CrystalHD rev2.01 more issues than 1.03 AppleTV
So the other day I updated my AppleTV to r33324 as well as CrystalHD rev 2.01 and noticed a huge amount of "waves" in my playback. By wave I mean the FPS would drop to around 12, jump up to 24, and then go back to 12. Is there a conflict with this XBMC revision and this new build? I rolled back to the old 1.03 crystalHD build and now I have almost no stuttering at all. This is a 720p MKV at ~10Mb/s variable bit rate.

I looked through my log and found nothing that hinted at a hiccup regarding the crystalHD. I guess I'm complaining for no reason since 1.03 and this new revision of XBMC plays 720p without hiccup for most of the time. Any clues?

Also, is there a different way I should go about installing the crystalHD drivers? I usually just download the newest build and FTP it to the AppleTV, chmod/chown it, and reboot.

Launcher 3.2.beta3
AppleTV with 5400rpm drive
Freshly rebooted
Current CrystalHD build 1.03 (problems on 2.01)
XBMC 10.0-beta1 r33324
Hi bcm70012 old-layout card here. Also had problems with 2.x crystalhd releases. However, I'm now on 3.6.0 and it's working great - even 1080p rips that would choke previously.

Just make sure that in Settings --> Video --> Playback you have:

"Adjust display refresh rate to match video" checked
"Sync playback to display" unchecked

and it should work fine.

Jim
Jimmer Wrote:Hi bcm70012 old-layout card here. Also had problems with 2.x crystalhd releases. However, I'm now on 3.6.0 and it's working great - even 1080p rips that would choke previously.

Just make sure that in Settings --> Video --> Playback you have:

"Adjust display refresh rate to match video" checked
"Sync playback to display" unchecked

and it should work fine.

Jim

Well I just updated to 3.6.0 and I get audio but no video. Is the 3.6.0 build compatible with the AppleTV? My settings match yours. I guess I stick with 1.03 until I can figure out what's going on.
post_break Wrote:Well I just updated to 3.6.0 and I get audio but no video. Is the 3.6.0 build compatible with the AppleTV? My settings match yours. I guess I stick with 1.03 until I can figure out what's going on.

Of course 3.6.0 is compatible with the AppleTV. kextstat, dmesg and xbmc.log tells all if you are having problems. Use 3.6.0 and NOT 2.0.1.
Ok I removed all traces of 1.03 and figured out that bcmFilePlayFw.bin was conflicting with these new drivers. Now playback appears completely stable after a small hiccup at load. Thanks for being patient with me.

I only questioned the compatibility with the AppleTV after seeing the DMA buffer comments in the source on Google Code.
post_break Wrote:Ok I removed all traces of 1.03 and figured out that bcmFilePlayFw.bin was conflicting with these new drivers. Now playback appears completely stable after a small hiccup at load. Thanks for being patient with me.

I only questioned the compatibility with the AppleTV after seeing the DMA buffer comments in the source on Google Code.

http://code.google.com/p/crystalhd-for-o...tail?r=151
davilla Wrote:Of course 3.6.0 is compatible with the AppleTV. kextstat, dmesg and xbmc.log tells all if you are having problems. Use 3.6.0 and NOT 2.0.1.

Is 3.6.0 16 or 8 DMA buffers on the AppleTV OS? I'm running 2.0.1 right now with only minor frame drop occasionally. Considerably less suttering than 1.x did but still not perfect.
Einkoro Wrote:Is 3.6.0 16 or 8 DMA buffers on the AppleTV OS? I'm running 2.0.1 right now with only minor frame drop occasionally. Considerably less suttering than 1.x did but still not perfect.

3.6.0 uses 8 for osx, that what I linked to.
davilla Wrote:3.6.0 uses 8 for osx, that what I linked to.

Alright thanks for the info. Upgrading to beta 1 and 3.6.0.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CrystalHD rev2.01 more issues than 1.03 AppleTV0