Netbook for XBMC
Hello,

I looking for a new XBMC Client. I was thinking of one of the ION PCs but then I had a second thought. Would be nice to have a Netbook. Because I am travaling a lot, and when I buy one with a good Graphic Card should work fine for XBMC.

Any recommendations?
Needed:
10"
HDMI
Graphic Card thats works with xbmcbuntu

No need of a big HD, because will change it with my SSD from another PC.

< 500€ would be nice. But as well I can buy in UK (My sister lifes there) or USA (Going soon on vacation there)
point of view Mobii ION7010

the rest is larger (11,6 to 12")": lenovo S12, eeePC 1201PN, samsung N510, compaq mini 311

be aware that over the coming months a lot of ION2 netbooks with optimus energy saving technology are predicted
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
Do any of the netbooks use the Ion chipset? Thats what I would look for.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:point of view Mobii ION7010

the rest is larger (11,6 to 12")": lenovo S12, eeePC 1201PN, samsung N510, compaq mini 311
I will have a look at this
Hannes The Hun Wrote:be aware that over the coming months a lot of ION2 netbooks with optimus energy saving technology are predicted
Coming monthHuh if its 2-3 Month I could wait. But longer doesn't make sense. --> You can always wait for better product

And are these Products so much better?

I now found the Nokia Booklet 3G, and I really like it.
The only question is: Does the Intel's Poulsbo US15W chipset do HD playback on xbmcbuntu?
Redneck Wrote:Do any of the netbooks use the Ion chipset? Thats what I would look for.

of course, else I wouldn't have recommended them. but you could have found out via google or any electronics online shop if you wanted, too.

@frozone: fresh from today: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/asus-...core-atom/

it's still too early to tell if the atom2 netbooks with this optimus GPU core-switching technology really make any sense at all, you could of course just grab a current model for a good price and be done with it.
looking at the current state the intel drivers and VA-API are in I strongly suggest going for nothing else than nvidia (ION) and vdpau regarding linux HD playback.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Hannes The Hun Wrote:of course, else I wouldn't have recommended them. but you could have found out via google or any electronics online shop if you wanted, too.

That was what I was suggesting to Frozone but you beat me to the post.Rolleyes
Hannes The Hun Wrote:of course, else I wouldn't have recommended them. but you could have found out via google or any electronics online shop if you wanted, too.

@frozone: fresh from today: http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/26/asus-...core-atom/

it's still too early to tell if the atom2 netbooks with this optimus GPU core-switching technology really make any sense at all, you could of course just grab a current model for a good price and be done with it.
looking at the current state the intel drivers and VA-API are in I strongly suggest going for nothing else than nvidia (ION) and vdpau regarding linux HD playback.

OK thx.
I don't like the POV. And didn't find any other ION with 10".

Edit: The new Asus could be fine, but for the moment there is only one without ION
But I really like the Nokia, has 1280:720 Screen. So I guess I have to look into XBMC for Windows 7 and see If it works there with DXVA.
Redneck Wrote:That was what I was suggesting to Frozone but you beat me to the post.Rolleyes

ah goddammit, sorry for that Confused

so you should then have all the fun of telling him that "poulsbo" is in fact the intel GMA500, and don't forget to tell him about the "awesome" HD playback capabilities either with DXVA or VA-API... there I was sitting, googling for some good HD-capable netbooks, and that guy comes running with this nokia piece of shit. pfffff.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Piece of shit? Why? Could only find good reviews.
But when I read here about DXVA I can see that it does not work good with INTEL Graphics.

So i have to wait for new Netbooks with ION, but the problem they have mostly shit Display resolution.
nah I won't tell anymore, I'm pissed.
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
The Asus eee 1005PR has a built in Broadcom Crystal HD decoder, so you can get some sweet acceleration.

It is 10" and does 1366x768

only downside is that it doesnt have HDMI

Replace the stock 1gig Ram with a 2gig stick, unlock Win7 Starter to Win7 Ultimate, install a SSD and you have a super sweet little machine.
The best by far is the HP Mini 311. I have it and its my favorite notebook ever:

-Ion (LE but can be converted easy)

-Overclockable (Mine runs at 2.2ghz all the time)

-I will confirm right here can play Blu Ray rips

-Works with Windows 7, Linux and OSX perfectly (best Netbook hackintosh on the market)

-Light weight, great styling

-Up to 3GB DDR3 ram

-HDMI and VGA

-11.6Inch Screen but 1366 x 768 res

-Overclocked and with a SSD smokes many normal dual core notebooks I have messed with

-Extra PCIe Slot for Bluetooth (what I use), Broadcom (no reason), etc.

Only real downside is the trackpad kinda sucks and the default bios has a wireless whitelist.

Thx,

The Asus eee 1005PR without HDMI is no option.

But the HP looks nice, but I was looking for a 10". I will go to a Shop and have a look at them. What has to be converted from the ION?
Have you looked here yet ? http://www.linuxtech.net/features/nvidia...age_2.html
ion_man Wrote:Have you looked here yet ? http://www.linuxtech.net/features/nvidia...age_2.html

No, didn't knew that page. But are the models people a recomending here Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Netbook for XBMC0