a while... I even created a little script that writes to a logfile every .5 seconds to tell me what screen has focus...and that doesn't tell me anything.

The DSPlayer builds don't exhibit this behavior, neither does MPC-HC when set to D3D fullscreen...

So for now, I run with a fake-fullscreen window...and that seems to work OK for me. Very strange. If anyone has any ideas of where else I could look, I'd love to hear them. Smile

So I guess I'm not the only one with the problem. It actually seems be happening more now. Just watched a half hour program and it switched back to the desktop three times on its own during those thirty minute. It's driving me crazy.

Anyone else having this problem as maybe it is XMBC that's doing it?
Naw, it's not XBMC, the exact same thing happens in MPC-HC if I _DONT_ use D3D Fullscreen. The only difference is that when XBMC loses focus, it appears to minimize, where as MPC-HC just drops to a window.

I just haven't been able to narrow down what's causing it. :-\
This has been happening to me as well. Really annoying. I don't have anything elso running (except antivirus and eventghost). Anybody have any solutions yet?
I had traced it to java constantly checking for updates. I turned that off and problem disappeared but recently notice it happening again so will have to begin the search again. But check your java settings.
Interesting, I never thought of Java.

Actually, I did notice the frequency went down after I re-installed Win 7 and did not install the multiple-RDP-sessions hack. But it does still happen.

So what I have is a nice little autohotkey script that just checks every second or so to see if XBMC (or TMT, or MPC-HC) is running, and if it is, make sure it's active/and/or maximized. So at least when it does minimize, I don't have to up and remote control or (god forbid) get off my butt and find the keyboard. Smile

I'll try disabling Java updates and see if that stops the few I'm having now.

Heh...apparently I haven't installed Java yet...so there goes that idea.
I'm having this issue too. Any other hints?
I have it too, and for me it is Yahoo that momentarily loses connection...
pretty sure its therenamer part of couchpotato doing it for me. PITA it is too!
Newbie to XBMC.

This is happening to me too, but only once after powering up then about 2 minutes into a movie. After restoring the screen it's fine from then on.

I can't trace it either. I'll write a windows event hook (using vb.net haha) and try and figure out whats going on. I'll report back if I figure it out.
dotnetnerd Wrote:Newbie to XBMC.

This is happening to me too, but only once after powering up then about 2 minutes into a movie. After restoring the screen it's fine from then on.

I can't trace it either. I'll write a windows event hook (using vb.net haha) and try and figure out whats going on. I'll report back if I figure it out.

+1, happens to me too

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
When watching XBMC, my PC is switching back to the desktop by itself0