newbie - advise/critic my planned htpc
Hi gang, I'm new in town.

I'm looking to build my own HTPC finally, with the extra benefit of a TV tuner for record/playback. I can't decide to go with a prebuilt ion2 system, a mini ITX or a mini ATX. Everyone seems to keep hitting walls are to useable hardware and support.

My main concerns are being able to playback 1080p, recording/watching at 720p (1080p if possible) and running silently. My other problem is my aging Fujitsu plasma and Panasonic dvd/surround don't support HDMI at all, so I'm stuck using component/composite. The optical in on the Panasonic is also shot, so I'm really screwed. I intend to upgrade to a proper receiver and Panasonic Vierra soon though so I need to future proof.

I was thinking of something like the below as I don't have a NAS setup yet and could use the one box for everything. I'm currently streaming via ethernet using win7 64-bit. I'm sick of transcoding whenever HD content is played. I'll be bringing in a NAS or similar option at a later stage. This is from poofyhairguys link in another thread. *Edit* My bad, thanks to Flowmaster link here

CPU: Core i3 530 2.93GHz LGA1156, $113.
CPU Cooler: Stock cooler, $0.
Motherboard: ASRock H55M Pro LGA1156 Intel H55 chipset microATX, $95.
Memory: G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ DDR3-1600 2 x 2GB Kit, $106.
Graphics Card (ATI): Sapphire HD 5670 GDDR5 512MB 100287L, $90. An alternative is HIS H567Q512 Radeon HD 5670 GDDR5 512MB, $95.
Graphics Card (NVIDIA): EVGA 01G-P3-1235 GeForce GT 240 DDR3 1GB, $100.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB ST3500418AS SATA 3.0Gbps 7200 RPM, $42.
PSU: Corsair VX450W CMPSU-450VX 450W, $65. An alternative is Enermax ECO80+ II 400W EES400AWT II, $57.
Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black microATX, with LCD/IR receiver/remote, $140.
Total Cost: $651 for ATI, $661 for NVIDIA

The biggest problem I have is sourcing parts... I'm an Aussie and the distributors here really lack the range you lucky overseas people have.

I was thinking of using a SSD for the OS (XBMC linux/live) and exchanging the case for Zalman HD503 as it looks fairly sexy and has the IR I need for my harmony 525. It also gives me more room to bring in drives for storage in the short term.

Down the track I'll be adding less capable ion2 boxes to bedroom tvs as needed.

Last are there any major issues setting up a tuner using XBMC Linux? What about MCE IR?

So... I'm open to all ideas. I don't want to spend a fortune (yet) but the long term goal leaves me room to breath a bit. Flame away. Smile

Cheers
I should have said I was looking to include a blueray drive as well.

I'm thinking that with blueray and possibly 2 tuners it's better to go for a larger case that can house everything instead of having too many devices hanging off the USB ports?
If you are using linux, then ati cards are a non starter - their drivers are poor under linux. Stick with nvidia.

Personally, if i was you i would go with an ion based net top hooked up to the tv - its cheap, quiet and will happily play anything you can through at it.

Then build a nas / pvr box that will do all of your recording and stick it out of the way somewhere else. Even that doesn't need too powerful a cpu if all your doing is recording/serving files.
prae5 Wrote:If you are using linux, then ati cards are a non starter - their drivers are poor under linux. Stick with nvidia.

Personally, if i was you i would go with an ion based net top hooked up to the tv - its cheap, quiet and will happily play anything you can through at it.

Then build a nas / pvr box that will do all of your recording and stick it out of the way somewhere else. Even that doesn't need too powerful a cpu if all your doing is recording/serving files.

I had originally thought that. But there are only 2 rooms with a TV antenna port. Nowhere else to put the tuner really that's why I was thinking of an all in one unit.

It's that or have another plug installed. Wink

How hard would it be to use an ion box to record/watch tv, and set up an automated process to move recorded shows to the NAS once completed? Can current gen ion/ion2 record 1080p with the tuner USB/internal tuner?

Cheers mate
Tilde Wrote:It's that or have another plug installed. Wink

How hard would it be to use an ion box to record/watch tv, and set up an automated process to move recorded shows to the NAS once completed? Can current gen ion/ion2 record 1080p with the tuner USB/internal tuner?

It takes very little resources to record. Any modern computer should be able to record several shows at the same time. If you have to do any video editing is where you may run into trouble. For instance my MythTv is set up to flag commercials after the recording is finished, this can be very taxing on the system.

I'm sure you could setup an automated process to move recordings. It's probably going to be a more of a headache
than splitting your antenna to another room. If your going to use a NAS it would definitely be worth it.
Tilde Wrote:I had originally thought that. But there are only 2 rooms with a TV antenna port. Nowhere else to put the tuner really that's why I was thinking of an all in one unit.

HDhomerun. I have two.

You are welcome.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
newbie - advise/critic my planned htpc0