Compro K300 Remote
Does anyone know if the Compro K300 is compatible with XBMC on Windows XP? It's the cheapest remote i can find in South Africa.
Here's a link to its spec : http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/k300/k300.html
I have the k100 (same drivers) and had it going, but it was kinda funky. I was using irserversuite. Give eventghost a try, not sure if it'll work but I use it now (but on vista) you should be able to makw it work, just be prepared for a bit work (stress). Confused
Asus Essentio CS5110, Intel E8300, 2 GB Ram, 8600M GT
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi..._with_XBMC

I had a quick look at the link you provide and the remote looks like many other MCE remotes, in which case it will probably work with the Dharma beta out of the box. Just connect it to your PC and see if Windows autodetects it.

JR
Hi,

Can anyone help me with the K300 remote? I purchased it today and only some of the functions work within XBMC. The navigation buttons at the top don't work as well as play and OK, but pause/fast forward/rewind/stop/volume up/volume down and mute all work. I am not to worried about the numbers and all the other buttons, I just want the navigation buttons and play button to work. I don't know if I have set it up properly. So if anyone who has done this before could you please give me some pointers. I don't understand xml so I am hesitate to fiddle with keyboard.xml. I have tried the MCERemote add-on and it does not work either.

If anyone has a keyboard.xml for me that would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance and thank you for XBMC!
Paul
Did you look at the link I posted above? Have you tried using ShowKey to see what if anything the remote is sending?

JR
I use the K300 with Eventghost and the XBMC plugin. I had to assign some of the keys but that is quite simple.
jhsrennie Wrote:Did you look at the link I posted above? Have you tried using ShowKey to see what if anything the remote is sending?

JR

Hi JR,

Yes I have tried the link you posted, Thank you very much.

I have tried ShowKey to see what the remote is sending. What I don't know is where to put the commands that ShowKey displays. There is the copy (to clip board) button that I tried and pasted to a normal txt file, I don't understand the xml format of the keyboard.xml, so I am not sure as to where they must go in the xml.

Question: Am I correct in assuming that these commands that ShowKey generates are to replace commands in the keyboard.xml?

I'm using XP Pro 32 bit as an OS. I just need some guidance in the form of an example keyboard.xml and I am sure I could figure out what goes where.

I can post the key press codes for the key I want to use, if you could show where I need to paste them to set them up in keyboard.xml?

Thanks in advance
Paul
eddiem Wrote:I use the K300 with Eventghost and the XBMC plugin. I had to assign some of the keys but that is quite simple.

Hi eddiem,

Will Eventghost work on XP? Sorry if this is a dumb question.. But I am a noobie to XBMC (using it for 2 months). I was lead to believe that the K300 is plug and play with XBMC as its a type 3 MCE remote.

Up until now I have used my iPhone4 with XBMC remote installed to control XBMC via my wifi network. Now the K300 is for my wife to use XBMC while I am at work. The K300 "works" without any mods to any xml file and add-in enabled. It just a few important keys like Play and the navigation buttons that do not work. I press and nothing happens.

If I select a movie using a mouse or my iPhone and click it so it starts playing, I can use the K300 to stop/fast forward/rewind the movie. If I press the play/pause button the movie pauses and then will not play until I click play on the OSD using a mouse or my iPhone. Volume up and down as well as mute also works. I am not worried about all the other buttons. As all I need working is navigation in the file explorer view and OK to select the movie and it must start playing and play if the movie is paused or stopped.

I have a feeling that play does not work because pause and play are on the same button. ShowKey displays a command play_pause when it is pressed.

I really appreciate any assistance, Thank you.

Kind Regards
Paul
ABU-D Wrote:Hi eddiem,

Will Eventghost work on XP?

Yes, it will. Eventghost Homepage.
ABU-D Wrote:Question: Am I correct in assuming that these commands that ShowKey generates are to replace commands in the keyboard.xml?

Is the K300 an eHome remote? See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Usi...in_Windows for how to find out. If it's an eHome remote then using the MCERemote add-on can configure it to send the standard Windows Media Center keystrokes and XBMC is already configured to work with these so no fiddling with keyboard.xml is required.

JR
Hi,

@ jhsrennie: I checked my remote USB receiver and it is not list as an eHome receiver under the HID tab of my device manager but it is display as an eHome Receiver under the USB part of the device manager. Remember I am running a XP Pro 32 bit OS.

@ eddiem: I installed EventGhost, but I don't know which input plugin to use.

I have tested my new remote on a Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate installation and it works perfectly without any fiddling with Windows Media center. If I press the round Green button Windows Media center executes and the navigation, play and pause works fine. So I am happier now that I know it only an interface issue between my remote's IR receiver and XBMC. I am planning to re-install XBMC on the weekend as I think I might messed keyboard.xml up last night as now nothing is working via keyboard or remote. Only mouse clicks work.

I think my biggest problem is that play and pause are on the same button on the remote. I suspect XBMC is looking for separate Play and Pause buttons. Also correct me if I am wrong my remote is send VK_ commands and XBMC is "looking" for key strokes cntl-shft-p etc...

