How to block XBMC's UPNP for specific hosts in your network?
Hi,

I want to block a single computer in my home network from XBMC's UPNP. As far as I know there are no configuration options in XBMC which would allow this, so I thought maybe it can be done with a firewall rule. I don't want to block all traffic to this computer, there are other services which still have to work.

Can anybody tell me how I have to configure the firewall to accomplish this? My XBMC-box runs on a Windows 7 64bit machine.
iirc upnp uses port 5000/tcp and 1900/udp - you could try denying those ports for the machine you dont want to connect.
I tried your suggestion, but for some reason it didnt't work. I did a "netstat -a" when XBMC was running and tried to block every port from that output one by one.

What works is an Inbound Rule which blocks the local TCP ports 62895 and 63505. Those ports seem strange to me, I expected some lower numbers but whatever.
xbmc will grab some available ports to start it's upnp server on, then it broadcasts those ports to the network for clients to use. so it would be tricky to block since you don't know the ports.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

elupus Wrote:xbmc will grab some available ports to start it's upnp server on, then it broadcasts those ports to the network for clients to use. so it would be tricky to block since you don't know the ports.

So that means, that my first solution isn't very reliable. I had another idea though: On the XBMC-box I changed the network adapter settings and added a second IP in a different subnet and created both an inbound and outbound firewall rule which prevents XBMC.EXE from using the new IP. Then I moved the Playstation 3 into that subnet.
Now XBMC can still connect to all my computers which are in the first subnet, but is unable to talk to my PS3. The Playstation Media Server Application, which is also running on my XBMC-Box is only allowed to talk to the PS3 IP in the second subnet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to block XBMC's UPNP for specific hosts in your network?0