CrystalHD no video on Ubuntu
Guys I know I know I should search... I have... but I'm positive I've read something on this somewhere here but I can't for the life of me find it...

I'm now running pin's Ubuntu image of a flash, it was ok out of the box so I upgraded to the latest svn & also built and installed what is now r153 of the CrystalHD libraries. Now, whenever I try to play HD content, XBMC does the "Working..." spiny thing then starts to play sound with no video Sad

I have one of the original CrystalHD cards and remember reading something somewhere on compatability of different revisions of the CrystalHD drivers? I am thinking what's probably wrong is I've updated to an incompatible driver revision and need to go back but don't know what revision to fall back to, could someone please advise?:confused2:

Unfortunately searching for "crystalhd no video" returns far too much and I fear the answer is somewhere in the 91 page ubuntu thread but can't locate it Sad
Ok, so I backed off to r26 and everything works. Bit stuttery though (playing from SMB share that was perfectly ok under ATV OS).

Is there a better version of crystalhd for the old-style cards that I should be using (or any other way of sorting the stutter?)
i'm using an old style card with the 2.0.1 drivers/lib/firmware with the most current svn 33004 and it plays fine except a quick stutter every 20 minutes or so under ATV-OS

2.0.1 files: http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-o...loads/list
Jemster Wrote:Ok, so I backed off to r26 and everything works. Bit stuttery though (playing from SMB share that was perfectly ok under ATV OS).

Is there a better version of crystalhd for the old-style cards that I should be using (or any other way of sorting the stutter?)

I don't see any post of dmesg or xbmc.log, that's the only way you will get support here.

XBMC supports both old and new driver/lib APIs for new/old layout bcm70012 and the new bcm70015 cards. The crystalhd-for-osx-2.0.1 supports new/old layout bcm70012 and the new bcm70015 cards.
Sorry Scott, I thought that I could ask what specific version of the driver I should go for without having to paste log files... Smile

Seems strange though that I get no video with r153 but everything works as normal with r26. Looking at another thread r145 was stated as working with both old and new layout by yourself so I guess what I'll do is re-upgrade to todays latest and try again. If it's still giving me no picture I'll post some logs.

(hmm, also thought the forums here used to post a message on watched threads to my email but apparently not, apologies for resurrecting a thread Big Grin)
Raider Wrote:i'm using an old style card with the 2.0.1 drivers/lib/firmware with the most current svn 33004 and it plays fine except a quick stutter every 20 minutes or so under ATV-OS

2.0.1 files: http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-o...loads/list

Thanks Raider, up until going down the ubuntu route I'd been running the old r26 drivers on ATV OS and svn 32xxx+ or so without any issues - startup stutter, yes, but haven't noticed a quick stutter every 20 mins.

I'd only gone for the Ubuntu solution for the faster UI - and yes, it is noticeably quicker, if I could just get the playback as good as ATV OS I'd be plenty happy Smile
CPU usage is about 1/2 on atv(linux) vs atv(osx). GUI, playback, etc.
Hmmmmm....

Ok this is interesting - I just grabbed the latest SVN (r157) of the crystalhd and built, installed and rebooted it ... and instantly the HD file which had been playing perfectly well under r26 went back to not playing - XBMC does it's "working" thing, then nothing happens, screen freezes.

So far I've had:
r153 - screen freeze as above on all HD content
r26 - plays perfectly happily
r157 - same as r153

I've not changed XBMC versions inbetween times so the only change is to the CrystalHD driver / lib

Here's an xbmc.log file: xbmc.log

Mine's definitely one of the first of the old-style 70012 cards. Any pointers / further information you'd like to see Scott?
Jemster Wrote:Hmmmmm....

Ok this is interesting - I just grabbed the latest SVN (r157) of the crystalhd and built, installed and rebooted it ... and instantly the HD file which had been playing perfectly well under r26 went back to not playing - XBMC does it's "working" thing, then nothing happens, screen freezes.

So far I've had:
r153 - screen freeze as above on all HD content
r26 - plays perfectly happily
r157 - same as r153

I've not changed XBMC versions inbetween times so the only change is to the CrystalHD driver / lib

Here's an xbmc.log file: xbmc.log

Mine's definitely one of the first of the old-style 70012 cards. Any pointers / further information you'd like to see Scott?

Built on Aug 17 2010 (SVN:32869)
DEBUG: SECTION:LoadDLL(libcrystalhd.so.1)
DEBUG: Loading: libcrystalhd.so.1
INFO: CrystalHD: device opened
DEBUG: CrystalHD: DtsProcOutput returned BC_STS_BUSY.

32869 is hardcoded to use the old lib (libcrystalhd.so.1) so it does not know new lib API. You cannot mix and match new and old driver/lib. So if you are running new driver with this XBMC, it opens old lib and welcome to wonky land.
Ahhhh ok great, thanks Smile Smile.

I had great difficulty finding the right posts explaining how to upgrade but after stuffing a few flash images I eventually found this one: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=571...tcount=668

So that was what I used and all appeared good after I'd executed the apt-get install commands for XBMC. A day or 2 later I had a moment of madness and continued on to install the latest CrystalHD drivers and within those few days enough must've happened to the driver source to get it out of whack with the xbmc build. Heh Stop changing things dammit! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Now upgrading to 33122... fingers crossed...

Many thanks for your help Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CrystalHD no video on Ubuntu0