Thanks for the help...Regards Paul
ABU-D Wrote:@ jhsrennie: I checked my remote USB receiver and it is not list as an eHome receiver under the HID tab of my device manager but it is display as an eHome Receiver under the USB part of the device manager. Remember I am running a XP Pro 32 bit OS.

eHome remotes work fine in XP Pro 32 bit. As it happens that's what I run on my main HTPC and I use a Microsoft remote that uses the eHome driver.

I'm a bit puzzled that the eHome receiver doesn't appear in the HID section. Eventghost has a "Disable HID device" option. Have you enabled this? If so, that may be why the eHome receiver doesn't appear. Try disabled in the optin and reboot and see if the receiver reappears.

The VK_ messages are keystroke messages e.g. if you press ctrl-shift-P you get a VK_KEYDOWN message with the message parameters indicating that P was pressed.

JR
Hi,

Well I have made a mess of things. I have been fiddling with keyboard.xml that sits in the system folder under XBMC in Program files, I found out today I should have another keyboard.xml under application data. I have uninstalled Event Ghost as I do not know which plugin to select.

Where can I find the original keyboard.xml? As I wish to start a fresh. I still do not understand the xml format of keyboard.xml.

All I need is an example of Play/Pause and I should be able to figure out the rest.

Here is a screen capture on my device manager...

Hope this helps...

Thanks again
Paul
Grab a copy of KeyMapEdit from http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/

This include a keystroke detector, so configuring a remote button is a simple as selecting the "Detect keystroke" menu item, pressing the required button then choosing the action you want for that button.

Note that you need the MCERemote add-on or EliteGamer360's script to configure the remote to send keypresses.

You can get a copy of the system keyboard.xml from https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...yboard.xml

JR
Star 
Hi JR,

I really appreciate the assistance.

This is what I have done.

1) re-installed Windows XP Pro 32 bit, XBMC 10.1 and my remote drivers
2) tested my K300 remote without changing any settings with XBMC 10.1 running.

Results in Home screen and movie file listing screen:

Navigation Up: nothing
Navigation Down: nothing
Navigation Left: nothing
Navigation Right: nothing
OK: nothing

Had to use mouse to start a movie playing.

Results while movie is playing:

Rewind ( << ): X2 X4 X8 backwards depending on how many times I press this button.
Fast Forward ( >> ): X2 X4 X8 forward depending on how many times I press this button.
Stop: Movie stops playing and returns to folder list. To start movie playing again I have to click the high lighted file name with mouse.
Play/Pause: If movie is playing it will pause, any press of any button nothing happens, I have to use mouse to click on Play on OSD.
If I am fast forwarding or rewinding and I press play/pause movie will start playing at normal speed.

Volume Up: Volume increases.
Volume Down: Volume decreases.
Mute: Sound mutes.

Here are the key press codes copied and pasted directly out of Showkey:

Up:` <up>Notification(Key, up, 3)</up>
Down: <down>Notification(Key, down, 3)</down>
Left: <left>Notification(Key, left, 3)</left>
Right: <right>Notification(Key, right, 3)</right>
OK: <return>Notification(Key, return, 3)</return>

Play/Pause: <play_pause>Notification(Key, play_pause, 3)</play_pause>
Stop: <stop>Notification(Key, stop, 3)</stop>
Rewind: <b mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(Key, b, 3)</b>
Fast Forward: <f mod="ctrl,shift">Notification(Key, f, 3)</f>

Volume Up: <volume_up>Notification(Key, volume_up, 3)</volume_up>
Volume Down: <volume_down>Notification(Key, volume_down, 3)/volume_down>
Mute: <volume_mute>Notification(Key, volume_mute, 3)</volume_mute>

At the moment these are the only buttons I want to work. Up,Down,Left,Right and OK I want working from the home screen all the way to my my movies folder listing screen. The rest I want to work while the movie is playing. The OK button must start the movie playing from my movies folder listing.

Now what I don't know, is what to do from now Huh How do I create a keymap.xml or another keyboard.xml that will work with my remote?

I ran Keymapedit, selected Keymap->Detect keypress, then pressed Play/Pause on my remote, then selected PlayPause action from the pop up box.

Here is the keyboard.xml copied and pasted...

<!--Template XBMC keyboard file-->
<keymap>
<global>
<keyboard>
<play_pause>playpause</play_pause>
</keyboard>
</global>
</keymap>

If I save this to... C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\Application Data\XBMC\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml

and run XBMC, I select and start playing a movie using my mouse, then press Play/Pause, my movie Pauses then I press Play/Pause again it never plays. I have to use my mouse to start it playing again....

a) Have I done something wrong again, do I have to reinstall everything again?

b) Must I still install your MCERemote Plugin?

c) Must I buy another remote, with separate Play and Pause buttons?

Thank you again for your assistance, by the way I have been reading up as much as I can find on the forum about remotes and the issues surrounding them and getting them working in XBMC.

Regards
Paul

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Compro K300 Remote0