[Aeon65] [Request for comments] Removing folder.jpg support
What do you think about removing folder.jpg support ? There's no point in having: poster.jpg, movie.tbn, folder.jpg just for the sake of tring to catch all default possibilities. I never used them, they not hard to maintain but the support is irregular between views...

- Should we only support poster.jpg ?
- Should we remove folderr.jpg (For example the logo downloader downloads a folder.jpg file which is displayed on top of the tvdb scrapped poster for some of my tv show, which is irritating.

Any ideas ?
folder.jpg is the default for xbmc, how would you remove this?
I'm talking about removing areas in the skin that does load texture like this:
PHP Code:
<texture>$INFO[ListItem.path]folder.jpg</texture
In: 720p/DialogVideoInfo.xml 720p/Viewtype_List.xml and LowList
If you are going to remove anything it should be the other naming conventions. Keeping skins in line with xbmc defaults should be a common practice. Once you get into outside naming everyone gets confused and you end up with countless posts about how to make a skin work.

As far as I know poster.jpg isn't an xbmc naming scheme. It was created within Aeon.

Your code above can be removed. Simply use <texture>listitem.thumb</texture> It makes no sense at all to have that.....
ekim232 Wrote:If you are going to remove anything it should be the other naming conventions. Keeping skins in line with xbmc defaults should be a common practice. Once you get into outside naming everyone gets confused and you end up with countless posts about how to make a skin work.

You mean poster.jpg and movie.tbn ?
Correct

I don't know any other skin that those work with. I always try to keep things in line with xbmc standards. That way, skins will work right out of the box, so to say.
Ok, I always thought poster.jpg was somehow typical of Aeon but I may be wrong.
ekim232 Wrote:If you are going to remove anything it should be the other naming conventions. Keeping skins in line with xbmc defaults should be a common practice. Once you get into outside naming everyone gets confused and you end up with countless posts about how to make a skin work.

As far as I know poster.jpg isn't an xbmc naming scheme. It was created within Aeon.

Your code above can be removed. Simply use <texture>listitem.thumb</texture> It makes no sense at all to have that.....

listitem.thumb is cached and has lower quality (at least it was some time ago and I don´t believe that has changed)
movie.tbn is the naming scheme when extracting your xbmc database so we should keep at least that for movies although it seems as if yould change the cached image size in the advancedsettings.xml...but I don´t believe this is a good idea in terms of performance.

from xbmc wiki:
<thumbsize>

Size of the square in pixels that XBMC will use to cache thumbnail images. If the thumb is smaller than this size it will be cached as-is. If it is larger it will be scaled so that the number of pixels is less than a square of this value. Default is 512 (192 on xbox), which refers to 512x512 = 262144 (for XBox 192x192 = 36864) pixels in total. The thumbnail will be cached at using the same aspect ratio as the original image, using up to 262144 (for XBox 36864) pixels.

for poster.jpg:
i think a lot of media managers have poster.jpg as their standard (at least for tv shows), so I think that´s the reason why that file name is used...but it wasn´t me who implemented that.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
See this post if you want the history of Aeon's naming scheme's. My suggestion is to always just keep it simple, unless you want to answer questions day in and day out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...poster.jpg
I think it was a minor thing for users to use. The way <texture>$INFO[ListItem.path]folder.jpg</texture> is used in Aeon is only for the Info screen, I believe, unlike 'extrathumbs' which is an extra for users but have a cool purpose, and can be used in different ways.

And like phil65 said with the advancedsettings you can now specify a bigger thumb size if you'd like...

Check out The Carmichael - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Night - A Skin For XBMC

Check out Unfinished - A Skin For XBMC
ekim232 Wrote:See this post if you want the history of Aeon's naming scheme's. My suggestion is to always just keep it simple, unless you want to answer questions day in and day out.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...poster.jpg

I don´t think that we should keep it too simple if the image quality suffers (and I remember that it made a huge difference, very noticeable in DialogVideoInfo, but also for the other bigger covers like list and low list) so I´m strongly against removing these "hacks" (unless someone convinces me that it makes no quality differences, will try it out when I´m back home)

We should use the filenames that are given to the files when the database is extracted so everyone can "update" the shown cover with one press of a button in the settings.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
phil65 Wrote:movie.tbn is the naming scheme when extracting your xbmc database so we should keep at least that for movies
Yeah but, why displaying it on top of ListItem.Icon, If some exported its xbmc database, movie.tbn == cached thumb so no need to display it?

phil65 Wrote:for poster.jpg, i think a lot of media managers have poster.jpg as their standard (at least for tv shows), so I think that´s the reason why that file name is used...but it wasn´t me who implemented that.

Again, If I add a show using a media manager (I don't use one) XBMC will cache a thumbnail of the show according to the nfo file no ? So no point using another image for poster.jpg ?

The only useful image I've think is useful is folder.jpg for Landscape view other than that I think we can remove and simplify a lot of areas no ?
phil65 Wrote:We should use the filenames that are given to the files when the database is extracted so everyone can "update" the shown cover with one press of a button in the settings.

The purpose of extracting the database it to be able to import it later, not provide a way via movie.tbn to overide ListItem.Icon ? (Which can be done using Set Thumb in xbmc)
But you would lose the possiblity to show the thumbs in full quality... i have them in full quality by using ember media manager, and i don´t want to lose that. if movie.tbn doesn´t have the full resolution (I don´t know how the caching/extracting works in xbmc) we should use another file, but we should have defintely a way to display them larger than the standard 512 x 512. DJH included this with a reason some time ago.

people who don´t want to use it won´t have that files, so it doesn´t really matter if it is included, isn´t it? they should be simply be shown in front of the cover, if you want we can do that with includes. (apart from that, i don´t think that we should work too much with includes, at least across the viewtypes.. can be very irritating sometimes and Aeon has, in Comparison to Confluence, already now 15 times more includes (50 against 750 i think)
now, poster.jpg is also cached Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Aeon65] [Request for comments] Removing folder.jpg support0