Update of XBMC within XBMC.
The title says it all. It would be great if XBMC would update itself within the program (yep, similar to what happens with plugins and skins in Dharma).
It would be also great to have the following options:

Autoupdate:
1- Automatic (no confirmation will be asked and the update will be downloaded and applied at the next XBMC startup --> with maybe a popup the next time you'll go in the menu to notify the user that an update was downloaded and it will be applied at the next startup of the program. After the update is applied would be nice to have a popup that will just notify the user of the success of the update, just the same as what happens after installing a plugin/skin in Dharma)
2- Ask (the program will notify of a new version of XBMC and ask confirmation to download it and apply the update -with an automatic restart of the program if needed-. The notification of a new version will take place the first time you go in the menu --> so no notification while playing a movie)
3- No (XBMC will never check and download an update. See option bellow)

Check now (the program will force a check and download/apply the update only after this button is pressed --> so it's a manual update)

What do you think?
Even if updating XBMC is already quite easy (just install it over the previous one), having everything withing the program itself accomplishes the following:

- Users (even the laziest ones) will most likely have all the latest versions with less bugs and problems.
- We'll have an even more professional program. Rofl
- The cool feeling of having everything updated without having to move from the couch.

P.S. And maybe a secret hidden option for beta and SVN unstable versions? Nerd
You forgot the most important of all... "Waaaaaaaaa, I don't like this version, restore to the previous one"

Smile
switch to live and you already have this.
davilla Wrote:You forgot the most important of all... "Waaaaaaaaa, I don't like this version, restore to the previous one"

Smile

with this feature you could have a revert feature.

meaning when it updates it keeps a copy of the files that were changed before the update. User clicks revert in the menu item. The files are restored to previous state.

having a feature like this would be helpful.

During update prompt (whether or not you are asked about applying update) have a prompt that asks "Would You Like to Make a Back-up of Current Version of XBMC?"

Users are given an option. They Choose No, then they are S.O.L. and no right to whine about the new version. And have a special feature to add the SVN/Bleeding Edge versions to be added to the update list.
and what about database updates ? those would have to get reverted too.
davilla Wrote:and what about database updates ? those would have to get reverted too.

Possibly Back-Up to the Point of Update (same as changed Files).
Data Added Since The Update will be deleted.

Give A Prompt when reverting:
Quote:Any changes that have been made to your Media Libraries since the last XBMC update will be Erased
Continue
Y/N

Most users won't have much of a problem rescanning sources.
I would have thought most users only use the stable releases and seeing as they're quite far apart there's little point in this. As for the rest of us we know where the nightlies are and the risks involved in testing them out.
Hitcher Wrote:I would have thought most users only use the stable releases and seeing as they're quite far apart there's little point in this. As for the rest of us we know where the nightlies are and the risks involved in testing them out.
Yes, stable releases are quite far apart, but consider the fact that a big part of users are the type of "set it and forget it type". They just don't bother to check the site and don't even know about the new Dharma ....and who knows when they'll know (well if they have the RSS feed enabled they should know about it but still...).
With automatic updates they will have everything updated without a single thing to do (exactly as they like it).
If the releases are far apart you might risk that users will know about the new XBMC version who knows when (users are more inclined to check a site when they know that releases are coming out frequently).

I would like to try the night releases...what's wrong if XBMC does the job for me as soon as they are available?

I check updates for beta builds of another software more than once a day and I would love if it had automatic updates (well it has but only on stable releases). The same goes for XBMC.

In any case, it's not a big deal...it's just a plus nice to have (and even nicer for the "experienced people"). If not for beta/night buids at least for stable ones.
Bumping a nine year old thread. Smile

Searched the forums but couldn't find a newer thread about this. Redirect me if there is one.

I've wondered for a long time why Kodi does not have a built in update function. I think OP's suggestion is great. I would add having update channels, i.e. stable, pre-release and nightly. Is there any special reason why this has not been implemented?
(2019-02-19, 23:40)Snaah Wrote: I've wondered for a long time why Kodi does not have a built in update function.
Short answer is that there are more important areas of Kodi that require attention, and no-one has expressed an interest in coding it. Then how do you code that for all the different platforms we support. Quickly turns into a massive job.

If you want that, then use the Store version.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2019-02-20, 00:22)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-02-19, 23:40)Snaah Wrote: I've wondered for a long time why Kodi does not have a built in update function.
Short answer is that there are more important areas of Kodi that require attention, and no-one has expressed an interest in coding it. Then how do you code that for all the different platforms we support. Quickly turns into a massive job.

If you want that, then use the Store version. 
Ok. I thought there might be some other reason. Surprised no one wanted to do it in 9 years.

I won't use the M$ store version, but thanks anyway. Smile
There are updater addons in the official repo for windows and android, and distros like libreelec / osmc have auto-update options, so maybe there's something there you can use...
(2019-02-20, 02:37)trogggy Wrote: There are updater addons in the official repo for windows and android, and distros like libreelec / osmc have auto-update options, so maybe there's something there you can use...
 Oh, how can I have missed that? What's the name (Win)?
(2019-02-20, 04:35)Snaah Wrote:  Oh, how can I have missed that?
You and me both. Smile Thanks @troggy

It is here... https://kodi.tv/addon/scripts/kodi-windows-installer
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
The problem I am led to believe is tbat it's not a simple task to do it in a cross platform way for all the different OS's that Kodi supports, hence it hasn't been done as part of the code. I think there has been unmerged work done for OS-X and Windows desktop builds, but not sure if that is still being worked on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Update of XBMC within XBMC.0