New Zbox with Intel CULV processors and ION announced
This should make the HTPC market more interesting
http://www.zotacusa.com/forum/topic/3360...platforms/

My understanding is the Intel Celeron SU2300 blows an atom cpu out of the water. Not sure about power consumption tho.
I've read about this yesterday

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/M...68329.html (german article)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/28/zotac...and-cheap/

atom 230: 4W
atom 330: 8W
culv celeron: 10W

even if the additional power consumption compared to a 330 atom might not seem much, I really hope zotac have sorted out their heat problems esp. with 2nd gen atom systems because I really appreciate the gained performance
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I had already thought of that.. a nice culv cpu, while drawning 2W more, is much more capable than the Atom, even running at less MHz. I know what I'm talking about: I have both an Atom 330 machine and a SU4100 subnotebook.

However, as stated by Hannes, the additional 2W may be a problem when disipating the heat.. the zbox and the mag are really small; the Asrock 330ht is bigger but inside everything is packed; the jetway and other OEMs are also really small. Maybe case should grow a bit, at least in height, and pack some bigger cooler with standard fans (6cm?) which should also lower noise.
anandtech wrote a review of this
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3869/zotac...vidias-ion
anandtech make an excellent point there: *if* the guys in the funny spacesuits at intel would finally get their heads out of their asses and give us some good software support regarding drivers and GPU accelerated decoding (VA-API) the clarksdale platform would be far more suitable for XBMC use.
OpenElec Standalone --> Asus Chromebox 'Panther' --> Onkyo TX-NR709 --> Sony 55" X85C Android TV (also with Kodi!)
Asus Chromebox EZ Script
Kodi on Sony Bravia Android TVs
I don't really see the point of this for the XBMC HTPC crowd.

For x264 and Blu Ray level playback, and Atom and ION can already do the job. Sure a faster CPU will make the interface a little faster, but a SSD provides a bigger boost and will be a cheaper option.

The only reason I want more power than an Atom in my HTPC if if I am doing things outside XBMC- I want to watch 1080p Flash, or HD videos that VDPAU doesn't support.

But in those cases I want enough CPU power to do the job by itself, which in my own tests is somewhere around a 2.2 GHZ Core 2 Duo.

The SU2300 with a whole 1GHZ less than that can't play HD on its own (at least without paying for Core AVC), so it really doesn't provide a functional speed boost over an Atom.

I guess it would also bee good for people who download on their HTPCs (help with unraring).....

With that said, I realize that there are people in this world who use these nettops as primary PCs, and I bet they will enjoy the extra speed.

All platforms (ION, culv, arrandale/i3, AMD, blahblah) are capable of playing 1080p so you get what you pay for. The more you pay the more power you buy. I think the first platform combo (motherboard, cpu, gpu) that can play 1080P and go totally silent (or even better: fanless) is winner.
Hannes The Hun Wrote:anandtech make an excellent point there: *if* the guys in the funny spacesuits at intel would finally get their heads out of their asses and give us some good software support regarding drivers and GPU accelerated decoding (VA-API) the clarksdale platform would be far more suitable for XBMC use.

No it wouldn't, for one important reason: cooling and consequently noise.

Cooling always has to be spec'ed according to the maximum TDP of a cpu and chipset, not the idle TDP (since you don't want to fry it when running something cpu/gpu intensive), therefore a Clarkdale with it's 73W TDP requires a lot more airflow than a Atom+ION with 25-30W TDP.

Hence it's much harder to fit a Clarkdale built into a small case and still make sure that it's adequately and quietly cooled even when the cpu is running at full power.

The fact that the Clarkdale cpus are very efficient when idle (not much more than Atom+ION) doesn't matter at all in this case, that would be more important for a PC running 24/7, like a file server (and for that a Clarkdale is still overkill).

Atom+ION is still king in XBMC land.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Zbox with Intel CULV processors and ION announced0